OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Re-install issues

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
johnhinson
Post subject: Re-install issues
Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:45 am

Many years ago I purchased FDC Live Cockpit from Aerosoft to replace my original disc copy which had become defective. Aerosoft direct me here for assistance with a new problem. I have used it for many years with FS2004 and more recently with FSX, without problem.

I recently installed Active Sky 16 and since doing so, every time I run FDC it starts up a dialog searching for the installation files to install AS16! I'm not sure why, AS16 was working fine but I have removed and reinstalled AS16 as a precaution.

So I am now trying to reinstall FDC but even with downloading the current version from Aerosoft, this has proved impossible.

I have to run the install file as administrator - not a problem.
It confirms my registration code is correct.
It detects my system as Vista when it is Windows 7
It refuses to recognise my current version of FSUIPC4 and stops the install unless I remove it and let it install a much older version
It asks for my FSUIPC registration code when I am on the free version, so I have to click on Cancel.
It then whirls a lot of messages about installation past (unreadable) but when I go to the chosen install directory (not program files!) it is completely empty so it isn't installing any files at all!

Any ideas?

John

My co-pilot is called Sid and he's a real Star!

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Re-install issues
Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:32 pm
Site Admin

I find it somewhat strange that Aerosoft would send you here with an issue over setup installation as 'they' wrote the installer. I was not involved in that side of things at all, other than providing all the files for the installation.

Sorry to say but I don't think I can be of any help.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:27 pm

Thanks, Dave,

I am able to reinstate the original FDC of course, but it still strangely calls to install Active Sky (and I have just realised it is looking for the installer for my old Active Sky v6 I used to use with FS2004!). I reckon something is cross-wobbled in the registry.

Anyway, I guess I can live with leaning on "Cancel" every time but I shouldn't have to.

John

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:16 pm
Site Admin

Is the Active Sky your installing an Aerosoft version too?

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave Leesley
Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:07 pm

Hi John,
I had an issue with HiFi Sim's Activesky many years ago doing similar..not with FDC i don't think.
It sounds like you do have a registry issue or issues with both programs getting tangled with each other.
You could try going into regedit and deleting any keys or entries for both programmes but that could be a tad risky if not sure what you are looking for.
I run both AS16 and FDC with FSX Steam Edition and no issues.
Ever thought of upgrading to Windows 10 as that is my system and it runs both programmes ok,

Regards Dave
Forum Moderator

[ img ]
[ img ]

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:13 am

Thank you Dave and Dave (!),

Having rumbled it wasn't the current Active Sky version, I was able to resolve this. I dug out the installer file for the old version and ran it again. It was one of those nice, friendly, old installers that gave you three options - Reinstall, Repair or Remove. I chose the lattter although I didn't think there was anything to remove. It bumbled away for a few seconds and announced "job done" and it had indeed done the job! Everything is now back working as it should.

Thanks for your time on this although it obviously wasn't an FDC issue.

It has caused me to ponder that I must have been using this piece of software for about twenty years - I think I had FS2002 when I first used it. How wonderful it is that it still works after all these years. I wonder how many flights it has been on with me alone. Probably a record number this year . . .

Best regards to all,

John

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:30 am
Site Admin

That's great that you have things running normally again. FDC was indeed originally published as Flightdeck Companion in 2002. I'm pleased it's served you so well.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Return to “FDC Support”
Jump to: