OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Go-around at uncontrolled airport and return to Approach?

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
BF Bullpup
Post subject: Go-around at uncontrolled airport and return to Approach?
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:12 am

Greetings. I recently completed an IFR flight in Japan from Nagoya (RJNA) to Hanamaki (RJSI). Nagoya was a controlled airport. Hanamaki was an uncontrolled airport. I messed up my descent (getting to grips with a new plane) and easily overshot Hanamaki. At the same time, the Approach controller spoke super quickly and I missed the message in RemoteText telling me which frequency to turn to once the localizer has been captured. I couldn't get it to say again because it gave me another directive that overwrote what was said previously. I have just changed my settings to Show Log for Say Again and will use that for the next flight.

Anyway, I was able to use the FSX default ATC to find the frequency I was directed to by PF3 Approach. I tuned to it and in the PF3 Display software it showed the usual uncontrolled airport commands, but nothing to say going around that I could find and/or remember now. Usually when I go around at a controlled airport I am sent from Tower back to Approach to give me vectors for another attempt. For the uncontrolled airport I tried to tune back to Approach, but Approach wasn't giving me directions anymore and wouldn't give me vectors for an ILS approach (an error message appeared in RemoteText). I think I was given the squawk 7000 instead of my previous squawk and was then told to change it back. I could see the flight wasn't going to get any better at that point, so I disconnected PF3 and used FSX's ATC to guide me to a safe landing.

Have I overlooked a way to go around and have Approach give me vectors for that go around? My log is attached here. Thank you for looking into this as this software continues to improve every day!

Attachments
RJSI.zip
(986.46 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Go-around at uncontrolled airport and return to Approach?
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:10 pm
Site Admin

Approach terminated their service once you were cleared for the ILS as it was an uncontrolled airport you were flying to. Therefore they told you to squawk the default (VFR) 7000 code. At that point you could have contacted Multicom and announced your intentions. Having to go around at an uncontrolled airport only needs you to again announce your intentions and rejoin the pattern eg. Turing Downwind, Turning Base, Turning Final. You're in uncontrolled airspace and Approach are not in the picture.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
BF Bullpup
Post subject: Re: Go-around at uncontrolled airport and return to Approach?
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:46 pm

OK, so I monitor the Multicom for any other traffic and can re-fly the approach as I see fit. Got it and thank you!

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: