OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Issue with sound (wav) files (betas)

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
martinlest
Post subject: Issue with sound (wav) files (betas)
Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:51 pm

Hi... Wondering if something has been deliberately changed in recent betas with how the wav files are used. I have been having an issue which I haven't encountered for a long time in PF3, in that some short phrases are being inserted into pilot/ATC dialogue from a completely different sound set. So for example, today I have the pilot set as 'African 2' (quite British sounding!): when acknowledging ATC, I suddenly hear the short phrase 'cleared as filed' inserted into the reply - in a totally different ambience and totally different accent (South American). (I am not even sure why the pilot is saying 'cleared as filed' - that is what ATC says in response to the pilot's clearance request of course. I don't recall that the pilot then says it back to ATC?).

Something's surely gone wrong here - why isn't PF3 using the set 'African 2' pilot voice for 'cleared as filed'? It sounds pretty odd (and is very noticeable) of course to have changes of accent and volume/quality every so often for just a few words like this. I remember this happened in a previous update - maybe 18 months ago (or more), which was fixed. Hope this can be fixed too, as it really spoils (IMHO) what is otherwise a successful beta.

I have run the same flight more than once BTW, closing and restarting PF3, and the same thing happens; so it's not just a quirky 'one off'.

Thanks ;)
debug_monitor.zip
(27.62 KiB) Downloaded 152 times

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Issue with sound (wav) files (betas)
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:16 am
Site Admin

Hi Martin,

Most definitely nothing changed here. :o

The 'you're cleared to foxtrot' call used these files, all from the Wav\RadA folder

DTA 7375 Tango Roger. We'll open your flight plan at 59 you're cleared to Fox-Trot Yankee Whiskey Hotel Climb and maintain Flight Level 140 Departure 133.55

pfchat521A 'your'
RadA\pfchat327A 'cleared to'
RadA\pfFA 'foxtrot'

And your 'cleared as filed' used the wav files from the Wav/StdA folder

Roger thank you. cleared as filed Climb Flight Level 140 Departure 133.55 DTA 7375 Tango

pfatc56B 'Roger, thank you'
pfchat557B 'cleared as filed'
pfchat573B 'climb'

Perhaps you could give those a listen and let me know if anything sounds amiss. I would do it myself but am profoundly deaf these days and awaiting a cochlear implant. :roll:

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:30 pm

Hi Dave. Hope the implant goes well. I used to teach in a unit for children with cochlear implants (amazing devices!) at a local secondary school. The unit staff had to go to learn British Sign Language one or two evenings a week at a local college - even though it turned out that not a single child in the school understood it! So there was no in-school practice at all, and years on I can remember almost nothing of it.

OK, I listened to those files and this is happily just a 'one off', that I have coincidentally heard a few times, as I was using the same ATC voice choices I suppose...

The file pfchat557B 'cleared as filed' in the Wav/StdA folder is the 'culprit' - it is the wrong voice (Latin American sounding) with 'African 2' selected as pilot voice. I did a search and the correct (matching) 'African Pilot 2' wav file is the same file, pfchat557B, but the one in the folder Wav\StdB, not that in Wav\StdA.

Not sure how to correct this myself: simply replacing the sound file will doubtless mess things up when I choose a Latin American voice from the options.

Martin :-)

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:43 pm
Site Admin

Thanks Martin but you've lost me a little with this...
Quote:
The file pfchat557B 'cleared as filed' in the Wav/StdA folder is the 'culprit' - it is the wrong voice (Latin American sounding) with 'African 2' selected as pilot voice. I did a search and the correct (matching) 'African Pilot 2' wav file is the same file, pfchat557B, but the one in the folder Wav\StdB, not that in Wav\StdA.
So are you saying pfchat557B in Wav\StdA should really be the pfchat55B file in Wav\StdB? If that's the case just copy it over and I'll do the same here so it get's rolled out next release

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:05 pm

Sorry not to have been clear.

Yes, when I have 'African 2' selected as pilot voice, PF3 is using the file pfchat557B.wav in the Wav/StdA folder for the phrase 'cleared as filed'. That particular file is a Latin American voice. The file for 'cleared as filed' that matches the African 2 voice is the same file name but the one in the folder Wav\StdB.

So you are saying I just need to swap over the two files pfchat557B.wav between Wav\StdA and Wav\StdB? (Sounds logical!).

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:03 pm
Site Admin

I'm not saying swap them necessarily... the one in StdB certainly needs to be copied over to the one in StdA and if you think the one in StdB sounds better in StdA then yes, swap them. Whatever you do you will need to do exactly the same in the relevant Rad folders ie. RadA and RadB.

Just let me know what you end up doing

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:14 pm

Hmmm... I am not getting the problem now! :? Well, since I posted yesterday, I noticed that my departure airport LNUB should have a tower COM frequency. So I edited the relevant files and ran the PF3 database creation. Now, instead of 'Radio' on 122.20, I have 'Tower' on 118.90 (or whatever it is). The exchange between ATC and the pilot is now different, and perfectly 'normal'. So it seems that this issue only occurs when you have no tower or ground frequency and PF3 defaults to 122.20 Radio.

In the end, given that the problem with wrong wav files seems to occur under a very unusual set of circumstances, I am not going to change anything.

OK, I am not going to take up all your weekend, like I did last week! I am going back to flying! You get back to putting your feet up in the nice sunshine today :D

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:46 pm
Site Admin

:lol:

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave Leesley
Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:58 am

Got an issue with one yesterday...instead of Fox-Trot,said Fox-Rot.
Time is 1714/15 on debug monitor,according to log it was folder Rad E,

Attachments
debug_monitor.zip
(2.19 MiB) Downloaded 150 times

Regards Dave
Forum Moderator

[ img ]
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”