OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Suggestions

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
Axel H
Post subject: Suggestions
Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:29 am

Hi Dave,

I have a few suggestions for further updates of PFE, I flew quite often with PFE ATC and now I must say there are few issues I am not satisfied with and maybe it can be changed:

-maybe the virtual pilots could say "ready for departure" when reaching the holding point instead of "ready for take off"

-the interaction with the ai traffic could be faster. There is quite a long delay. Well, it is only significant if you watch the ai traffic.

-the pilots usually read back the most of the ATC commands. e.g. the QNH, really important commands are read back by the pilots. Can you also include "WILCO"?

-furthermore, I noticed, when cleared a SID by the controller, the pilot reads back with default: "fly runway heading climb..." instead of repeating what the controller says.

-without flying a SID, the command is: "fly runway heading or fly XXX" but without respect to the altitude. One phrase could be: "Fly runway heading, when passing altitude 2000ft turn right
heading 175."

-is it possible to include "heavy" behind the callsign for large ai aircraft?

-will there be more additional voicepacks?

I know, this is a long issue list or wish list, but maybe it helps to improve PFE in details.

Thanks and kind regards,

Axel.

Profile Quote
JET 1
Post subject: Re: Suggestions
Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:51 am

Axel H wrote:
-maybe the virtual pilots could say "ready for departure" when reaching the holding point instead of "ready for take off"
Agreed, but since there isn't an existing phrase for that, it would require manual editing of tens and tens of voice packs. See my reply in this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=75

Axel H wrote:
-the pilots usually read back the most of the ATC commands. e.g. the QNH, really important commands are read back by the pilots. Can you also include "WILCO"?
I think PFE is doing fairly well in this area. Some readbacks of heading or QNH are missing, but I've never missed WILCO really as it can be substituted with just the callsign.

Axel H wrote:
-without flying a SID, the command is: "fly runway heading or fly XXX" but without respect to the altitude. One phrase could be: "Fly runway heading, when passing altitude 2000ft turn right
heading 175."
Are you saying there is a problem now? A turning restriction would be a new feature.
Axel H wrote:
-is it possible to include "heavy" behind the callsign for large ai aircraft?
Agreed, but don't know how it could be done.. PFE would need to look at the AI aircraft type and have a list of types that call themselves "heavy". Even with that there are differences between US and the ROW. In US the "heavy" is attached to the callsign every time, while elsewhere you only need to use it once in your opening call to a new ATC facility.
Axel H wrote:
-will there be more additional voicepacks?

Would you volunteer to create one? ;) Out of experience I can say it takes more than a day of recording and editing, even if you know what you're doing.

Profile Quote
Ray Lunning
Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:26 pm

For most of my flying days it was "ready for take-off" (VFR), however if it was an IFR departure it was "Brackett tower, N7AL ready for IFR"...Tower would say "hold for release" or "cleared for takeoff or IFR departure"... Controllers do vary their phrases..
---------
Pilot readbacks are always short..however they should always include clearances along with heading and altitude changes..
"Cleared for ILS etc" the pilot would reply "Cleared for ILS...7AL"
"Climb and maintain 7000" or "turn right 270" The reply should always include the new altitude and/or heading...
An advisory such as "altimeter 29.92" or "wind 270 an 10" ...the simple reply of "7AL" is acceptible....

Ray Lunning
PFE and FDC beta tester

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:31 pm
Site Admin

Thanks for the suggestions Aexl... always welcome and always end up on my list.

I think Jet1 has done a better job of answering you than I would have done ;-)

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
JET 1
Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:24 pm

Ray Lunning wrote:
For most of my flying days it was "ready for take-off" (VFR), however if it was an IFR departure it was "Brackett tower, N7AL ready for IFR"...Tower would say "hold for release" or "cleared for takeoff or IFR departure"... Controllers do vary their phrases..
---------
Pilot readbacks are always short..however they should always include clearances along with heading and altitude changes..
"Cleared for ILS etc" the pilot would reply "Cleared for ILS...7AL"
"Climb and maintain 7000" or "turn right 270" The reply should always include the new altitude and/or heading...
An advisory such as "altimeter 29.92" or "wind 270 an 10" ...the simple reply of "7AL" is acceptible....
Hi Ray

As you are probably aware as an old IFR gentleman, there are quite a few differences phraseology-wise between US and the rest of the world (i can only speak on behalf of europe though) ;) It is hard to include both into the same program..

Nowadays the RTF guide recommends that use of the words "take off" would be restricted only to clearances referring to immediate takeoff or the state of being ready for takeoff, fully lined up. This is the way it is taught in ATPL IFR comms lessons. Unless you are lined up and ready to go, you say "ready for departure". Makes sense, doesn't it? :?

Also for us, altimeter setting is on the list of items to be always read back.

-kyle

Profile Quote
Axel H
Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:35 pm

Hi,

thanks for your comments,

ok, about the phrases, this is what I have learned for my VFR license and what I hear from European ATC Areas when listening to liveatc.net

I would like to record my voice, but need to know how and what program is needed. Maybe I return with this question later on when I got my vacation.

Regards,

Axel.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
Return to “PFE Support”
Jump to: