OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Runway confusion...

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Abcdeflijus
Post subject: Runway confusion...
Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:12 am

So I've been successfully learning PF3 and having more and more smooth flights. I really enjoy it.
But there are few things, that I might be doing wrong or I don't understand, so need some explanation...
I am flying regional routes, that Scandinavian company NextJet is operating from Arlanda, Stockholm to multiple destinations across the country. One day I was cleared to depart runway 26. As the airport to which I was flying was not far away, about 130 nm, I assumed, that weather conditions will be more or less same, so picked up runway 21 for landing in my flight plan. My guess was good this time. This airport did not have ATIS to check that in advance. Quick turn around and I am flying back to Arlanda. As my weather changing settings set to minimum, I was expecting, to land on the same runway 26 in Arlanda. But on route, checking ATIS for Arlanda, it already was giving runway 01L for landing and departing. So I've programed my computer for that runway. When I reached my last way point, approach has cleared me for runway 26 again! A bit of confusion, but still ok, managed to configure computer back for 26 and had a stable landing. Almost... About stable landing later...
So my few questions are:

1. When flying to airport that does not have ATIS, how to determine which runway will be in use for landing? Or this is normal to reach your last way point and only then receive clearance from ATC for runway? If it's so, then making a flight plan for specific running can be 50/50 gambling. Not a big problem with single runway airport, but would be nice to know in advance.

2. Arlanda case - anyone has any clue what happened? Is this normal to get info from ATIS for one runway, but be cleared for another? If I made a flight plan for 26 in a multiple runway airport, should I be expecting for this runway anyway? Other aircrafts were also landing on this runway. Was ATIS a fake message or PF3 mistake?

3. And last one for traffic on the same flight. As I mention i nearly had a smooth landing in Arlanda. On final when about 4 miles to the runway, another aircraft taxi o the runway for take off. Well, it was still 4 miles distance, normal even in real world as long as I know. Soon it started to accelerate and took off. Good I thought, now I can definitely land. But just on the short final, maybe less then a mile, another aircraft taxi in to position for take off. Need to say, I did a crime, flew over it and landed anyway. I just did not had time to practise go around! So what happened here? Does PF3 not control other aircrafts, especially for take offs and landings? And I was not instructed by ATC to go around, so I guess it was thinking everything is ok.

I would appreciate any comments on my situation. If it's a software problem, I hope developers will fix it!

Regards, Viktor.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Runway confusion...
Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:30 am
Site Admin

Quote:
1. When flying to airport that does not have ATIS, how to determine which runway will be in use for landing? Or this is normal to reach your last way point and only then receive clearance from ATC for runway? If it's so, then making a flight plan for specific running can be 50/50 gambling. Not a big problem with single runway airport, but would be nice to know in advance.
Even when flying to an airport that does have ATIS it has a maximum distance over which you could expect to receive it. I haven't double checked, so don't quote me, but I think it's about 80 miles in FS. Anyway, the best thing to use is PF3's ACARS system (default hotkey is #2). One thing you have to bear in mind though. with regard to determining the runway at your destination, is that nothing is 100% guaranteed... just like in the real world!

Firstly, PF3 determines which runway to use by checking to see if any AI Traffic is arriving departing and if so use the same runway. If there's no AI traffic detected, and there won't be if the airport is more than approximately 80 miles away (or thereabouts) because AI traffic is only active within that radius of your aircraft, it will use wind direction to determine which runway to use. Depending on which weather engine you're using and how you have it setup, this could change dramatically at you destination airport whilst enroute, so it is best to keep checking ACARS. (see the User Guide for more details on ACARS)
Quote:
2. Arlanda case - anyone has any clue what happened? Is this normal to get info from ATIS for one runway, but be cleared for another? If I made a flight plan for 26 in a multiple runway airport, should I be expecting for this runway anyway? Other aircrafts were also landing on this runway. Was ATIS a fake message or PF3 mistake?
Please see my previous answer
Quote:
3. And last one for traffic on the same flight. As I mention i nearly had a smooth landing in Arlanda. On final when about 4 miles to the runway, another aircraft taxi o the runway for take off. Well, it was still 4 miles distance, normal even in real world as long as I know. Soon it started to accelerate and took off. Good I thought, now I can definitely land. But just on the short final, maybe less then a mile, another aircraft taxi in to position for take off. Need to say, I did a crime, flew over it and landed anyway. I just did not had time to practise go around! So what happened here? Does PF3 not control other aircrafts, especially for take offs and landings? And I was not instructed by ATC to go around, so I guess it was thinking everything is ok.
PF3 cannot control AI traffic and only FS does that. Having said that we can and should stop runway incursions, in the same way as we stop other aircraft getting in your way during taxi to/from the runway. Always a very difficult issue to try and trace though if you have experienced problems but without a debug log we have no chance whatsoever.

Please always include the debug_monitor.log file from your PF3 ...\Logs folder by zipping and attaching it to your post. You could do so now if you haven't done another flight since this problem occurred. If you only done one more flight since it happened then please include the Old_Debug_Monito.log, but if you've done more than two more flights the evidence is gone I'm afraid.

It would also help when reporting problems to tell us which FS you are using

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Abcdeflijus
Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:50 pm

Hello Dave,

Thank you for your detailed answer, appreciate it so much!
Sorry this is my first post, so did not know what info to submit :?: promise this won't happen again :D
I am flying in P3D. And I think I already did couple more flights, so probable debug log will be lost :(
If it happens again I will know about this already and sure will give you a chance to study the case.

Back to the flight, I am always using PF3 ACARS with hotkey #2 and I am checking weather regularly at about 10 miles to my last way point which is about 20 miles from the airport. But if it is a small airport that does not have ATIS I receive message something like "ATIS not available for your destination airport" or something like that, don't remember exactly now.

Well if you say it is normal to be cleared for other runway even in real world at any moment, than not a problem. I'll do more flights and if there will be similar issues, will let you know.

Regards, Viktor.

Profile Quote
Skivster
Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:34 pm

You could always "block" specific runway and "designate" one via PF3, using the SID/STAR subpage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTBm4T4V0do I've watched this video countless times, and learned a thing or two how to use PF3.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: