OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

PFE Database

Post Reply   Page 1 of 4  [ 40 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
Bernie
Post subject: PFE Database
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:21 pm

In addition to a number of issues with PFE which I've sent to Dave in the last few weeks or so, I now seem to have joined the ranks of those having the "rebuild database" problem. I can no longer use PFE because the program instructs me to rebuild the database. Obviously I've done that. In addition I've noted the similar thread below and have tried all of the suggested solutions. Nothing works - I still cannot get past the rebuild box, the appearance of which has now become increasingly annoying.

For most people a reinstallation could be a solution, but when you are as disorganised as I am, it is usually a nightmare as I am never able to locate original downloads and have completely forgotten all of the 'extras' I have such as voices etc.

Is there anything else I can try before I venture into the whacky world of reinstallation.

Bernie

Profile Quote
Andydigital
Post subject: Re: PFE Database
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:42 pm

Hi Bernie, if you are using Vista make sure you run PFE with administration rights by right clicking on the short cut to PFE and selecting 'run as administrator'. The same advice holds true when installing programs in the first place.

Cheers,
Andy.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:11 pm
Site Admin

Hi Bernie

Please check your main FS folder (where you installed MakeRwys) and check for the following files

T5.csv
Runways.txt
R5.csv
F5.csv
G5.csv
Runways.csv

Do they all exist and are they all the same date and time (plus/minus a minute or two)?

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Bernie
Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:18 pm

Hello Dave

I had a look at the date stamps of the files and there was a disparity. I decided to start again with Makerwys. I deleted it and the associated files and downloaded the latest version from Pete's site - vers 4.34. I ran the exe and then PFE's d/base update. This operation took the best part of an hour to complete - I've never had this before and wonder if it's a sign of something not quite right.

The good news is that I was able to connect PFE to FS - all seemed OK. The bad news is that PFE simply did not work. Firstly I used an old adv. which has always been fine in the past. I was able to get wx and the allocated runway. However, when I tried to get clearance I got the message that this was not available until a runway had been allocated. Tried this a couple of times with the same result.

I then deleted this adv. and compiled a new one for the same route. PFE connected OK and I got the wx and runway allocation as always. This time, when I tried to get clearance, PFE simply disconnected and closed.

According to the log, there was an ERROR 13 in GeneralHandlingRoutine at loc C94. A little earlier in the log was an entry which read Error 9 subscript out of range in FindNearestGate. It also could not choose between two runways and decided to use rwy 0, a little later it did select the correct rwy according to AI use.

I'm now wondering if this seems to indicate that something did in fact go wrong in the Makerwys/Database u/d process. Could it be that the latest vers of Makerwys is causing a problem?

Bernie

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:38 pm
Site Admin

Something sure doesn't sound right. I've just downloaded MakeRwys 4.34. It took 3 minutes to run and then I ran the PFE DB rebuild which took only 20 seconds!!

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Andydigital
Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:07 pm

If you have many photo scenery products installed in FSX (you don't mention which sim this relates to) then makerwys can take a long time to run. For some reason it seems to take a very long time checking the photoscenery bgls. I only have VFR GenX England and Wales by Horizon Simulations and Switzerland Pro installed in FSX but it takes a very long time (25 minutes) to scan these two area's even though I have a fast overclocked quad core PC. One way I have found to speed it up is to untick those scenery areas in the FSX scenery manager before running makerwys as it will only scan active scenery folders.

Cheers,
Andy.

Profile Quote
Bernie
Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:51 pm

Andy and Dave

Many thanks for the replies. Sorry for lack of background info. I'm running FSX and my OS is XP Home. I too have a very fast o/clocked quad core machine which is why I was surprised when the scans took so long. Have to say, as a consequence I half expected some sort of error. Can I assume that the error codes I mentioned in my earlier post do point to some sort of foul up in the update process - ie PFE does not have correct data relating to runways?

From what you've said, I would take it that there may be a problem generated when Makerwys scans one or more add-on sceneries. If this is the case, presumably I would have to disable all and check the update process. If this works, then add back sceneries until one stalls. Actually I suppose the more sensible option is to delete the most recent additions, given that I have not had this problem before. Presumably I would not then be able to use PFE with t' offending add on.

I'll give this a go tomorrow. I suppose the next question would be, if this is the issue, does it lie with the latest version of Makerwys, or with the u/d process of PFE. If 'tis the former, I leave it to someone much braver than me to suggest that to Pete.

Bernie

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:37 am
Site Admin

Well one step at a time Bernie... if we can determine where the problem is there's usually more than one way to fix 'em

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Bernie
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:27 am

Hello Dave

A very bleary-eyed good morrow. Been playing around with this 'til t' early hours. Assorted thoughts in no particular order some of which could've been a product of carrying out the scan/update process multiple times and then some.

When running M/rwys it occasionally produced the Runways.txt file vers 3.98 and not 4.34. This produced an error in the u/d process.

Two or three times when I disabled sceneries M/rwys failed to produce f5 and t5 files again producing error in u/d.

Once M/rwys failed to produce the Runways.XML file.

It eventually became clear that after running M/rwys it is a good idea to check that the file production is correct before attempting the PFE u/d process :lol:.

What I did discover is that M/rwys certainly does not like Scotflight's V.2 Scotland scenery. This caused a substantial stall in the scan process when enabled. Even when disabled, an attempt was made to scan the coast files of this particular scenery.

There was also a problem with Aerosoft's London City airport scenery. With this enabled the scan and u/d process worked fine but when I came to test a flight from this airport in FS, PFE closed down and I got the error messages I mentioned previously.

Finally I removed both of these add ons. The scan and u/d process worked and I was able to use PFE on a test flight from the default City airport. Whilst this is mildly pleasing, it does seem to mean that I cannot use PFE with the City add on and as this is my home airport it kind of defeats the object.

This little exercise also prompted a memory that one of the issues I emailed to you a while ago was at an airport in Austria. This happened after I installed Austria Pro scenery and leads me to wonder if this problem has its roots in the u/d process too.

Is there any way to manually alter the M/rwys files to avaoid these issues?

Sorry I seem to be blabbering now - I'll go back to bed :lol:.

Bernie

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:35 am
Site Admin

Hi Bernie,

Many thanks for the update.
Quote:
When running M/rwys it occasionally produced the Runways.txt file vers 3.98 and not 4.34. This produced an error in the u/d process.

Two or three times when I disabled sceneries M/rwys failed to produce f5 and t5 files again producing error in u/d.

Once M/rwys failed to produce the Runways.XML file.

It eventually became clear that after running M/rwys it is a good idea to check that the file production is correct before attempting the PFE u/d process :lol:.
I will change PFE to ensure we check that all required files are there before allowing you continue... that's easy done.
Quote:
Is there any way to manually alter the M/rwys files to avaoid these issues?
Okay, what I would like now is for you to reactivate all your scenery and run MakeRwys again... please ensure each of the following files have been created during the same process, ZIP them up and email them to me. If you have problems with attachment sizes (although they do compress very well) then by all means split them into more than one email. If you really can't email them you can always use one of the free online 'file sending' facilities available. I sometimes use www.yousendit.com, but there are quite a few. On yes, one more thing. Perhaps you could just recreate the problem once more (before sending the files) just to ensure we do still have an issue and then send me the original flight plan, the converted flight plan, plus the ADV file

T5.csv
Runways.txt
R5.csv
F5.csv
G5.csv
Runways.csv
Runways.xml

It's important I have them all.... then at least I can see what we're working with. If it's something amiss in PFE I can fix it... if it's something amiss in MakeRwys I may be able to work around it. If all else fails or if I feel it necessary I can report it and forward the evidence onto Pete. Unfortunately though Pete is away until 30th June.

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 4  [ 40 posts ]
Return to “PFE Support” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: