OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums
It is currently Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:40 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder.

Post subject: Re: Feature Requests
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:22 pm 

I already posted a thread but there are a few things I would suggest working on coming from someone that never used Vatsim and used a few ATC Programs on X-Plane 11 and the default MSFS ATC.

The most obvious point is the whole usability. As bad as the default X-Plane 11 and MSFS atc are they are easy to use and intuitive. I need 10 buttons to control the whole ATC :1-0

And those are mostly used for climb and descend.

Comparison: When I'm at cruise MSFS offers me to ask for a different altitude. So I just press buttons 2 or 3 and then I can press 1-9 to actually choose it. I don't need to find the Hotkeys for that function because I don't need to. This is pretty important in VR since you can't see your Keyboard. So pressing multiple buttons at once is not practical.
A proper context sensitive menu works a lot better. You can of course still keep the hotkey option as it is on top of that.

I thought about how I could use the program while in VR and chose hotkeys like qwerasdyx so I can have them close together, similar to playing MMORPGs ith lots of buttons and no time to look at your keyboard. For readback I wanted to choose ^ but the program shows this as \ probably because of my German keyboard layout. The > button even crashed the program.
And since the ^ needs 2 keypresses on US or British layouts instead of one I cannot use it at all.
It is also not possible to assign the Shift and CTRL keys as single keypresses eliminating even further options. I also cannot assign any buttons of my Hotas since it is not recognised by the program at all.

Also Navigraph integration should still be done: A use case: When flying towards an Airport I like to tune in the ILS frequency after looking at the corresponding Navigraph chart. This works flawlessly in the default ATC. As soon as I am in range The message starts playing without me needing to do anything else after tuning in the position.

To test this I started a flight in the TBM 930 standing at EDFE and tuning in 118.730 for the EDDF ATIS. PF3 simply does nothing. I can see the EDFE frequencies on the little Black window but not the ones from EDDF.
Since it probably uses the default frequencies I have no way to know what ATIS frequency EDDF uses and even if there is a way it is not on obvious way. And yes I found those ATIS options in the menu.
I could probably get rid of Navigraph and use LNM to get the them but that doesnt make any sense at all.

Ill be honest: I just want the default MSFS ATC with proper vectoring, less bugs, maybe a bit better phraseology, emergencies and maybe some penalties when doing something wrong, but that should be left to Onair I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
The most obvious point is the whole usability. As bad as the default X-Plane 11 and MSFS atc are they are easy to use and intuitive. I need 10 buttons to control the whole ATC :1-0
I only need 1 hotkey to use PF3 because I utilise the VCP :D
Quote:
Comparison: When I'm at cruise MSFS offers me to ask for a different altitude. So I just press buttons 2 or 3 and then I can press 1-9 to actually choose it. I don't need to find the Hotkeys for that function because I don't need to. This is pretty important in VR since you can't see your Keyboard. So pressing multiple buttons at once is not practical.
A proper context sensitive menu works a lot better. You can of course still keep the hotkey option as it is on top of that.
Well I don't use VR nor will I, as I suffer from vertigo and the two don't go together. However, I would have thought the best thing would be to use vice recognition, then you won't need any hotkeys at all.
Quote:
Also Navigraph integration should still be done: A use case: When flying towards an Airport I like to tune in the ILS frequency after looking at the corresponding Navigraph chart. This works flawlessly in the default ATC. As soon as I am in range The message starts playing without me needing to do anything else after tuning in the position.
PF3 doesn't use its own frequencies, it uses the data from MSFS, so I'm not sure I understand your issue here. Obviously you have to rebuild the PF3 database to ensure everything is in sync, especially after MS release an update.
Quote:
To test this I started a flight in the TBM 930 standing at EDFE and tuning in 118.730 for the EDDF ATIS. PF3 simply does nothing.

On my system the ATIS info for EDDF is as follows:-

EDDF,118.02,50.03333,8.570556,"Frankfurt/Main"
EDDF,118.72,50.03333,8.570556,"Frankfurt/Main"

So no, if you tuned to 118.730 PF3 would not recognise it. Also that's an 8.33Khz frequency which is not currently supported by PF3 yet anyway so you would have to use 118.72 as shown above

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

Without a log it didn't happen!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:05 pm 

Navigraph also updates the frequencies of the sim to match the charts. But it is integrated via the community folder. So no idea how it all works under the hood, but you might only get the base values, which then differ from the charts.
If you have not tried VR yet you should. I get sick when riding in a car and Could not play Resident Evil 7 for long on PSVR but I can do barrel rolls and loopings without any issues on MSFS with an Index.

MSFS has the same VCP function build in too, but I think I only briefly used it as I look through the options because it really don't like that amount of automation. Might be useful with airliners but doesn't make any sense for anything else.
Also you would still need more hotkeys for emergencies different altitudes and so on because I doubt the VCP will know when I have a fuel leak caused by another program.

1 button only can only work if you file a full flightplan including STAR and approach and never change it in flight, which I guess some people do, but not my cup of tea.
Setting up voice is possible for many things but can also be a hassle to get working right. It should be an option but not a requirement.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:00 pm 

When a STAR is defined in the adjustment page, it would be nice to have both a start and a end for the STAR. The end would also allow you to enter an ending altitude for the STAR before terminating into the approach. Then, ATC will call out something like "cleared via XXXX STAR. Descend at pilots discretion to XXXX. Altimeter XX.XX". Altimeter call only applies if the STARs final altitude is below the transition, of course. What do you think?

-Rick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:08 pm 

In response to "So no, if you tuned to 118.730 PF3 would not recognise it. Also that's an 8.33Khz frequency which is not currently supported by PF3 yet anyway so you would have to use 118.72 as shown above", I think at this point 8.33khz support would be wise. To many times when your flying the frequencies do not the charts. Also, when using PMS50 GTN 750 and switches 8.33khz support to25, it does not always align the frequency with PF3. 8.33 support makes sense at this point. I think more and more future GPS addons will be supporting 8.33.

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
In response to "So no, if you tuned to 118.730 PF3 would not recognise it. Also that's an 8.33Khz frequency which is not currently supported by PF3 yet anyway so you would have to use 118.72 as shown above", I think at this point 8.33khz support would be wise. To many times when your flying the frequencies do not the charts. Also, when using PMS50 GTN 750 and switches 8.33khz support to25, it does not always align the frequency with PF3. 8.33 support makes sense at this point. I think more and more future GPS addons will be supporting 8.33.

Matt
Yes, we plan to support 8.33 at some point going forward, although it's quite a major task. We obviously have to maintain support for all frequencies for those using hardware that simply doesn't handle 8.33. As for matching charts I doubt that's ever going to be totally possible as sim data is generally always out of date.

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

Without a log it didn't happen!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:48 pm 

Any chance that in a future update the 'Load a Flight Plan' window could be 'grabbable' at the edges with the mouse, so that it can be drawn out bigger? Many file names disappear off the right-hand edge of the window and where there are similarly-named plans, it's not possible to see which is which (the 'crucial' info being too far to the right).

Also be good (whilst you were at it Dave!), if, as has been suggested before, hitting, say, the Y' key on the keyboard would scroll the plan list down to the start of plans beginning with 'Y'. SO many flight plans now... That's just a tiny added convenience of course.

Martin