OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Destination gate or parking

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 3 of 5  [ 41 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Destination gate or parking
Posted: Fri May 10, 2024 10:13 am
Site Admin

I've just found the culprit John, it was a rookie error and I will be dealing with him (me :oops: ) later :roll:

If you wait 5 minutes there will be a new beta to try

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:31 am

Thanks, Dave, downloading now . . .

John

My co-pilot is called Sid and he's a real Star!
[ img ]

Profile Quote
pointy56
Posted: Fri May 10, 2024 3:56 pm

johnhinson wrote: *  Thu May 09, 2024 2:36 pm
1 TERMINATING AT A GATE
  1. Taxi guidance now working except still no advice on arrival at gate (I'm sure one used to get "right to gate" or similar rather than the guidance instructions just running out).
I wanted to take a look at the taxi routing you were given, but I suspect that you have add-on scenery for EDDL which made things a bit tricky.
However, I managed to extract the data that I needed from the log you provided and confirmed the route you were given.
You can see from the gate layout attached that the link from the main taxiway to each of the gates has a hairpin just before the gate; it is most unlikely that PF3 would detect arrival at the gate in this situation.

Martin

Attachments
[ attachment ]
2024-05-10 15_55_09-CompatWindow.png (7.11 KiB) Viewed 164 times

[ img ]

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Fri May 10, 2024 9:46 pm

Ah, thanks Martin,

That's "drive-through" parking for AI traffic (AI will leave without a push-back), used a lot in classic-era sceneries but it can be classed as a bodge and I certainly wouldn't ask for mods to PF3 if that's the culprit. But not everywhere I have been lately is like that - I'm sure I have been to normal "push-back" gates and still not got the advice of reaching them that I used to. I will watch things carefully at a more conventional airport, I will try and find somewhere small and basic without distractions.

Best regards,

John

[ img ]

Profile Quote
pointy56
Posted: Sat May 11, 2024 2:39 pm

That's interesting, and makes perfect sense.
Please do come back if you find that you're not getting the final gate message elsewhere and I'll happily take a look (I'll need the log ;))

Martin

[ img ]

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Sun May 12, 2024 9:39 am

pointy56 wrote: *  Sat May 11, 2024 2:39 pm
Please do come back if you find that you're not getting the final gate message elsewhere and I'll happily take a look (I'll need the log ;))
I am afraid that is still the case, I went to a straightforward airport today but the same still occurs. Log (plus the AF2 file for airport) attached.

This image shows my route in to gate 3:
[ attachment ]
LTFE.jpg (17.24 KiB) Viewed 127 times
  • At location A my FO told me to "turn right on taxiway" when I would have expected to hear "right to gate".
  • At point B he called "steady" and at that point the TGS system correctly closed down because I had arrived at the gate.
Hoping this helps,

John

Attachments
debug_monitor-LTFE.zip
(806.35 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

[ img ]

Profile Quote
pointy56
Posted: Sun May 12, 2024 10:20 am

Thanks John, I'll take a look at this later.

Martin

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Thu May 16, 2024 11:14 am
Site Admin

John,

Please try changing the TGS 'Distance for final prompt to gate' (options #1) to 50 metres. I think that should help with the issue of you not getting a 'right/left to gate'

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Thu May 16, 2024 11:29 am

Dave March wrote: *  Thu May 16, 2024 11:14 am
Please try changing the TGS 'Distance for final prompt to gate' (options #1) to 50 metres. I think that should help with the issue of you not getting a 'right/left to gate'
Good idea, mine was set at 100. I will try that and report back.

John

[ img ]

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Fri May 17, 2024 11:14 am

Hi Dave,

I am glad I undertook two tests before coming back to you:
  1. At a small airport (GBYD), the last instruction I got was "steady" - at the last node before the gate.
  2. But at a large airport EGKK), I was almost stunned to hear the words "left to gate"! WHOO HOO! Thanks for the pointer on that.
Interestingly, two of the ongoing issues seem to relate to small airports - by small I mean ones without taxiways parallel to the runway, where you can only turn off opposite the apron, which is usually pretty close. GBYD is a good example of what I mean.

The advice on arrival at the gate is really the most critical to me, I can live with the other issues listed below if necessary. But it puzzles me that at one time all of these worked perfectly and I can't remember when things changed - maybe when version 3 came along. I would be willing to test with version 2 to compare, if you would like me to, although I suspect that would be a bit more complicated than just copying an old pf3.exe across?

This is what remains:
  1. The "Recent ATC Communication Log" is completely blank for the entire flight on about one in four occasions, at other times it works perfectly. I haven't managed to establish any factors that are causing this yet.
  2. As described above, the final advice on arrival at gate does not seem to work at small airports. This is an opinion based on just two flights so far.
  3. The Taxi gauge, and the TGS display, do not give guidance occasionally - both when departing at the start and arriving at destination. The spoken guidance is fine. I am now leaning towards this being where the distance to be taxied is fairly short, e.g. small airports as described above, but also at larger airports where your start point is close to the runway.
  4. The random gate selection, selected in Options #1, continues to dump me in GA parking on about 50% of flights. I can't figure out why. To be honest I have found this so frustrating that I have reverted to choosing a gate (or whatever) in Options #2. The random idea is great, but it is so frustrating to have a perfect relaxing flight only for things to go wrong once back on the ground.
I will continue monitoring things and let you know if I can establish any consistent reasons for any of the above.

I am incredibly grateful for the time you (and Martin) have been putting into this, I don't think I am entitled to ask for a lot more (as a minority user of a rather outdated FS version) but if you could possibly fully fix item ii above I think I would be well happy to put up with the rest, which can't be described as "game-killers".

As I said above, I'm willing to put the time into re-installing an older version to see if my memory that all worked well then is correct. If it is, maybe some code comparison would reveal something?

With best regards,

John

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 5  [ 41 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: