OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Suggestion: Give runway expectations at start of STAR

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Mike T
Post subject: Suggestion: Give runway expectations at start of STAR
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:28 am

Hi Dave, hear me out on this one.

It occurred to me (after all these years) that the destination runway transition for a given STAR should be given to you at the start of the STAR from Center. So for example:

Center: "Delta 121 is cleared to descend via the Eagul Five arrival, runway 26 transition."

OR more generally

Center: "Delta 121 is cleared to descend via the Eagul Five arrival, landing to the west."

You correctly have approach control clearing you for a given runway at the last waypoint but the pilot should know the runway transition at the start of the STAR. Of course winds can change while you're on the STAR and the runway transition can too, but that is usually something that you would get in real time from Center or Approach control.

Center: "Delta 121 continue via the Eagul Five arrival, now landing to the east."

Of course, if there you're on a STAR that is completely wrong for the new runway I don't think there is much PF3 can do since you can't change the STAR in real time. But in real life you can be pulled off the STAR and given vectors at any point then PF3 would have to know for what runways a given STAR is valid as part of the flight plan setup. Maybe a user designated checkbox on a STAR waypoints preceding the runway transition waypoint where PF3 checks the winds one final time?

I don't know if any of the above is even possible, but figured I'd mention it anyway since its Friday and you obviously have nothing better to do than listen to us PF3 users ask for stuff. :lol:

Regards,

Mike T.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Suggestion: Give runway expectations at start of STAR
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:01 am
Site Admin

Thanks Mike, I've added it to my 'things to look into'

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
m_j_lyons
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:51 pm

YES!

Flying the friendly skies of MSFS
XBox handle: mikejenlyons
Discord: m_j_lyons
A Pilot's Life 2: Michael Lyons

-- mike

Profile Quote
mrfoxik
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:25 pm

Hello. I have made the proposition for solving problems with wind change for STAR and runway change by other way of STAR waypoint handling.
This should fix all strange problems.
viewtopic.php?t=3980&sid=c5c32d547a6e16 ... c3bd0a23a9

Dynamic changing STAR and managing STAR waypoints during the flight would be awesome. In long STAR proc if you will load flightplan with some waypoints of STAR and if the wind will change you are wrecked :). Flying other STAR than preplaned in flight plan makes not small mess.
Wrong waypoint names in ATC instructions, wrong altitudes and it may happen that appr will never handoff you to tower, because you must flyover the last waypoint which is very often on opposite side of airport.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:21 pm
Site Admin

Mike T wrote: *  Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:28 am

It occurred to me (after all these years) that the destination runway transition for a given STAR should be given to you at the start of the STAR from Center. So for example:

Center: "Delta 121 is cleared to descend via the Eagul Five arrival, runway 26 transition."

OR more generally

Center: "Delta 121 is cleared to descend via the Eagul Five arrival, landing to the west."

You correctly have approach control clearing you for a given runway at the last waypoint but the pilot should know the runway transition at the start of the STAR. Of course winds can change while you're on the STAR and the runway transition can too, but that is usually something that you would get in real time from Center or Approach control.

Center: "Delta 121 continue via the Eagul Five arrival, now landing to the east."

Of course, if there you're on a STAR that is completely wrong for the new runway I don't think there is much PF3 can do since you can't change the STAR in real time. But in real life you can be pulled off the STAR and given vectors at any point then PF3 would have to know for what runways a given STAR is valid as part of the flight plan setup. Maybe a user designated checkbox on a STAR waypoints preceding the runway transition waypoint where PF3 checks the winds one final time?

I don't know if any of the above is even possible, but figured I'd mention it anyway since its Friday and you obviously have nothing better to do than listen to us PF3 users ask for stuff. :lol:

Regards,

Mike T.
This is in the current interim (beta) version, available now!

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
m_j_lyons
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:35 pm

YES!!!!

Flying the friendly skies of MSFS
XBox handle: mikejenlyons
Discord: m_j_lyons
A Pilot's Life 2: Michael Lyons

-- mike

Profile Quote
Mike T
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:13 am

dmarch wrote: *  Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:21 pm
Mike T wrote: *  Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:28 am

OR more generally

Regards,

Mike T.
This is in the current interim (beta) version, available now!
Wow Dave! I'll give it a whirl tomorrow. Thanks for this!

Profile Quote
Mike T
Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:59 pm

I can't believe you were able to implement this. It has worked wonderfully on my last couple of flights! No issues this far.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:25 am
Site Admin

Great news. Thanks for the feedback

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ashun
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:43 pm

is this feature available only on beta version? Do you know when will it be available for everyone?

Best wishes
Ash

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: