OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Discretionary vs published holds

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
huppel69
Post subject: Discretionary vs published holds
Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:26 pm

Hi,

While reading the manual it is unclear to me if PF3 supports both publsished and discretionary holds, or is every hold now a published one?
If so, how do I indicate the difference?

Best, Marcel

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Post subject: Re: Discretionary vs published holds
Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:55 pm

huppel69 wrote: *  Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:26 pm
Hi,

While reading the manual it is unclear to me if PF3 supports both publsished and discretionary holds, or is every hold now a published one?
If so, how do I indicate the difference?

Best, Marcel
The terminology PF3 uses indicates that the hold is published. i.e You are not told for example to hold 10 miles from x which would indicate a discretionary hold set-up by ATC on the fly to control traffic. In fact PFE was a bit like that. It had no capability for published holds so that was changed for PF3. It works very well now and if you include the hold twice in your fpl (see below) PF3 will also descend you in the hold. Here you enter the hold at FL120 and leave at 9,500 QNH. Discretionary holds nowadays tend to be something along the lines of "G-BIZR at Charlie Hotel orbit left/right etc". Basically meaning there's so much traffic the controller can't cope!That's why almost all holds are now published and can be at fixes as well. That doesn't mean that holds are mandatory. Some are, so you need to check your charts. PF3 allows you to set the "probability" of holding which makes it very realistic in the sense that you plan for a hold but it might not be required.
[ attachment ]
hold.jpg (21.28 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
Also see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=298UDyNmgUA Where you can see the hold procedure in action and also how PF3 correctly directs you to rwy 8.

On the fpl adjustment page double click in any of the boxes under the heading Holds. This allows you to hold not only at STAR ends but also at en-route fixes which is becoming more common now. Also remember to set the Hold probability in "options1" "misc options." You should set it high for an approach to a busy airport like Heathrow.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
huppel69
Post subject: Re: Discretionary vs published holds
Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:11 pm

Thanks for the extensive answer, very clear!

Marcel

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: