OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

TGS shortcuts (literally)

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 23 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Dave March
Post subject: Re: TGS shortcuts (literally)
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:14 am
Site Admin

Thanks for the diagram, very helpful. The prompts you are getting are correct but it's the distance from the turn that appears to be early... then again, your VCP is saying 'right at next taxiway' he/she is not saying 'turn right NOW!" ;-) I think if you reduce the distance from the default 150 mtrs you will find things improve... I have mine set to 100 and 20 for the final prompt (when you should be going much slower)

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
pointy56
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:54 am

johnhinson wrote: *  Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:31 pm
It just seems to ignore some of the ground "waypoints" which it didn't in the past.
There was a change to the taxi routing code a while ago to reduce the number of points passed back to TGS.
The taxiway definitions in MSFS 2020 are so granular that we were seeing very long lists of waypoints where many are actually on the same taxiway.
We're only really interested in significant turns and moves from one taxiway to another, so long runs of 'do nothing' waypoints are now removed.

That isn't what's happening here, the waypoints I'm showing on the diagram are the only ones in the airport data (FS2004 data is quite simple).
However, I want to check the details that were passed back to TGS as it is possible that something needs tweaking.

[Update 07/04/2024 pm]
I've looked at the code and have been able to make a simple change that gives TGS better information to handle situations like this one.
The updated code has been passed to Dave for inclusion in a future beta release, at present I don't know when that will be available.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention,
Martin

[ img ]

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:56 pm

That sounds fantastic, Martin. If that works out, along with Dave's suggestions above, I think that will be an excellent improvement.

Best regards,

John

My co-pilot is called Sid and he's a real Star!

Profile Quote
pointy56
Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:46 am

Hi John,

Dave has just made Beta 3.22.8 available in the forum - it includes this fix.

Cheers,
Martin

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:52 pm

Thanks, Martin!

Can't wait to try it.

John

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:47 am

Experience so far is that this is a vast improvement, Martin - thank you again.

It works at that example of ZGNN perfectly, however at a similar airport but with only one final link to the taxiway I found that soon after joining the parallel taxiway I was instructed "bear left" with the pointer directing diagonally towards the hold short point, i.e. ignoring the final turn left towards the runway.

I am experiencing strange behaviour after landing, but need to test further to establish what is going on and whether it is relevant here or simple "user error". :)

Very best regards,

John

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:03 am
Site Admin

Hi John

Without seeing your debug file, or a diagram, it's difficult to comment but if you were instructed to bear left and the pointer is pointing toward the holding point (I hope you get the point! ;-) ) then it's correct, isn't it. It doesn't mean you follow the pointer exactly and cut the corner. Or am I missing the point ? :lol:

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:23 pm

Once again I am probably not explaining myself well enough.

The airport is an add-on, backdating LTBA to the 1960s and simplifying it drastically! That's why I was trying to avoid getting into too much detail.
[ attachment ]
LTBA.jpg (17.51 KiB) Viewed 724 times
This image shows the arrangement, I was travelling from the gate at A to the runway at B. Almost immediately after passing the first taxiway (almost opposite my gate) I was told "bear left" (far too soon!), with the pointer pointing diagonally left away from the taxiway towards (I suspect) the hold short point. The turn at X was not recognised.

But now I look at the layout closely I see the turn at X is made a gradual curve rather than a right-angle, maybe that isn't sharp enough to be recognised as a turn (Martin may be able to confirm) so I think I should not pursue this one further as I accept that the taxi system can't possibly cope with every permutation.

I will watch future flights and see how things go.

John

Profile Quote
pointy56
Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:55 pm

Hi John,

I'm happy to take a look at this with a view to possibly tweaking the code, but I need to know the actual route rather than A to B ;)
I don't need the whole log, the start gate and runway will suffice - I can't recognise these from the diagram.

Thanks,
Martin

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:04 pm

Hi Martin,

It is very kind of you to spend further time on this. I would be very surprised if you have (or know where to find) this scenery, so I have attached the AF2 file (AFX file, actually, but that should make no difference) so that you can study the detail.

Route was from Gate 12 to Runway 06.

Best regards,

John

Attachments
AFX_LTBA.zip
(6.41 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 23 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Jump to: