OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

A Question re Profiles

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
A320Flyer
Post subject: A Question re Profiles
Posted: Fri May 03, 2024 5:16 pm

I usually fly IFR with the PMDG737 but lately I've been trying VFR with the FSR500.

To keep all of the appropriate PF3 settings, I've started to use PF3 Profiles. Works great! Except, under Select A Flight Plan, trying to set the A/C performance preset as different defaults under separate Profiles does not work. Is this correct?

Thanks
Bill

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: A Question re Profiles
Posted: Fri May 03, 2024 7:14 pm
Site Admin

That's correct. The preset data is not held in the PF3.INI file so it's not linked to any Profile... it's global

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
A320Flyer
Posted: Fri May 03, 2024 7:26 pm

Thanks, Dave.

Can I suggest this for a future update? :)

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sat May 04, 2024 11:26 am
Site Admin

I'll certainly give it some thought

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
SkyCamel
Posted: Sun May 05, 2024 10:55 am

Hi Dave, hope you're doing better and the recuperation goes as you would expect.
This thread put me to think ... :)
I'm using the "filtered sid/star" option and I'm very happy with that. Now At landing I can mess up all I want, after the entry waypoint of the STAR I'm actually "free" to fly the route down as I like, no ATC to nag me :D . I know, hardly realistic :oops:
It happens now and then that my flightplan doesn't either have a sid or star or even neither.
So I wanted to put in a feature request so that we can temperately switch of the "filter" on the FP loading page so we don't always have to adjust the options before loading different types of flightplans.
But the question of @A320flyer made me think of an even better (in my opinion ;) ) solution which might suite more different type of users.
Namely, why not have a "profile selector" button on the FP loading page. So we can easily pre-select the profile we're going to use depending on the flight plan we're going to load like VFR, IFR, with or without SID/STAR ... We can then make a profile with the preferred options for each type of flight.
Just a thought on a (for once) sunny Sunday morning :)
Take care!

Profile Quote
SkyCamel
Posted: Tue May 07, 2024 2:59 pm

Unfortunately the "profile" idea wouldn't work as the option "Filter Flightplan" is not saved in the profile :(

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Tue May 07, 2024 3:41 pm
Site Admin

It certainly is. When you changed the option it's saved to the INI file. It doesn't then populate across all existing profiles of course as that would make profiles pointless

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
SkyCamel
Posted: Tue May 07, 2024 5:12 pm

uhmm, don't follow you. I made two profiles. When the profile that I want to use without FP filtering I than save that with the option deactivated.
When I open the other profile with the FP filter activated it then shows that option active. However, if I now load the profile where this option was not activated, the FP filter stays activated and doesn't revert back to not activated.
I will test again tomorrow but I tried it several times and I'm pretty sure that's what happens.
If it doesn't work I will include the debug.

Profile Quote
SkyCamel
Posted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:23 am

Dave March wrote: *  Tue May 07, 2024 3:41 pm
It doesn't then populate across all existing profiles of course as that would make profiles pointless
That's obvious, maybe you shouldn't assume we're all stupid ;)

I figured it out. When you change options in "options 2" you then have to do "save changes".
I logically assumed it would then save the changes you just made to the current profile in use. Actually it doesn't, not to all profiles not to the current.
After you "save changes" you then have to go into profiles and override your current profile :roll:
I looks like the first profile you made is the "master profile" and all the other profiles just stores the deviations compared to the "master profile"
As long as you don't load the first profile again it actually retains the changes also without overriding the profile, you can restart PF3 and the changes are still there until you load the first profile. After that if you load the second profile it lost the changes you made in that profile as you didn't override the profile.
So if you did "save changes" but on top of that you don't do override the current profile it doesn't retain the change in the current profile.
So I don't know where the "save changes" make the changes, certainly not in the profile.
Cheers

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed May 08, 2024 11:01 am
Site Admin

Quote:
That's obvious, maybe you shouldn't assume we're all stupid
Sorry if that's how it came across, it certainly wasn't meant to.

So, with profiles, here's how they work.

You can make several changes to your PF3 Options but they are not automatically saved to your current profile, they are only saved to the INI file. If you want those changes in your profile then you need to resave the profile ie. overwrite it. This allows you to try various different options but then return to your previous settings whenever you wish.

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: