OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Had to give up and use default ATC

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
JohnY
Post subject: Had to give up and use default ATC
Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:48 pm

Either the upgrade is a disaster or I'm getting worse but once again my flight today got mucked up!

I wanted to fly IFR. First of all, the TGS failed to get me to a correct holding point. I was left miles away from the runway which can't be right. I couldn't get clearance to take-off presumably firstly due to the distance to the runway and secondly when I reached the runway by guesswork and airport signs I couldn't get permission to take-off. Hotpoint 6 gave me nothing.

All I got in the way of instruction from then on was altitude instructions and no directions. Fortunately, I could use the GPS to get on course.

By this time I didn't know whether I was flying IFR or VFR and I ended up using default ATC.

I'm attaching the log for what its worth and frankly, I'm a bit fed up. What is so annoying is that I was having really good flights before the upgrade. Now everything seems to have gone awry. :(

John

Attachments
debug_monitor.zip
(148.71 KiB) Downloaded 127 times

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Had to give up and use default ATC
Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:14 pm
Site Admin

Okay, let's take things one at a time.... TGS can only be as good as the data provided. 99.9% of the time it's good and TGS does it's job perfectly well but there will always be the odd AFCAD file that contains bad data. Remember this is a simulator and there's no one actually looking out of a window or on a radar screen to guide you. We have to rely on good information with regard taxiways. And there were no changes to TGS for this update or for quite a few updates prior to this one. :)

The reason why you couldn't get permission to take off was because you never tuned to the Tower frequency. In fact you took off without permission and was still tuned to Ground control which is why of course you never received any instructions from ATC!

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:34 pm

JohnY wrote: *  Tue May 09, 2017 3:48 pm
Either the upgrade is a disaster or I'm getting worse but once again my flight today got mucked up!

I wanted to fly IFR. First of all, the TGS failed to get me to a correct holding point. I was left miles away from the runway which can't be right. I couldn't get clearance to take-off presumably firstly due to the distance to the runway and secondly when I reached the runway by guesswork and airport signs I couldn't get permission to take-off. Hotpoint 6 gave me nothing.

All I got in the way of instruction from then on was altitude instructions and no directions. Fortunately, I could use the GPS to get on course.

By this time I didn't know whether I was flying IFR or VFR and I ended up using default ATC.

I'm attaching the log for what its worth and frankly, I'm a bit fed up. What is so annoying is that I was having really good flights before the upgrade. Now everything seems to have gone awry. :(

John
The upgrade is not a disaster as you put it. As Dave has said there is nothing in the recent update that would have had a material effect on your flight in comparison to previous releases. It looks basically like a bad afcad file. Or you didn't run makerwys after installation and then update PF3. Your initial flightplan will tell you if it is IFR or VFR even before you start PF3. You will be surprised how bad some afcad files can get even with expensive payware airport scenery. Your departure airport KPUB has an unusual rwy layout and it's a fair bet the the afcad is not set up correctly.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
JohnY
Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:40 am

Ok - I do seem to remember using Makerways but now can't find it. As it isn't in the PF3 folder, can you give me a clue please as to where it might be?

I knew it was IFR to start. What I didn't know was having pressed the '6' button whether it had changed.

John

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:39 pm

JohnY wrote: *  Wed May 10, 2017 10:40 am
Ok - I do seem to remember using Makerways but now can't find it. As it isn't in the PF3 folder, can you give me a clue please as to where it might be?

I knew it was IFR to start. What I didn't know was having pressed the '6' button whether it had changed.

John
Makerwys should be in your main sim folder. Run it then when it is finished follow the instructions in "Rebuild PF3 database" in Options 1.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
JohnY
Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:05 pm

Yes, that's done it. Works fine now. :D

Thanks a lot.

John

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:13 pm

JohnY wrote: *  Wed May 10, 2017 10:40 am
Also note that the hotkey 6 function depends on the frequency you are tuned to at the time. When tuned to FSS it toggles IFR/VFR. When you are tuned to Tower, it requests takeoff clearance. If for some reason TGS doesn't get you to the holding point, deactivate it (if need be), taxi to the runway, tune Tower manually, and hit 6 for takeoff clearance.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
JohnY
Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:49 am

Thanks Dan.

Problem was, as '6' didn't give me take-off clearance I really didn't know what pressing it did.

Never mind its all over and done with now.......err.......until the next time. :roll: ;)

John

Profile Quote
reecemj
Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:31 pm

John what has really help me with pf3 is having networked computers. All the tools to see what atc has said or what keys to use is displayed on a 5 year old pc other than p3d is on. I can go make a cup of coffee or pour another glass of wine and return to check the screen to see if I missed anything. Without the second pc I dont think I would enjoy pf3 fully. If you have a second pc hook it up. :)

P.S. Is this the John that use to be on the Orbx forum?

Profile Quote
JohnY
Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:42 pm

:shock: I think my wife would object to me taken her laptop for that reecemj! :lol:

Yes. I'm the same one from Orbx. I tend to favour OzX now as I find the Orbx forum too restrictive and didn't like the way they dealt with Sue (Penzoil) who was a good supporter. It was far too heavy handed.

John

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: