OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

PMDG Aircraft problem

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
martinlest
Post subject: PMDG Aircraft problem
Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:07 pm

I have had these problems more than once with PMDG MD11/747 (not noticed it with other a/c) - any ideas how to prevent them?

1. At engine startup I get the callout 'Start Engine 1" and then 'One stable' as usual ... but the two phrases go into a kind of loop and are repeated several times. Then the same thing happens with Engine 2, 3 (and 4).

2. When I come in to land I also get a loop with the phrase 'Arm Spoilers' continuously repeated (without a breath in between!) until I disconnect FDC - no other way to stop it.

Any ideas what is causing this please, and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Martin

Profile Quote
martinlest
Post subject: Re: PMDG Aircraft problem
Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:43 pm

... meant to say, re. 2, spoilers are already armed - unarming and re-arming doesn't stop the repeated callout

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:07 am

martinlest wrote:
1. At engine startup I get the callout 'Start Engine 1" and then 'One stable' as usual ... but the two phrases go into a kind of loop and are repeated several times. Then the same thing happens with Engine 2, 3 (and 4).
I don't have this aircraft but have one or two that do the same - I think it occurs when an aircraft has a very long spool-up setting in the aircraft.cfg. There is a setting that allows adjustment:
Flightdeck Calls > Delay 'Engine Stable' calls by this number of seconds
but whilst it will reduce the number of repetitions I don't think it is completely effective for aircraft with really long engine startups. I set mine for 12 seconds (the timing of my slowest-to-start aircraft) but I suspect such an extreme figure is out of range of its abilities. However, it does reduce the calls to just twice for me.

John

My co-pilot is called Sid and he's a real Star!

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:25 am

Thanks for the reply - I had actually tried that (set to 10") but it seemed to make matters worse if anything. I'll give it another try just in case..

M.

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:34 pm

This time, after adding the 12" delay again, things were better - I only got the engine start callout repeated once. It seemed that if you start up the next engine a little before the last 'engine stable' call, there are no repeats (have to experiment with that a bit more to be sure).

Still get 'Arm Spoilers' repeated ad nauseam on approach though - they ARE armed, as I said (and disarming/rearming still makes no difference). If I can't solve that I will have to replace the wav file with a silent blank..

M.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:31 pm
Site Admin

Fdc obviously can't detect the spoilers on that aircraft

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:50 pm

OK Dave, will turn off that callout in the relevant PMDG performance files (much more sensible option than replacing the .wav file!). Thanks.

M.

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:24 pm

martinlest wrote:
Still get 'Arm Spoilers' repeated ad nauseam on approach though - they ARE armed, as I said (and disarming/rearming still makes no difference). If I can't solve that I will have to replace the wav file with a silent blank..
Not sure if this idea will help, Martin, because I don't ever fly aeroplanes with spoilers (!) but I do have one that has spoilers automatedly built into the flying characteristics to give it drag and that used to cause FDC to call spoilers at intervals.

I got round this in the FDC Performance editor by setting "No Spoiler/Speedbrake calls" and its never uttered a squeak on that front since.

Might that help you?

John

My co-pilot is called Sid and he's a real Star!

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:25 pm

Hi John, Thanks, but I think there's a better way - now I've had FDC installed for several weeks I am beginning to find my way around it and often edit the files directly with Notepad rather than search the GUI interface (I only do this when I am 100% certain I know what I am editing!! - and I have a backup of the FDC folder too, just in case). Since I now have dozens of aircraft profiles and load those before a flight, to stop the Spoilers callout for any individual aircraft, I open the .pro file (in notepad - or 'EditPad Lite', in fact - SO much more useful than notepad) just change the entry "ArmON=1" to "ArmON=0". And that's it... Other a/c still have the spoilers callout.

(The .pro files are just a copy of the FDC.ini file, BTW - changed for individual aircraft. Quite a nifty little programme this!).

M.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
Return to “FDC Support”
Jump to: