OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Procedure at uncontrolled airports?

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
martinlest
Post subject: Procedure at uncontrolled airports?
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:03 pm

Posting this for some help with my procedure - nothing amiss with PF3 I am sure...

I have read (and re-read) the entry in the user guide pdf (20.3) and what happens in the sim (XP11) is as described there. Good, as far as it goes.

But afterwards? OK, I am tuned to the departure frequency (PF3 will do that in Mode 1, yes?): then what? I am not hitting the right buttons I suppose, or have my keyboard shortcuts set up differently. Every time I do what seems right (but clearly isn't!) I am simply toggled between IFR and VRF flight plan request to ATC.

Thanks for any help with this - a 'step-by-step' is always good! What requests am I supposed to be making (via which hotkeys?), once I get to the end of what is described in para 20.3 in the guide?

And if I am flying to an airport which does have a tower, at what point do 'normal (controlled) operations' resume, and how? Do I just wait for PF3?

Don't often fly from airports with no ground and/or tower frequency, so am still a beginner here, even after some 15 years! :-)

Profile Quote
Dan77
Post subject: Re: Procedure at uncontrolled airports?
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:30 pm

martinlest wrote: *  Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:03 pm
OK, I am tuned to the departure frequency (PF3 will do that in Mode 1, yes?): then what? I am not hitting the right buttons I suppose, or have my keyboard shortcuts set up differently. Every time I do what seems right (but clearly isn't!) I am simply toggled between IFR and VRF flight plan request to ATC.
I don't think you are tuned to the correct frequency. You need to manually tune Departure frequency once airborne and press 0 to make contact. You can obtain the Departure frequency when first connecting PF3, or from PF3 Display Utility, or by pressing Hotkey 4 when tuned to FSS before takeoff. The fact that you are requesting VFR/IFR toggle suggests you are still tuned to FSS and not Departure. See the following post for more info.

viewtopic.php?p=21835#p21835

Quote:
And if I am flying to an airport which does have a tower, at what point do 'normal (controlled) operations' resume, and how?
If your destination airport is controlled, you will be handed from Approach to Tower in the usual way, when lined up on final to the assigned runway. If you are VFR you will be handed to Tower when you report you have the field in sight.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Post subject: Re: Procedure at uncontrolled airports?
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:40 pm

Quote:
I don't think you are tuned to the correct frequency. You need to manually tune Departure frequency once airborne
Thanks Dan.. I clearly need to check the departure frequency. I agree, the reason this hasn't been working for me is doubtless that I am not in fact tuned to it. I just assumed (never a good idea to 'just assume', is it?) that in Mode 1 PF3 would do the tuning, but in this instance, perhaps not. I'll make a careful note of the departure frequency next time and tune manually if need be. If I don't post back, you can assume all went well :-)

Thanks again

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: