OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

MSFS 2020 & X-Plane

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
slaintemaith
Post subject: MSFS 2020 & X-Plane
Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:28 pm

PF3 works fine for me in MSFS 2020. I bought the PFEtoXPlane plugin in the hopes to duplicate the functionality of the one into the other.
The question becomes, "How to bounce between the sims seamlessly while using the same single install of PF3?"
Is this doable?
I get database grumblings when I try to use X-Plane on MSFS2020's database--and rightfully so, since I think X-Plane's AIRAC data is antiquated, and in fact at least one of the frequencies didn't 'line up' with what the 'helper' program in PFEtoXPL thought was a correct frequency.

It's also entirely possible I don't have a handle on how any of this works at all.

I'm worried that I'll overwrite my MSFS data if I use the techniques described in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnu4KQ3uG7A

Debug_Monitor.log added for funsies.

Attachments
debug_monitor.zip
(43.07 KiB) Downloaded 34 times

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: MSFS 2020 & X-Plane
Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:04 pm
Site Admin

Easiest method is to simply rebuild your database for the sim you are about to use. Unless you've actually made changes (eg. added and airport, rtc) you don't have to actually run MakeRwys and can skip that part of the rebuild so it's quite quick to do. I have FS9, FSX, P3D and MSFS all using the same single installation of PF3

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
slaintemaith
Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:26 pm

I do get a few "Sorry, we could not find the airport name <x> in your database" warnings after trying this method.
This is X-Plane, after all, using the PFEtoXPL plugin for whatever that's worth.
If one is using the same AIRAC cycle for both X-Plane and MSFS, will it matter which database it's using, since presumably the information would be the same?

New debug included.

Attachments
debug_monitor.zip
(13.82 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

Profile Quote
slaintemaith
Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:01 pm

I guess another question is: Since there's issues with frequencies differing in MSFS and X-Plane, can one use the same activation on the same machine for two instances of the same program?

Profile Quote
slaintemaith
Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:14 pm

Okay, so here's what I'd like, since I've been futzing with this all day and meeting no success.
Let me unpack this:

I'd like to have two separate installs, and therefore databases, of PF3. One for MSFS, and one for X-Plane.

I install once for MSFS and all is well.

I install again for FSX (which is what the X-Plane addon piggybacks on to if you want the latest AIRAC, which I do) but that doesn't update because it whines about how I already have the program installed.
Fine.
I won't update.

But it still doesn't connect to the X-Plane addon.

Maybe I'm going about this all wrong, but I shouldn't have to rebuild anything even if it doesn't take much time just to shift between sims.

I will be drinking heavily soon, so any support will most likely be ignored until I regain consciousness.

Thank you for your time.

Cheers.

Of course, I'm also 1) clueless. 2) talking to support for both programs, and 3) getting annoyingly frustrated because it just doesn't seem like this should be this difficult.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:54 pm
Site Admin

Sorry you're having problems with this. I can only reiterate... I have FS9/FSX/P3D and MSFS installed on my development machine. I only have one installation of PF3. If I'm changing from one sim to another I simply do a PF3 database rebuild, without running MakeRwys. On my very slow dev machine this only takes 15 seconds to complete, so I really don't see what the problem is.

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
slaintemaith
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:37 pm

So "No" to two separate installs on the same machine?
Not sure the license forbids it as such...

Still, I can only reiterate: I have X-Plane and MSFS and FSX and DCS and a pile of other games installed on the same machine. None of those should matter. I shouldn't have to bother with rebuilding the database if I have two separate installs of PF3. It's a step that's worth it to me not to have to bother with in a process already full of steps and program launchings just to pretend to fly a plane.

Profile Quote
slaintemaith
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:54 pm

Really?
It asks if I have PF3 activated on another PC.

I most comprehensively do not. I have PF3 already activated on the same PC.

Now I'm locked out?

Can't recall a time I've felt robbed by a developer. Congrats!
I've deleted your software and will not have it on my PC.
Enjoy your free money.

Attachments
[ attachment ]
Screw This.png (113.72 KiB) Viewed 782 times

Last edited by slaintemaith on Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:04 pm
Site Admin

All you have to do is email me direct and include your activation code so I can unlock it for you.
Quote:
Can't recall a time I've felt robbed by a developer. Congrats!
I've deleted your software and will not have in on my PC.
Enjoy your free money.
I know these things can sometimes be frustrating but I really don't think there's need for that sort of comment

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:39 pm
Site Admin

Why on earth did you tag your post onto this thread? I'm deleting your post so please post a new one in this forum with a subject line of 'MSFS Connection Problem' - also include more relevant log files as the ones here are dated February.

The 'not enough hotkeys' message is the result on another error, after which you restarted PF3, so we need to know what the original message was.

Please note: This was in reply to a post I have since deleted and advised the user to start a new thread

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: