OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Report Entering the Pattern?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
Mike T
Post subject: Report Entering the Pattern?
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:08 pm

Hi again!

You would very rarely hear a Part 121 carrier (all commercial flights) make this call, since they are all flying IFR. Under IFR you don't report "entering the pattern" since approach and tower has you under positive control and already knows where you are in the pattern, because they put you there. Of course, you would report entering the pattern if you are VFR, but only if the tower asks you to report entering the pattern. And even then you wouldn't just report "entering the pattern" you'd report at what point you are entering the pattern (right/left downwind, crosswind, straight in, short final...) And finally, you always hear this call is on UNICOM at airports with no tower (or tower closed), but then it followed by much more detail:

i.e. "Schaumburg Traffic - N246PT, type Cessna 172, entering the pattern, right downwind, runway 11 - Schaumburg Traffic

Of course, there are plenty of Part 121 flights where there's a visual approach - KLGA River VIsual RWY 13. But even so you would be cleared by New York approach into the River Visual RWY 13. When cleared to contact LGA tower you give them your position on the approach, and they'll either clear you to final, and then to land or give you other instructions.

So, just my long winded explanation on why "report entering the pattern" is best removed unless you can limit it so that it's only reported at Class D airports and below.

Regards,

Mike T.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Report Entering the Pattern?
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:21 pm
Site Admin

Are you talking about uncontrolled airports?

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
Return to “PFE Support”
Jump to: