OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

User and AI assigned runways

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
martinlest
Post subject: User and AI assigned runways
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:39 pm

Could someone kindly remind me the best way to avoid being assigned a landing runway only to find AI traffic is arriving head on as I approach? It seems to be happening ever more frequently.

I mostly fly FS9 with AS6.5 active (and seem to recall that I tried a number of options to disable wind changes in Active Sky which were supposed to help?? Whatever the tweaks/options were that I added, they don't seem to be working).

Thanks.

Martin

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Post subject: Re: User and AI assigned runways
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:41 pm

martinlest wrote: *  Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:39 pm
Could someone kindly remind me the best way to avoid being assigned a landing runway only to find AI traffic is arriving head on as I approach? It seems to be happening ever more frequently.

I mostly fly FS9 with AS6.5 active (and seem to recall that I tried a number of options to disable wind changes in Active Sky which were supposed to help?? Whatever the tweaks/options were that I added, they don't seem to be working).

Thanks.

You could try refreshing AI before linking PF3.

Martin

[ img ]

Profile Quote
JohnY
Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:57 am

FS9 Martin? Is that the one where you still have to put the discs in?

I started on that and loved the way the scenery focus rolled out so smoothly. All that was lost and we got steps in FSX and although it's improved in P3D the steps are still there.

Oh, for the old days! ;)

In respect of your question, I think there is some attempt the stop traffic getting in front of you when on approach but I've found the best way is to have only scheduled traffic on, say from 'My Traffic' and suppress all the sim' generated traffic......if that makes sense.

John

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:59 pm

Well, like many, I use the NoDisc 'crack' - not one of Microsoft's better ideas to have to have the CD in the drive. Not surprised they didn't repeat it with FSX (which I also have installed but rarely fly for various reasons).

Not sure what your 'solution' means John, I'm afraid. I am guessing that 'Mr.V' means refreshing the AI traffic in AS6.5. I can try that but by the time I find that Ai aircraft are landing at the opposite end of the runway to the one I have just landed on, it'd be a bit late. I could do the refresh as a matter of course, but clicking on the AS6.5 window minimises FS9 to the desktop (I always fly in full screen mode), which is a pain....

Profile Quote
pschlute
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:09 pm

Assuming that you have not closed a runway in PF3 the best way to ensure you will be using the same runway as other traffic (or at least not head-on), is to use the Active Sky options:

Force destination Wx zone

Force ATC wind lock

This will ensure your arrival wind is as as you expected (wont change during your flight), and AI will be governed by that weather. You need to load a flightplan into AS for these options to work.

PF3 takes it's "active runway" cue from the pattern of AI usage. If no AI are detected when it needs to make a decision it uses the wind. Any change in wind from the time it decides on a runway and the time you are approaching can cause AI aircraft to use the opposite end. In practice I very, very rarely experience this.

You say it happens a lot, what airport/runways/time of day does it happen at ?

Peter

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:57 pm

Quote:
Assuming that you have not closed a runway in PF3
No. ;)
Quote:
Force destination Wx zone
That's already checked
Quote:
Force ATC wind lock
I can't see such an option in AS6.5. I do have 'Extended Destination Wind Force' checked....

Maybe there's something in FSUIPC (registered version) that will help???

I have been flying around South America and have noticed this problem more than once.

One oddity is this: on my other PC I just took off from Cuzco, SPZO. Winds as shown by FS9 are between 240 and 330 degrees and I was directed to Rwy28 for takeoff. However, the info panel in AS6.5 disagrees wildly with the winds shown in the (red) FS9 onscreen info - currently 70 degrees. As I took off from Cuzco, an aircraft came in to land beneath me touching down on Rwy10. I checked wind direction from my startup till takeoff - there was no change sufficiently large to account for ATC sending me to Rwy28 and AI traffic to Rwy 10.

Why would AS6 and FS9 disagree so much on wind direction? Maybe, as FS9 weather is set to 'User Defined', the wind direction FS9 shows is irrelevant. But in that case, and the wind is 'really' at 70 degrees as shown by AS6.5 (or is that nonsense, this being a PC programme and there being no real wind??), why did ATC send me to Rwy28 for takeoff?

I may post this on Flightsim.com too... (don't use 'the other site' now).

Thanks,

Martin

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:09 pm

You can try hitting the weather refresh button in AS which should initiate a new send of weather data to the sim. Depending on your system resources it may take a while for the weather in the sim to refresh.

Occasionally I will cheat a bit and tune Com 2 to FS9 ATIS to see what FS (and hence the AI) will be doing. I have the volume in FS turned down but if you select the "Show ATC Text" option in FS9 you will see the display of FS9 ATIS when in range. This should show the runways that FS will be using for AI departures and arrivals, based on weather currently injected into the sim (even if no AI are active at the time).

If you do refresh or change the weather you may need to refresh the AI, as Vololiberista mentioned. You may be able to do this through the weather add-on but I usually move the AI down to 0 and then back up again.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
pasterke
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:17 pm

Hi Martin,

AS6.5: weather update

This version of Active Sky is no longer officially supported except for download links for reinstallation.

You may want to consider purchasing a newer version of Active Sky such as ASE if you are running FS9 or ASN for FSX.

https://hifisimtech.com/forums/showthre ... ctual-data

Regards,

patrick

[ img ]
[ img ][ img ]

Profile Quote
pschlute
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:52 pm

The options I referred to are in ASE for FS9. Are you loading a flightplan into AS...that is required to make the option works.

Peter

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:55 am

Quote:
The options I referred to are in ASE for FS9
Oh, I see. As I said, I only have AS6.5, not ASE.

I know AS6.5 has been unsupported for some time, but I hadn't actually noticed the servers had stopped providinbg METAR data. ASE is already 7 years old - I don't think I am going to splash out more cash (I have spent SO much this month on FS9 scenery etc. already) on a programme that old: doubtless it won't be that long before ASE is discontinued and the ASE servers stop providing live weather data as well!

I used to use downloaded and saved weather data in AS6.5, rather than live data - I have a file saved for every day of the year. I think I'll just go back to using that. I am not that worried whether the weather I fly in is actually what is happening in the real world at that exact moment, so long as I am not getting, say, snowstorms in Dubai... Or, I have loads of extra FS9 weather files downloaded from AVSIM (I think); I can sometimes use those too, if I fancy a downpour or a snowstorm.

Thanks...

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: