OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Flying between uncontrolled Airports?

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
jimh20
Post subject: Flying between uncontrolled Airports?
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:51 pm

Hi,
Previously, I have flown only between larger airports with Control Towers. I'd like to tour around Australia using some of the numerous small airfields and dirt strips.
Could someone please explain the necessary steps to initiate and fly a PF3 flight plan from and to such fields? So far I've only found that if I tune Com freq.122.00, I can get the weather!

Regards, Jim

Profile Quote
Dan77
Post subject: Re: Flying between uncontrolled Airports?
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:45 pm

If you are departing from an uncontrolled airport and cannot obtain clearance on a Clearance, Ground, or Tower frequency, tune FSS and press 0 to open your flight plan. The FSS frequency for your departure airport can be found by using the PF3 Display Utility (pf3_display.exe, located in your PF3_Displayer folder) once PF3 is connected to the sim, or if there is no designated FSS frequency for your departure airport, use 122.20. You can then taxi at your discretion and use a Multicom or Unicom frequency (if your departure airport has one) to announce you are taking the runway. Once airborne, tune Departure frequency and press 0 to make contact (you can find the Departure frequency using the Display Utility). When landing at an uncontrolled airport, you can use Multicom or Unicom frequencies to announce when you are turning base, final, etc. Once on the ground, if your flight plan was not canceled in the air, you should ask FSS to close your flight plan. The Display Utility provides a list of key commands, or you can use Notepad to open and print the pf3_disp.dat file (also found in your PF3_Displayer folder).

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
jimh20
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:31 pm

Thank you very much, Dan. That's a very complete answer indeed!

Since this is all very new to me, I'll look for the Displayer, have a go and report back.

Thanks again, Jim

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:30 am

Here is transcript for a short hop from the uncontrolled EDWO to the controlled EDDG:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2869&p=17431#p17431

With this you can at least see the uncontrolled departure procedure.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
jimh20
Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:48 pm

Many thanks to you both!

I completed my first successful flight today, between two little strips out in the Australian Bush!

Best Regards, Jim

Profile Quote
johnbla
Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:47 am

Dan77 wrote: *  Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:45 pm
If you are departing from an uncontrolled airport and cannot obtain clearance on a Clearance, Ground, or Tower frequency, tune FSS and press 0 to open your flight plan. The FSS frequency for your departure airport can be found by using the PF3 Display Utility (pf3_display.exe, located in your PF3_Displayer folder) once PF3 is connected to the sim, or if there is no designated FSS frequency for your departure airport, use 122.20. You can then taxi at your discretion and use a Multicom or Unicom frequency (if your departure airport has one) to announce you are taking the runway. Once airborne, tune Departure frequency and press 0 to make contact (you can find the Departure frequency using the Display Utility). When landing at an uncontrolled airport, you can use Multicom or Unicom frequencies to announce when you are turning base, final, etc. Once on the ground, if your flight plan was not canceled in the air, you should ask FSS to close your flight plan. The Display Utility provides a list of key commands, or you can use Notepad to open and print the pf3_disp.dat file (also found in your PF3_Displayer folder).
Hi, quick question. If landing at an uncontrolled airport, how do you get the active runway if the airport has no ATIS? Thanks in advance.

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:41 pm

johnbla wrote: *  Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:47 am
If landing at an uncontrolled airport, how do you get the active runway if the airport has no ATIS?
If you are flying IFR into an uncontrolled airport, Approach will provide vectors to the appropriate runway before terminating services. If you are flying VFR into an uncontrolled airport, you select the best runway for landing. After you are in contact with Approach and before reporting the airport in sight, leave the frequency for a moment and manually tune Unicom for your destination airport (use PF3 Display to get the frequency). Use hotkey 7 to request the field advisory for the airport, which will help you select the best runway. Then return to Approach frequency.

'Kilo Alpha Victor X-Ray (Local) Traffic Cessna 732 17 Miles northeast at 4 thousand Request field advisory '
'Cessna 732 Winds 250 at 13 Altimeter is 3003 '

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
johnbla
Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:20 am

Many tks.

Profile Quote
johnbla
Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:26 am

Dan77 wrote: *  Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:41 pm
johnbla wrote: *  Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:47 am
If landing at an uncontrolled airport, how do you get the active runway if the airport has no ATIS?
If you are flying IFR into an uncontrolled airport, Approach will provide vectors to the appropriate runway before terminating services. If you are flying VFR into an uncontrolled airport, you select the best runway for landing. After you are in contact with Approach and before reporting the airport in sight, leave the frequency for a moment and manually tune Unicom for your destination airport (use PF3 Display to get the frequency). Use hotkey 7 to request the field advisory for the airport, which will help you select the best runway. Then return to Approach frequency.

'Kilo Alpha Victor X-Ray (Local) Traffic Cessna 732 17 Miles northeast at 4 thousand Request field advisory '
'Cessna 732 Winds 250 at 13 Altimeter is 3003 '
Just a quick question. Did the above and all is fine. However, when I reported base I did not get the opportunity to select which runway I wanted to land at. I turned base for one runway and PF3 announced another runway. Did I miss something? Log file attached. Thanks again in advance.

Attachments
debug_monitor.rar
(221.32 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:57 am
Site Admin

Runway 17 would have been the correct runway to use based on the wind direction :)

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: