OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

We'll open your flight plan at 5

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
pck42
Post subject: We'll open your flight plan at 5
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:14 pm

Hi.
So basically I can't use PF3 until 5 whenever that is.

Attachments
debug_monitor.zip
(22.76 KiB) Downloaded 42 times

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: We'll open your flight plan at 5
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:37 pm
Site Admin

Not at all... if you request clearance from FSS at say 14:10 you will hear 'we'll open your flight plan 1t 10' (meaning 10 past the current hour)

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
pck42
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:10 pm

Hello David,
I would like to revisit this topic again. While your answer makes sense, (though technically if I file at 14:10 and ATC responds "We will open your flight plan at 1t 10" then the flight plan should be opened immediately, right?. In any case, as the log should indicate the actually message I received was "We will open you flight plan at 5". What does that mean? 5 o'clock? In 5 minutes? If I request it a second time ATC responds with a different and higher single digit number, for example 7. Totally confused octogenerien here.
This happened on my last flght also so I am attaching the log. It happens on my first communication with ATC it should be easy to spot. Thank you.
pck42

Attachments
debug_monitor.zip
(360.25 KiB) Downloaded 39 times

Profile Quote
m_j_lyons
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:59 pm

Let's use a real-life example I've done many times in the past. When you're departing from a smaller airfield that lacks the normal clearance, ground, tower, etc services you will contact the Flight Service Station (FSS) via radio or telephone to get a weather briefing and file your flight plan. They'll pass on the appropriate details for your flight - departure frequency, weather, changes to route of flight, etc...when that is done and everything is sitting good they'll give you a clearance void time...ie - be off before that time or your clearance is void. In PF3 they use the phrase "we'll open your flight plan at 10" - i just treat that as a clearance void time and it gives me about 10 minutes to get off the ground and contact departure/center/whomever.

In flight sim "reality" contacting FSS serves the same purpose but there is not really a clearance void time or anything like that - it's just words. If you take 30 minutes or 3 minutes - it's all the same. PF3 has your flight plan active.

Fly safe.

Flying the friendly skies of MSFS
XBox handle: mikejenlyons
Discord: m_j_lyons
A Pilot's Life 2: Michael Lyons

-- mike

Profile Quote
shill
Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:56 pm

In real life it means number of minutes from full hour when flight plan was "marked" as valid/approved by local ATC.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: