OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Waypoints too Close together

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Flyer49
Post subject: Waypoints too Close together
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:18 am

Hi
I am new to PF3 and thought I would try a simple flight from Manchester EGCC to Glasgow EGPF. I created a Simbrief flight plan then tried to load this FP into PF3. I received a number of error messages about waypoints being too close together and one too close to the airport at Manchester. I went back to both Simbrief and Navigraph and checked the SID for Manchester and as far as I can see the ways points are correct for this SID, so not sure about the messages in PF3. Can anyone explain what either I am doing wrong or what is wrong with this FP. The FP from Simbrief is :- POL1Y POL N601 RIBEL RIBE1G
Many thanks

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Waypoints too Close together
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:16 pm
Site Admin

Firstly, you posted in the wrong forum so I've moved it here

Secondly, the waypoint message you received are NOT error messages, they are NOTAMs, and you can choose to address them or ignore them, whichever you choose.

It's advisable to have you waypoints at least 5 miles apart and your last waypoint would ideally be between 20-30 from the airport. You can remove waypoints within PF3, rather than going back to your flight planner. Once your FP has been loaded just select the 'Adjust altitudes, sids, stars and holds' button from the main menu.

As for includings SIDs/STARs in your flight plan, please read section 20.5 in the PF3 User Guide

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Flyer49
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:07 pm

Hi Dave,
Many thanks for the reply. I understand the messages now and should be able use this FP with PF3.
Many thanks
Andrew

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:27 am

In this case you can include the RIBE1G in your PF3 flight plan, because it can be used for any arrival runway and the last waypoint (LANAK) is about 20 miles out. If you leave the STARs box unchecked at the bottom of the SID/STAR page, PF3 will begin issuing arrival vectors after you cross LANAK. You may want to deactivate LANAK and use VAPPI as your last PF3 waypoint, in which case PF3 will begin vectoring you a bit sooner. As Dave said try to have your last waypoint 20-40 miles out.

The departure from Manchester is more typical for SIDs in Europe. You will probably want to leave the SID out of the PF3 flight plan (or deactivate it) because you aren't sure if you will be departing north or south. POL is your first waypoint, and check the SIDs box at the bottom of the SID/STAR page. You will not get vectors after takeoff and can fly the departure to POL as loaded in your FMC. If the SIDs box is not checked PF3 will vector you to POL after takeoff.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Flyer49
Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:13 pm

Hi Dan
Many thanks for the really helpful reply. I will try your suggestions when I try this flight again. I am away this weekend, so will probably be next week. I will let you know how I get on.
Regards
Andrew

Profile Quote
Flyer49
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:32 pm

Hi Dan
I did the modifications to the flight plan you suggested, however I have another problem. When I sit at the gate in Manchester and click the 0 button to contact Ground I am asked to go to frequency 122.8 PF3 switches to that frequency for a second then changes to 121.7 and I end up just going round in a circle being asked to change to the correct frequency but never getting away from Ground. I am using option 2 for the copilot.
Many thanks
Andrew

Profile Quote
pointy56
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:20 pm

Hi Andrew,

Please can you post the PF3 log file for this latest flight (as highlighted in red at the top of the forum).
Without this we have little to go on, we don't even know which FS and which version of PF3 you are running :(

Thanks,
Martin

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:44 pm
Site Admin

Flyer49 wrote: *  Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:32 pm
Hi Dan
I did the modifications to the flight plan you suggested, however I have another problem. When I sit at the gate in Manchester and click the 0 button to contact Ground I am asked to go to frequency 122.8 PF3 switches to that frequency for a second then changes to 121.7 and I end up just going round in a circle being asked to change to the correct frequency but never getting away from Ground. I am using option 2 for the copilot.
Many thanks
Andrew
My guess is you're using MSFS and have Pilot Assist 'On' which is controlling your radios

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Flyer49
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:23 pm

Hi Dave
Yes, using MSFS and standard A320 which comes with the software. I haven’t tried option 3 which controls all the radios and follows the autopilot only used option 2.
Regards
Andrew

Profile Quote
pointy56
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:49 pm

You need to disable the MSFS 'Flight Assistant' for ATC - that's what's interfering with the radio, not PF3.
Select the 'Flight Assistant' drop-down and ensure the 'AI RADIO COMMUNICATIONS (ATC)' slider is set to the left (see attached picture).

Cheers,
Martin

Attachments
[ attachment ]
2022-04-17 15_41_05-Window.png (388.67 KiB) Viewed 8802 times

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: