OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

New update won't install

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
martinlest
Post subject: New update won't install
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:49 am

Opened PF3 today and was informed an update was available... so I ran it and the files downloaded. However, I then got a little window, as attached, telling me I needed to specify the installation folder. On clicking 'OK' I was expecting a dialogue box to open where I could choose the installation folder (same as ever - the previous update didn't ask me this), but instead the update just closed and the PF3 GUI (not updated) opened again... Not sure why the updater is even asking for the installation path when after it closes down it can reopen the PF3 GUI - it must 'know' the correct location already.

Whatever, how can I fix this problem please? Thanks.

... Doing this didn't write anything to the debug_monitor.log - it still has an old file date, so I didn't attach it. runinstaller log just says:

Running the updates setup...
Waiting for job to complete...
Job complete...
Removing Setup program and Downloader...
Restarting PF3...
Close Log!

Attachments
[ attachment ]
grab_043.jpg (14.1 KiB) Viewed 2093 times

Last edited by martinlest on Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Post subject: Re: New update won't install
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:53 am

I get that every time. If you manually donwload and install the accumulative update it should update correctly.

John

My co-pilot is called Sid and he's a real Star!

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:55 am

I never had that before, it was only a few weeks ago that there was an update and it ran fine. No idea for now where I get the manual update from...

Maybe there's something here needs fixing Dave?

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:00 pm
Site Admin

martinlest wrote: *  Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:55 am
I never had that before, it was only a few weeks ago that there was an update and it ran fine. No idea for now where I get the manual update from...

Maybe there's something here needs fixing Dave?
Yes it does need fixing, if I can find what going wrong. Problem is there's only a couple of you getting the problem so it's a little more difficult to track down.

Anyway, the latest cumulative updates package is always available right here in the forum for problems such as these.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3324

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:04 pm

Ok, thank you Dave. Especially perplexing since until now auto-updating has never encountered this issue. I didn't change anything since the last time. Anyway, have installed manually. Thanks for the update!

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:01 pm

Like many people, I have PF3 and other GUIs on a second monitor and run my sim on the main one. This works, or used to work, fine.

Now I have installed the 3.10.12 update, the main PF3 GUI is where it was, but whenever I open the Options 1# window, it now does so split across my two monitors. Nothing I have tried fixes it. It used to open up on my main monitor, even though the main interface is on the second, but that was OK: split across the two screens like this is not. The position of the Options window in relation to the main interface has obviously changed (and is not user-customisable).

How can I get things back to how they were before I updated PF3 today (short of uninstalling the updates!)? Is reorganising all my app windows on the second screen to accommodate the PF3 options window my only 'option'?

Thanks. :)

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:17 pm
Site Admin

How very strange. Nothing's been changed re the display. I have two monitors here and the only time the Options #1 window is split across the two screens is if the main PF3 menu is close to one side of the second monitor. The Options #1 window will position itself centrally and relative to the main menu window and, since it's wider than the main window, if PF3 start very close to the monitor edge then yes, it could bridge both monitors.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:38 am

I just wrote a longish reply but I must have pressed a 'wrong' key on my keyboard as I got to the end of my three or four 'interesting' (??) paragraphs and everything I had typed was immediately lost. Couldn't get it back again. Drives me crazy!!!!! Essence of what I put is below. God I hate computers sometimes! Can't live with them, can't live without them...

Yes, my main PF3 GUI is (was) on the left side of the second monitor. Before the last update, the options window was, as now, fixed in relation to the main GUI, but well off to the left of it: it sat nicely on the very right-hand side of my main monitor. If I shifted the GUI on the second screen, the options window would move with it, but always to the left - definitely not on top of the GUI, like Options 2 window does, so it didn't straddle the monitors. Now options 1 window sits on top of the GUI, which being positioned where it is (was!), causes it to be split across the screens, as you correctly surmised (as it is larger, of course). When I click on 'Select a Flight Plan', BTW, the FP window still opens fully on my left hand monitor, nowhere near the main GUI.

I do use Window Manager, which certainly controls where the main PF3 window opens up each time, but it has never had any effect on any of the PF3 'sub-windows'. Still, that might be a factor, if there's no other explanation.

Bottom line was/is that I juggled all my many apps/windows on the second monitor and it looks Ok again, though different: I'll get used to the new layout I suppose - actually it might be an improvement.

Thanks.

(Now quickly click on 'Submit' before I lose the reply a second time!).

Profile Quote
Skivster
Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:12 pm

Decided to update and got the same error "You must select the main folder..." and so on.
Sadly the logs don't show anything useful, no error and whatnot.
I have the program installed not in the default location (C:\FS_Addons\PF3) but on another drive, in another folder. Maybe that's the reason something is borked with the updater?

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:03 am

Skivster wrote: *  Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:12 pm
I have the program installed not in the default location (C:\FS_Addons\PF3) but on another drive, in another folder. Maybe that's the reason something is borked with the updater?
I have a theory about the few users (including me) who can't use the automatic update. I haven't put it to the test as I would have to reinstall, but my suspicions are that it doesn't recognise non-letter characters. "Skivster" says his is installed in C:\FS_Addons\PF3 and mine is Z:\~FSX Utilities\PF3 . I just wonder if we hadn't used underscores, spaces and tildes, whether we might not have an issue. I have noticed a few other features in PFE that ignore them. What do you think, Dave?

John

My co-pilot is called Sid and he's a real Star!

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: