OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Question about "runway in sight"

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
m_j_lyons
Post subject: Question about "runway in sight"
Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:53 pm

So when I'm flying IFR IRL to an airfield and see the airfield and can safely remain clear of weather to land I'd declare runway in sight...cancel IFR...and proceed with a visual approach. PFE3 provides the command to declare RW in sight with approach...but what does that do? Or better yet - what does ATC expect me to do after that command is sent? I've seen that if I proceed with visual maneuvering I get yelled at if I drop altitude...so what's a dumb pilot to do?

No log attached as this is just a general question of how the code works.

Cheers, mike

Flying the friendly skies of MSFS
XBox handle: mikejenlyons
Discord: m_j_lyons
A Pilot's Life 2: Michael Lyons

-- mike

Profile Quote
Dan77
Post subject: Re: Question about "runway in sight"
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:21 am

I must admit I don't know the effect of reporting airport in sight when flying IFR, as I haven't done it. If you are being vectored and have the field in sight and want to complete the approach visually, you can press hotkey 1 to request clearance at pilot's discretion, which will cancel vectoring and allow you to complete the approach on your own. If you are using CP Mode 2 you will be handed to Tower when on final to the assigned runway, unless you line up on a very short final in which case you may need to tune Tower manually and press hotkey 1 to get landing clearance.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
m_j_lyons
Post subject: Re: Question about "runway in sight"
Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:46 pm

Thanks, I'll just stick with the 'own navigation to final' options from now on. I guess it does make. Sense that the 'field in sight' command is more for VFR as it always requests cancelation right after.

Thanks for the response.

Flying the friendly skies of MSFS
XBox handle: mikejenlyons
Discord: m_j_lyons
A Pilot's Life 2: Michael Lyons

-- mike

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: