OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Feature Requests

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 12 of 12  [ 119 posts ]
Jump to page « 18 9 10 11 12
pck42
Post subject: Re: Feature Requests
Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:00 pm

i Dan, I am still working on these options but having a problem with PF3 displayer. Dave is working on that. Will get back to you, thanks
pck42

Profile Quote
pck42
Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:17 pm

Hi Dan, Got some interesting results using the first scenario. Flight is from KORL to KLFF, with several waypoints. After crossing first waypoint at KMLB, I contacted radar using FSS and using (8) requested land at next available airport. Directed to FL95, which is past the actual nearest airport X26 (Sebastain Muni). FL95 is an uncontrolled grass strip so no ability to contact approach. Tried contacting X26 but the approached frequency produced no response. I will continue with additional flights to see what happens. Will update as I learn more.
Flight Pln is attached if you are inclined to follow it.
pck 42

Attachments
Flight.zip
(837 Bytes) Downloaded 11 times

Profile Quote
pck42
Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:11 pm

Dan, Did a second flight KORL to KTLH. Same result. But i noticed (after crossing my second way point) that when I hit "8" I amended the flight and I requested to land at 6FL8. ATC confirmed. Problem is that 6FL8 is 34 miles away, a private airstrip, uncontrolled and requires permission to land. It does not show on the FS map. In addition, there is a good airport X60 only 8 miles away. So, my question is why would I request the airport in the first place, when I want ATC to find it for me? For me to pick the airport is weird or is there some way I can choose it from the map. Next time I will do this is free flight and see if it is different.
pck42

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:24 pm

pck42 wrote: *  Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:11 pm
Problem is that 6FL8 is 34 miles away, a private airstrip, uncontrolled and requires permission to land. It does not show on the FS map. In addition, there is a good airport X60 only 8 miles away.
The first thing I would do is make sure your PF3 database is updated, because it sounds like there may be some discrepancy between the airports in FS and the airports in the PF3 database. I'm not sure why you would be sent to an airport that is far away. Also it would be helpful if you zip and post the debug log (as usual) so we can see what is happening. I won't be able to interpret it fully but Dave will most definitely want to see the log when he is back with us (hopefully soon ;) )

I haven't tried this so am not familiar with exactly how it works, but once your flight plan is amended, it should be possible to use PF3 Display to find the Approach frequency for your new destination airport, and press 0 to make contact. This should work even if your new destination airport is uncontrolled (no Tower frequency).

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
pck42
Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:41 pm

Hi Dan,
I rebuilt the db as you suggested and flew several VFR and Free Flights w/o success.
FSS "8" still has me choosing an airport (last flight had me tell ATC to ammen my plan to land at airport "8FD2" which as best I can tell does not exist, according to airnav.com and does not show on the GPS map). In no flight was I able to access a tower or approach as ATC simply does not respond to a new Frequency. Flt.Pln is attached if you or someone else wishes to try it. Also attached the debug log for you or Dave to look at. I am sure we need to get Dave back in this picture as I see he is back to work.
pck42

Attachments
Flight.zip
(745 Bytes) Downloaded 12 times
debug_monitor.zip
(221.24 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:06 pm

pck42 wrote: *  Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:41 pm
FSS "8" still has me choosing an airport (last flight had me tell ATC to ammen my plan to land at airport "8FD2" which as best I can tell does not exist, according to airnav.com and does not show on the GPS map).
8FD2 is Flying Horseman Airport, which may now be closed. It was replaced (?) by nearby 81FL, which is listed on Airnav. The airport must be in the PF3 database as 8FD2, as PF3 gets its data from the sim. It is about 9 miles east of your first waypoint, KGNV. It is uncontrolled, so there is no Tower to contact.

Dave is still recovering but hopefully he will have a look at the logs when he is back. I tried FSS Hotkey 8 on a different route and it seems the airport selected is closest to the next waypoint, and I'm not clear on how this works when in free-flight mode, so we'll need to wait for the boss to have a look.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
pck42
Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:19 pm

Yeah the boss will figure this out. You said you tried FSS. When you hit hotkey 8 did you YOURSELF request an airport or did ATC just give you one? My experience has been when I hit the key it is my voice telling ATC where I am going, regardless of what I really want. And, even then I cannot tune tower or approach. What was your experience?
pck42

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:49 pm

pck42 wrote: *  Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:19 pm
When you hit hotkey 8 did you YOURSELF request an airport or did ATC just give you one? My experience has been when I hit the key it is my voice telling ATC where I am going, regardless of what I really want.
Yes, that's the way it works. Your pilot voice requests to amend your flight plan, but at present you cannot select the airport. It would be great if you could be presented with a series of, say, the five closest airports, and select the one you want, similar to how it works when you are requesting a runway change. This is an idea for a feature enhancement and I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement.

If you are landing at an uncontrolled airport you will not be able to contact Tower. On my test flight I was able to contact Approach using the frequency from PF3 Display, but this may not always work.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
pck42
Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:27 pm

Hi Dan, You nailed it. That is exactly what I'm looking for.

Yes, that's the way it works. Your pilot voice requests to amend your flight plan, but at present you cannot select the airport. It would be great if you could be presented with a series of, say, the five closest airports, and select the one you want, similar to how it works when you are requesting a runway change. This is an idea for a feature enhancement and I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement.

Dave, Please consider this an official feature request. Can it be done?
pck42

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 12 of 12  [ 119 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page « 18 9 10 11 12
Jump to: