Welcome to our Product Support Forums

PFE Database

Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 40 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Bernie
Post subject: Re: PFE Database
Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:00 am

Thanks for the job Dave :shock:.

Probably won't be able to do it today - minor crisis - but I'll get on to it tomorrow.

Wee bit apprehensive as for a day or so I lost the ability to use PFE because of these issues. Presumably tho' I can just back up what I have now in case we have a situation shaped as a pear.

Bernie

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:14 am
Site Admin

Absolutely... just backup the entire PFE\Data folder

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:27 pm
Site Admin

Hi Bernie,

Thanks for the files.

Good news and bad news.

Good news is I was able to recreate the problem.... bad news is there's nothing I can do about it although you may be able to. I don't have the Aerosoft EGLC so was unable to try what I'm about to suggest.

Now, the issue is EGLC is actually missing from all the relevant MakeRwy files you sent me for some reason. But my guess is this.... The way I believe the program works is it scans the scenery.cfg file and processes each scenery item as it finds it. Assuming that should it find a duplicate that any previous entries for the same airport can be dropped and the subsequent entries retained for the final file creation.

So, according to your runways.txt file it finds the default EGLC as indicated here:-

Airport EGLC N51:30:18.9957 E000:03:18.9995 19ft
City Name="London"
Airport Name="London City"
in file: Scenery\0601\scenery\APX48130.bgl

It then continues and further down the list it finds the new Aerosoft EGLS as indicated here:-

=============================================================================
Area.159 "London City Airport X)" (Layer=157)
Local=Aerosoft\London City Airport X
Aerosoft\London City Airport X\scenery\EGLC_ADE_BR.BGL

Airport EGLC N51:30:18.9957 E000:03:18.9995 20ft
City Name="London"
in file: Aerosoft\London City Airport X\scenery\EGLC_ADE_BR.BGL

Delete all taxiways!

Delete all runways and starts!

Delete all taxiways!

COM: Delete all frequencies!

If you notice the DELETE entries which is where I believe it removes the previous entries read into its internal tables. Normally this works just fine, because most of us have added replacement airport sceneries, etc. But further scanning of the runways.txt files finds further entries for EGLC as shown below:-

Aerosoft\London City Airport X\scenery\EGLC_ADE_BR_CVX.bgl
Aerosoft\London City Airport X\scenery\EGLC_buildings.bgl
Aerosoft\London City Airport X\scenery\EGLC_exclude.bgl

Airport EGLC N51:30:18.9957 E000:03:18.9995 19ft
City Name="London"
in file: Aerosoft\London City Airport X\scenery\EGLC_exclude.bgl

Delete all taxiways!

Delete all runways and starts!

Delete all taxiways!

COM: Delete all frequencies!

Taxiname: #0 =
FSM A/P EGLC, lat=51.505280, long=0.055278, alt=19
Aerosoft\London City Airport X\scenery\EGLC_lights.bgl
Aerosoft\London City Airport X\scenery\EGLC_platform.bgl
Aerosoft\London City Airport X\scenery\EGLC_signs.bgl
Aerosoft\London City Airport X\scenery\EGLC_stuff.BGL

As you can see in the above example the entries marked for deletion, which I assume to be the last entries read for EGLC.

Now this is purely guess work on my part as I have no idea how MakeRwys actually works but what I would suggest is to either remove the entry for this BGL file (not sure why you need it anyway, and see if that works or deactivate the original EGLC from the scenery.cfg file so you are left with just the Aerosoft one. Again not sure if that will do the trick.

Failing that, or anything else you could try, I'm afraid you will have to report this to Pete Dowson... in fact I think it should be reported anyway even if you find a workaround because it is clearly not working how I would expect he thought it would. I can't do it myself as I don't have the scenery in question and Pete may well ask for a copy of one or more BGL files to aid his problem resolution.

Hope that helps and please let us know here how you get on

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Bernie
Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:38 am

Thanks very much Dave for the in-depth response. I suspected that the prob lay in the Aerosoft EGLC files. I'll try to get my head around this a little later today.

Pete is going to be pleased when he gets back.

Bernie

Profile Quote
Bernie
Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:18 pm

Hello Dave

Had a quick look at the various files - just sufficient to get me totally confused. I don't understand how Makerwys works - I thought it scanned only the scenery.cfg file. In this file is only the one reference to Aerosoft's EGLC.

In the appropriate scenery file in FSX there are around 20 bgl files - presumably M/rwys dipped into that store a couple of times to extract information - why it should I haven't a clue, neither do I know from which file(s) it takes the data it needs to compile its tables. There seems to be no differences between the entries in the EGLC scenery file and those of any other add on scenery.

In the circs I have no idea which of the bgl files to exclude. There doesn't seem to be much point in excluding the default airport as I assume that Makerwys will still do its double take on the Aerosoft offering.

Looks like disappointment until Pete's return - I sent a report to his site.

Bernie

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:20 pm
Site Admin

Like you Bernie, I have no idea how MakeRwys works either... I 'guessed' it was using the scenery.cfg file... in fact I'm sure it does. None of the default airports are listed in the scenery.cfg file are they... So I guess it just picks them up from the various BGL's which it finds by referencing the scenery.cfg file for the various countries/continent.

Have you tried removing that Aerosoft Exclude BGL file because it's at that point the problem occurs

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Bernie
Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:12 am

Hello Dave

Yep, I tried ditching the exclude file. Interestingly, this made the scan process much quicker for Makerwys. The experiment was partially succesful in that the Runways.txt file no longer contains duplicate entries for A/soft EGLC and so the data for the first entry is no longer deleted.

The PFE u/d process proceeds fine and I thought I'd cracked it when I received clearance instructions. However the taxi instruction later instructed runway 28 via taxiway .. blank .. The Log showed error as - Error in GetRoute:8. I assume the taxiway data is incomplete.

Sleep and frustration overcame me at this point so I have no idea if there are any further errors. I hope to have another try later today - if the spirit is willing.

Bernie

Profile Quote
Bernie
Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:20 pm

Quick follow up Dave, I completed the flight - EGLC - EGBE. No taxiway instructions were provided as before, however, TGS was active although the directions given were inaccurate. All else during the flight went as it should, tho' the pilot spilt coffee down his trousers.

Oddly at EGBE there was no further contact with PFE after the instruction to contact Ground when clear of the runway.

Bernie

Profile Quote
Ray Lunning
Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:40 pm

Dave: Just for the record...I rebuild my DB everytime I add an addon airport...It always works fine...As you know I only fly the USA...

I have no problems with TGS finding runways and taxiways..( at least since I removed Norton )..so I can say my PFE works..perfectly..

EXCEPT..!!.. I have one addon airport...KPDX Portland by Flight Zone...A payware addon... TGS does not see anything...No taxi instructions via etc... No TGS activation... For some reason this airport does not behave as all the others do.. I have a lot of other Payware airports in my scenery library...all excellent and they all work...

Only KPDX doesn't work....?? No need to explore why... I just thought I would add this observation to this post...

Ray

Ray Lunning
PFE and FDC beta tester

Profile Quote
Ray Lunning
Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:59 pm

Dave: I just created a flight from KPVD Providence to KBOS Boston...

KPVD is another payware addon scenery by Flight Zone...They make excellent highly detailed airport scenery..

At KPVD the TGS did not activate...all I got from ground was "taxi to runway 23".. Flight was excellent..landed at KBOS.. My KBOS is also a payware highly detailed airport by BluePrint Simulations..

After landing I recieved taxi instructions to a gate...The TGS activated and worked just fine...

Conclusion: My Flight Zone airports don't appear to work with "MakeRunways" and/or TGS... ???

I suspect there are other addon airports out there that will not work either...

Just reporting...

Ray Lunning
PFE and FDC beta tester

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 40 posts ]
Return to “PFE Support” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: