OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

TGS shortcuts (literally)

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 23 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 »
johnhinson
Post subject: TGS shortcuts (literally)
Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:15 am

Morning, Dave,

Has the TGS system been simplified in the last year or so?

Recently I have noticed that the TGS gauge and the words from the First Officer guiding you around airports seem to fix their mind on a point several turns away, giving me a short cut across the fields (well, not quite fields but across airport grass), up dead ends, diagonally across aprons and even through a bunch of lighting poles today. I'm sure it used to be far more specific and reliable.

If this is the case, would it work better for me if I located and reinstalled an older version? Or would that just break things?

Log can be provided if that would help demonstrate, not sure if it includes that kind of data?

John

My co-pilot is called Sid and he's a real Star!

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: TGS shortcuts (literally)
Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:28 am
Site Admin

Hi John, yes please include a debug log when you have any such issues as it will clearly show us what's going on with TGS

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:23 pm

Here we are, along with a printout below showing the route the TGS gauge appeared to be taking me.
[ attachment ]
route.jpg (11.87 KiB) Viewed 2565 times
It seems it ignored a few of the turns and this led me off course somewhat, including up a dead end, and joining the runway a turn too soon, although that did no harm. It seems to be a consistent issue now, but I'm sure this didn't happen is earlier days.

Hope this helps,

John.

Attachments
debug_monitor-240405.zip
(740.34 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:54 pm
Site Admin

Are you using add on scenery for ZGNN?

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:04 am

Dave March wrote: *  Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:54 pm
Are you using add on scenery for ZGNN?
Not scenery as such, just a modified AF2 file - fully checked for errors etc.

John

Profile Quote
pointy56
Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:07 pm

Hi John,

I've checked the taxi routing that you were given and it's absolutely correct for the default FS2004 scenery.
Here's the output from my test system and how it looks when overlaid on the scenery as seen in ADE:
[ attachment ]
2024-04-06 12_03_49-CompatWindow.png (16.79 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
[ attachment ]
2024-04-06 11_26_27-Window.png (68.44 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
Is it possible that your modified AF2 file hasn't been picked up by MakeRwys when rebuilding the PF3 database?
You will notice that the parking looks quite different on your airport layout.

Martin

[ img ]

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:31 pm

Hi Martin,

Thanks for that. I totally agree, that is the route PF3 would have been trying to take me - what I am saying is that it ignored some of the turns when giving me directions. The TGS gauge pointed right before that dead end I was sent down, which it shouldn't. I should have been directed straight on there and right at the taxiway. Likewise my being sent diagonally across the apron and the apparent early left turn near the runway start point.

It just seems to ignore some of the ground "waypoints" which it didn't in the past.

Best regards,

John

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:23 pm
Site Admin

Mmmmh... you're using the gauge aren't you? In which case it's possible some changes we made to the way TGS works and handles turns, etc has upset the gauge. I honestly can't remember what I had to change in the standalone TGS Display utility. When you have time your could perhaps try using that just to see if it works different yo the gauge. The gauge will not be updated unfortunately. I didn't write it and have no experience in coding gauges.

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:32 am

Good idea! I will try that and report back.

John

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:17 am

Just had a quick moment to do a more thorough test this morning before dashing out.

I have tried the stand-alone taxi gauge but I expect I need to RTFM as it tells me FS/TGS Not Active when they should be.

But I have looked closer at the tgs.gau readings, and those of tgs2.gau which seems to replicate the style of the stand-alone, and they are trying to show me the correct route - if I paid more attention to the "distance to turn" indications I probably wouldn't be led astray! But the fact remains that my FO is telling me to turn when I most definitely should not - see blue text and arrows.

I have modified the airport layout image I uploaded earlier to show (with a red "X") the locations that I believe the taxi system is not recognising, and the points where I am getting misleading verbal instructions. I'm still being guided by the gauges diagonally across the apron where other aircraft may be parked.
[ attachment ]
route.jpg (19.84 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
So from what you say, Dave, I think it is the guidance system itself, and not the gauges or verbal instructions, that is causing this by ignoring various "via" points. It is not unique to this airport, but I attach a copy of the AF2 file in case you or anybody wants to replicate the situation. (With no weather set you should be sent to the same runway).

If I pay more attention to the distance to turn indications on the gauges, I might make a better job of my trip to the runway, but if there is a way to fix it so that all the intermediate points are used (like I think things once were, a long time back) it would make things so much better.

Best regards,

John

PS - I can see there is a setting in PF3 to reduce the distance when advice is given before the next turn. Currently set at 150, I will reduce this to 75 or even 50 which should improve things.

Attachments
AF2_ZGNN Wuxu.zip
(2.9 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 23 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Jump to: