OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Joystick button not working for hotkey

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
SkyCamel
Post subject: Joystick button not working for hotkey
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:47 am

This is concerning the DEMO version running on the same PC as FS (I stopped testing the networked PF3 as I'm waiting for an answer why I don't get the Freq Window at startup)
So I programmed one of my joystick buttons with the roger/readback Hotkey using FSUIPC7.
But PF3 doesn't react on the button press. I checked the FSUIPC7 log and there I can see that it send the keystroke "ctrl+shft+\" to FS.
Somehow PF3 doesn't see this keypress. When using the same keypress directly on the FS keyboard then PF3 will react to it.
Just to test, I programmed the button with a keypress used in FS itself and FS does react on it, so it's not a FSUIPC issue.
Anyone has an idea how to fix this (which is mandatory for me to use PF3 as the keyboard is not easily reachable, so not convenient)
Cheers,
Luc

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Joystick button not working for hotkey
Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:01 pm
Site Admin

Please include a log file where you are trying this so I can see what's happening

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
SkyCamel
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:27 pm

As I got so frustrated and stressed with many things not working in PF3 I decided to give it a rest for a few weeks (and being on holiday) until a week ago.
Although I was able to fix the Hotkey issue (fixed by using FSUIPC7 v7.1.20a) I still have a lot of issues.
I gathered all my courage together and decided to give it another go. Why? Because I'm really eager do buy PF3 and get an better immersion into FS.
Unfortunately, so far, every flight new issues appear, the latest one today where ATC instructed me to contact Departure on 280.8.
Say what? Yep, 280.8 so after repeating that for 3 times and obviously not been able to select that frequency no more ATC, just got stuck with no way out.
Also the hotkeys (using keyboard) sometimes work, sometimes not or sometimes minutes later after I actually wanted it.
And the list could go on. Granted, mostly little but annoying things. Also windows hiding behind other windows (multiple screens) like the window with log of last 10 ATC communications, why can't we get a setting "always" on top? No way to get ATIS on departure or recall airport Frequency's window?
Is there anyone who can get me out of this misery? Is the "regular" version different/better than the Demo version?
And yes, I really still want to purchase PF3, very much so, but I fear I'm going to buy myself a lot of frustration.
Cheers,
Luc

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:28 pm
Site Admin

Sorry about your frustration, but I'm afraid I can't help you at all without seeing the log file. Please see the RED message at the top of this forum for details.

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
SkyCamel
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:01 am

Attached the log file.
Issues occurred during this flight;
- Atis departure airport not working (EDDS)(option Atis provided by PF3, also for airports without is set to "true")
- Recall airport frequencies (with hotkey) working with 3-4 trials and minutes later show up (They show up when starting PF3)
- Hardly any communication with AI traffic even when plenty there
- Window log last 10 ATC communication doesn't come up on top so always have to look for it behind other open windows which is spoiling immersion
didn't find any option "always on top"
- Contact Departure on 280.8
That's when I gave up and ended the flight.
In all honesty I have to say whenever it works it's really great, unfortunately all these issues makes it difficult to appreciate.
Cheers,
Luc

Attachments
debug_monitor.zip
(292.6 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

Profile Quote
SkyCamel
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:40 pm

Here you have another one of my flight today;
- Although FP was cleared for FL60 ATC kept me on FL40, just above the ground
- Hotkey H+1-9 to request Higher didn't work so to avoid flying into the trees I adjusted my height
and of course got nagged by ATC to keep FL40
- Made me land with 14-17Kts tailwind (actually, 8 out of 10 flight I have AI traffic taking of in opposite direction)
Log attached.
Cheers,
Luc

Attachments
debug_monitor2.zip
(1.18 MiB) Downloaded 66 times

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:32 am
Site Admin

Quote:
- Atis departure airport not working (EDDS)(option Atis provided by PF3, also for airports without is set to "true")
The default EDDS ATIS in FS20 is 126.12 and you never tuned to that according to the log
EDDS,126.12,48.68975,9.221304,"Stuttgart Airport"
Quote:
- Recall airport frequencies (with hotkey) working with 3-4 trials and minutes later show up (They show up when starting PF3)
According to the log this hotkey was only used once and since you say you tried several times I can only assume the key wasn't detected or FS perhaps did not have the focus at the time you tried.
Quote:
- Hardly any communication with AI traffic even when plenty there
You will only hear AI traffic if tuned to the same frequency as you are. I see you did hear a couple at your departure airport but none enroute.
Quote:
- Window log last 10 ATC communication doesn't come up on top so always have to look for it behind other open windows which is spoiling immersion
didn't find any option "always on top"
I'll look into perhaps adding a 'always on top' but that could prove troublesome when you want to access the main menu. I normally just keep it clear of other windows
Quote:
- Contact Departure on 280.8
Looks like there's a problem with the FS20 data as the default data is showing
EDDS,8,280.80,"STUTTGART DIRECTOR"
Always a first time for any problem to rear it's ugly head... all I can do is check for valid frequencies and adjust accordingly

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:01 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
- Although FP was cleared for FL60 ATC kept me on FL40, just above the ground
Well that's another one you've discovered that hasn't raised is ugly head before... I think you ought to be on the beta team! ;)

Looks like it's a problem when cruising below the control center altitude... I've fixed it now but that won't help you I'm afraid as you're running the demo
Quote:
- Hotkey H+1-9 to request Higher didn't work
This can be a tricky one to get used to. You have to hold down the 'H' key and then quickly press and release the numeric key before releasing the 'H' key.
Quote:
- Made me land with 14-17Kts tailwind (actually, 8 out of 10 flight I have AI traffic taking of in opposite direction)
PF3 always checks to see which runway AI are using for takeoff/landing and will use the same one. If no AI traffic is detected then we use wind direction. In this log AI traffic was detected.
23/04/2023 16:08:02: 700 - #1 Initial sweep shows AI using runway 32-2
23/04/2023 16:08:02: 700 - Runway 32 2 is being used by AI Traffic! #B
23/04/2023 16:08:02: 700 - Active Runway is set to 32 - Right

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:05 pm

dmarch wrote: *  Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:32 am
I'll look into perhaps adding a 'always on top' but that could prove troublesome when you want to access the main menu. I normally just keep it clear of other windows
Maybe you don't need to - there are many free utilities available that should do this, including one with Microsoft Power Toys that will enable it with a key combination. Search "Always on Top utility" for a list of many . . .

John

My co-pilot is called Sid and he's a real Star!

Profile Quote
SkyCamel
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:08 pm

Thank you for your clarifying remarks.
The default EDDS ATIS in FS20 is 126.12 and you never tuned to that according to the log
That is correct. I always use COM2 whenever I want to listen to Atis. I guess while using PF3 as the Atis "provider" I should use COM1
which did work in the second flight in this thread (debug-monitor2)
The way I use it is that whenever I want to review previous ATC communications I use the Hotkey to pull up the log window. After reading I close it to pull it up later again if needed. So every time I have to go and find the log window. I'm using a tripple screen as Main window (configured in MSFS) an a second (4th) monitor where I have the MSFS PFD and MFD displayed. I put the log window on the right screen of my triple monitor so it doesn,'t hide anything (except my view). But I don't need it all the time so I will close it. So basically what I would like if when I open it it will be automatically on top.
Always a first time for any problem to rear it's ugly head... all I can do is check for valid frequencies and adjust accordingly
Understandable, but it would be nice to have some "way out" in these cases so you continue the flight with reconnecting ATC whenever possible.
dmarch wrote: *  Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:01 pm
I've fixed it now but that won't help you I'm afraid as you're running the demo
That's ok as I plan to buy PF3 anyway :-)
PF3 always checks to see which runway AI are using for takeoff/landing and will use the same one. If no AI traffic is detected then we use wind direction. In this log AI traffic was detected.
Strange as in MSFS but also in PF3 and Littlenavmap I'm using real weather option.
In LittleNavMap I'm using the metar server (so not injected from MSFS but from NOA.. something, forgot) and both MSFS and LittleNavMap display the same wind direction. Also Atis reported 18L as the active runway and so whas my FP. And yet I was send to 32R with tailwind.
Also I noticed that most of the time AI traffic is coming towards me, maybe there's some issue with AI reporting wrong direction?
You have to hold down the 'H' key and then quickly press and release the numeric key before releasing the 'H' key
I'm holding the H key but I guess what you're saying that even when holding, the dalay between pressing H key and the numeric key should be very short.
I always got the Atis (Hotkey 2) instead. I will give it another try.
Cheers,
Luc

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: