OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Runtime 91 error in PF3

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 3 of 9  [ 90 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »
7X7VirtualPilot
Post subject: Re: Runtime 91 error in PF3
Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:21 pm

Quote:
I loaded a failing FP , the KIADRJAA05.pln and immediately turned around and shut down PF3.
It did not fall over, I shut it down and sent the logs as requested by vololiberista.

On failing flight plans, if I ONLY enter different 'New Alt's, do nothing else but a SAVE, the program does not fall over. If I attempt to Set an END of SID/DP or Set START of STAR or check the box Activate quick-entry mode, PF3 falls over.

There are many days I wished I had stayed on Windows 7 as I relented only a month ago, but the vendors of FSX addons are finally, if reluctantly, embracing Windows 10. You can no longer easily put off upgrades with Microsoft treating Windows now as a "service" rather than an opsys. One day, there was the Creator's Update. Not by my hand. Yes, one can stall it for a period of time but what are you missing, or exposing yourself to by doing so? Since I'm already at the mercy of Microsoft using their Windows Defender as the least likely to interfere with the flight sim software, I kind of have to allow all the updates to happen. And I'm going to. This is our brave new world.

As mentioned, I worked as a software support tech at a major software house for years. One should study law as a prerequisite to embrace the skills of interrogation. A nuanced question can make the difference between success and failure to diagnose the problem. Frustrating, for sure. I know.

This paragraph:
Quote:
On failing flight plans, if I ONLY enter different 'New Alt's, do nothing else but a SAVE, the program does not fall over. If I attempt to Set an END of SID/DP or Set START of STAR or check the box Activate quick-entry mode, PF3 falls over.
may have revealed something?

Cheers and continuing thanks,
George

[ img ]

Capt George - @7x7VirtualPilot

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:24 pm

7X7VirtualPilot wrote: *  Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:21 pm
If I attempt to Set an END of SID/DP or Set START of STAR or check the box Activate quick-entry mode, PF3 falls over.
The problem is that the logs suggests that you successfully amended the SIDs and STARs and that PF3 successfuly saved them. Otherwise this entry would not appear in the log
Quote:
Using Adjusted Waypoint Altitudes...
Original Alt (see FPP) for WP 1 changed to: 3000
Original Alt (see FPP) for WP 33 changed to: 14000
Original Alt (see FPP) for WP 34 changed to: 11000
Original Alt (see FPP) for WP 35 changed to: 8000
Original Alt (see FPP) for WP 36 changed to: 5000
End SID at WP: 5
Start STAR at WP: 33
End STAR at WP: 36
It is possible you may have exposed a very obscure bug. But I have never encountered your problem. I'm thinking that it is more a win10 issue. We need to know the exact point it falls over. Does it do it by itself? Or when you press a key? etc.,
I have to say win10 and flight simming do not go well together. There are just too many issues.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
7X7VirtualPilot
Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:44 pm

To which flight plan are you referring? In all cases of flight plans that fail, if I hit either the Set END of SID/DP button, the Set START of STAR button, or check the Activate quick-entry mode, the Run-time error '91' error box appears at that moment. When I subsequently hit the OK button, PF3 falls over. If I ONLY enter a New Alt and NOTHING ELSE and do a save, all is as expected, i.e. the Waypoint Altitudes Saved box appears. I hit OK on that box and it reverts to the main selection box, as expected.

I feel badly for all having to support Windows 10, but that is now the vendor fully supported environment of Windows. I stayed on Windows 7 for over a year past the introduction of Windows 10 and skipped all of Windows 8 just and only because of FSX issues, but more and more of my applications were no longer or about to be not supported under Windows 7 and even FSX addons are, for the most part, now more or less supported under Windows 10. I do not want to troubleshoot old Windows 7 bugs any longer.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:11 am

7X7VirtualPilot wrote: *  Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:44 pm
To which flight plan are you referring? In all cases of flight plans that fail, if I hit either the Set END of SID/DP button, the Set START of STAR button, or check the Activate quick-entry mode, the Run-time error '91' error box appears at that moment. When I subsequently hit the OK button, PF3 falls over. If I ONLY enter a New Alt and NOTHING ELSE and do a save, all is as expected, i.e. the Waypoint Altitudes Saved box appears. I hit OK on that box and it reverts to the main selection box, as expected.

I feel badly for all having to support Windows 10, but that is now the vendor fully supported environment of Windows. I stayed on Windows 7 for over a year past the introduction of Windows 10 and skipped all of Windows 8 just and only because of FSX issues, but more and more of my applications were no longer or about to be not supported under Windows 7 and even FSX addons are, for the most part, now more or less supported under Windows 10. I do not want to troubleshoot old Windows 7 bugs any longer.
The extract I posted is from a log you posted here in which you said PF3 had fallen over.
Quote:
Quote:
If I attempt to Set an END of SID/DP or Set START of STAR or check the box Activate quick-entry mode, PF3 falls over.

The problem is that the logs suggests that you successfully amended the SIDs and STARs and that PF3 successfuly saved them. Otherwise this entry would not appear in the log
The log shows that what you said didn't work did!
If I were you I would go back to XP. I have no problems at all! :mrgreen:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
7X7VirtualPilot
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:00 am

I posted several. You will have to be specific if this conversation is to proceed. Be careful of dates and times for logs. Are you looking at logs from the exact flight plan that failed or one that I said worked. Because I included all the logs in a folder doesn't mean they were all processed during one flight plan. If the plan failed, i.e. PF3 fell over, is it not possible that no NEW log(s) was/were written, but rather that valid logs to which you refer were written from a prior run? My conclusion at this point is that this is something new and until someone else has the problem, a solution is in the future. Am I asking for something proprietary when I ask what language the program is written in? At least then I can look into compiler/runtime library issues that might have come about with this latest version of Windows.

Cheers,
George

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:54 am

7X7VirtualPilot wrote: *  Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:00 am
Am I asking for something proprietary when I ask what language the program is written in? At least then I can look into compiler/runtime library issues that might have come about with this latest version of Windows.

Cheers,
George
I think Dave would rather that was left to him to look into. We need actuall evidence of PF3 falling over.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:12 am
Site Admin

Quote:
Am I asking for something proprietary when I ask what language the program is written in?
No, not at all. The core of PF3 is written in VB6 but some modules (DLL's) I used VB.NET, but I do not believe it has anything to do with VB or .NT runtimes.

Let's go back to the beginning and takes things step by step (for my sanity)

The original failing FP you uploaded is, I believe, KIADRJAA05? I can load that FP and make as many adjustments as I wish with no problems at all, so as I said before, this is NOT a FP issue but a system specific problem. I'm not saying your system is at fault and it could well be that you've discovered a PF3 bug that only rears its ugly head on a spec such as yours, but again I don't believe so.

Please load your FP KIADRJAA05, then select 'Adjust Altitudes SIDs, STARS'.

Does the FP display correctly without error?

Next select 'Set END of SID / DP'.

Does that cause an error?

Do you see the 'balloon' tool tips that appear at the bottom of each column informing you to double-click in the column to mark the end of your SID?

If there is no error at this point please double click in the marked column to indicate the SID end. Does that cause a problem?

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:45 am

7X7VirtualPilot wrote: *  Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:00 am
I posted several. You will have to be specific if this conversation is to proceed. Be careful of dates and times for logs. Are you looking at logs from the exact flight plan that failed or one that I said worked.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is confused here :)

To solve this confusion, please do the following to have a clear example of the crash:
  1. Find a flight plan that causes the problem.
  2. Exit PF3.
  3. Remove the contents of the PF3/Logs/ folder (or move them to a different location)
  4. Remove the contents of the PF3/Flight/FPP/ folder (or move them to a different location)
  5. Start PF3
  6. Load the flight plan
  7. Do the things you need to do to make it crash, and document them here
  8. Zip the flight plan and the files in PF3/Logs/ and PF3/Flight/FPP/, and attach the zip here

[ img ]

Profile Quote
7X7VirtualPilot
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:57 am

Once again, with feeling. The flight plan is KIADEGLL12.pln. It could just as easily be KIADRJAA05, it will fail the same way.

1. I load up the flight plan, click on the Adjust Altitudes, SIDs, STARs and Holds for Selected Flight Plan

2. On the above screen, I click on the Activate quick-entry mode.

3. The box with the Run-time error '91': Object variable or With block variable not set
message comes up.

4. I click on the OK button on that box and PF3 goes away.

What do I mean by "goes away"? All the PF3 boxes disappear. The program has abended/fallen over/disappeared as in there's no evidence that the program is running (not in the Windows Task Manager). In the words of Monty Python, it is a dead program. Bereft of life. It's 3:30am here and I'm tired. Sorry, I didn't see your response Dave, rather saw the response from Thomas and did as he requested. If what I've just done doesn't work for you, let me know and I'll do another run after a nights sleep. Just know the results are the same for either flight plan KIADEGLL12 or KIADRJAA05 (and others). Also know that if on that Adjust altitudes...etc screen I ONLY adjust altitudes, I can click on save and it works. But if at any time I click on EITHER the Set end of SID/DP or the Set START of STAR or the Activate quick-entry mode buttons. I WILL get a 91 and that is the end.

I have enclosed the entire contents of the Logs folder (there were only 2 files), and the contents of the PF3/Flight/FPP folder.

Oh, and one more thing. If the flight plan takes up more than one page of the Adjust altitudes...etc screen, I can never hit the Next button and go to the subsequent screen. The button gives an indication that it has been pushed (kind of lights up) but nothing happens...it doesn't go to the next screen. This is what led me to question array processing, such that the subscript variables are getting corrupted or a problem with memory management allocating and managing the arrays. Just keeping that thought out there. May be of no value whatsoever.

Stressing my final point. If a flight plan fails in this way, it will always fail. I've never loaded a failing flight plan and suddenly have it work. That is, the Set end of SID/SP or Set START of STAR or Activate quick-entry mode never suddenly starts to work for a flight plan where it has previously not worked. Only certain plans fail consistently, with no rhyme or reason.

Enjoy!

Attachments
FPP.zip
(10.37 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
LOGS.zip
(1.07 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
KIADEGLL12.zip
(1.73 KiB) Downloaded 193 times

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:24 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
On the above screen, I click on the Activate quick-entry mode.
Okay, please check for the following file in you Win Sys folder

10Tec_hTooltip_100.dll

Try registering this file using Regsvr32 (as admin)

If you're not sure how to do this just shout

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 9  [ 90 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »
Jump to: