OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Move to Windows 10

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
johnhinson
Post subject: Move to Windows 10
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:18 am

Good morning,

I have recently had to transfer my FSX to a Windows 10 computer owing to the old one finally curling its toes up. Although there is a bit of fiddling with settings, I think it is basically running fine - but I have a lot to learn about W10 in general!

I do have a couple of questions specific to PF3. I made my first attempt at a flight today (it didn't go very well as the default yoke settings were wrong, but that's not relevant here).
  1. I seem to have a sound volume issue with PF3. When I start a flight, the voices are very quiet, almost indiscernable. After a minute or so they jump to normal volume. On several occasions during a flight they fade again (even in the middle of a sentence) and later back to normal levels again. I suspect this is a hardware issue but nothing else is affected this way, FSX itself and FDC are fine. Has anybody else experienced this and solved it? Log is attached in case anything might be identified from it. (I hope it doesn't show how awful my landing was!).
  2. Is it normal for some gauges to not work in Windows 10 that worked fine under Windows 7? In particular, the TGS gauge I was using (which isn't the one illustrated in the manual) doesn't show any more (nor do some dials on various aircraft). If that's the case, I will try the guage mentioned in the manual but don't want to start editing every aircraft if there is a different solution.
Thanks in advance.

John

My co-pilot is called Sid and he's a real Star!

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Post subject: Re: Move to Windows 10
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:26 am

Whoops! Something got left behind . . .

Attachments
old_debug_monitor.zip
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 79 times

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:31 am
Site Admin

1. From our FAQ'1
Quote:
This is possibly Windows thinking that the ATC voices are some sort of telephony. A possible solution is to right-click on the speaker icon in the tray, click on Sounds, select the "Communications" tab and change "When Windows detects communications activity:" from "Reduce the volume ..." to "Do nothing".
2. Which gauge are you using... TG2?

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:38 pm

Thanks, Dave,

Re item 1 - I didn't have that option but some research on the net found that you now access it with Windows + R > mmsys.cpl . (Just mentioning that in case anyone else needs to do the same.)

I have changed the setting as suggested, it certainly sounds promising and I will report back when I have next got my feet off the ground.

2. Spot on! It is TGS2 indeed. Should I use tgs.gau instead?

Best regards,

John

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:19 pm
Site Admin

No, TGS2 is the latest and certainly works in Win 10, in fact it was developed in Win 10

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:44 pm

Thanks, Dave, a real mytery then. I've tried both gauges but no-go. They aren't the only ones but most seem OK.

I still need to install my panel editing software but I shall do that when I can and see if that offers any clues.

Best regards,

John

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:58 am

An update on the gauges issue.

FS Panel Studio reported that file CABARC.EXE was missing. This is a Windows file that existed in Windows 7 but is not provided in Windows 10. I copied the file from my old Windows 7 disc and the errant gauges now display in FS Panel Studio. But they still do not display in the simulator!

Looking at the web it seems that just a handful of people have encountered this but despite many bright suggestions (all of which I have tried) the discussions fizzle out without any firm solution. Given that Windows 10 has been around a while, this suggests this is not exactly a typical problem.

This would not seem to be specifically a PF3 problem, so unless I find a solution it is probably inappropriate to go on at length here. Meanwhile I can edit the panels to use different gauges that work for the dials etc, but will have to manage without a TGS gauge of any sort.

I still haven't tested out the sound solution but will report back on that.

John

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:01 am
Site Admin

Don't you just love 'puters?

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
pointy56
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:07 am

I was still struggling with erratic sound volumes even after making this change:
Quote:
This is possibly Windows thinking that the ATC voices are some sort of telephony. A possible solution is to right-click on the speaker icon in the tray, click on Sounds, select the "Communications" tab and change "When Windows detects communications activity:" from "Reduce the volume ..." to "Do nothing".
I found the following 'fix' that seems to have sorted things out:

In Settings/System/Sound, select 'App volume and device preferences' at the bottom of the page under 'Advanced sound options'; at the bottom of the next page select 'Reset'.
Equalising the sound levels for all the various apps sorted out my remaining issues, and overall volume can still be controlled with the 'Master volume'.

Hope this helps,
Martin

[ img ]

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:35 pm

dmarch wrote: *  Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:01 am
Don't you just love 'puters?
Indeed! Especially as we are all forced to update Windoze 10 when it suits Microsoft so our systems are "all the same". Ha blooming ha.
pointy56 wrote: *  Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:07 am
I found the following 'fix' that seems to have sorted things out:

In Settings/System/Sound, select 'App volume and device preferences' at the bottom of the page under 'Advanced sound options'; at the bottom of the next page select 'Reset'.
Equalising the sound levels for all the various apps sorted out my remaining issues, and overall volume can still be controlled with the 'Master volume'.
Thanks for the suggestion, Martin, but as it turns out its not actually needed here. I was just coming on to tell Dave that his suggestion has done the trick. But your input is appreciated.

Best regards to all,

John

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: