OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Wishlist: Mute / unmute pilot voice during flight for voice recognition (MCE)

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
RALF9636
Post subject: Wishlist: Mute / unmute pilot voice during flight for voice recognition (MCE)
Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:35 pm

Hi Dave,

I mentioned this earlier but I'm trying to bring it up on your list again because I really miss this feature.

I am now using Multi Crew Experience with PF3 and it is a very immersive experience. While MCE lets me talk to ATC myself I created an extensive Voxkey profile that lets me ask my first officer to talk to ATC.

So now with MCE I have two options I can easily switch during the flight:

1. Press the PTT button and say "Frankfurt Tower, Lufthansa 123 at holding point runway 18, ready for takeoff." In this case I don't want to hear the PF3 pilot voice because I talk to ATC myself.

2. Do not press the PTT button and say "Would you please request takeoff clearance ". In this case I do want to hear the PF3 pilot voice because I told my FO to talk to ATC.

Would you please please support this in PF3 by making it possible to turn the pilot voice on and off during the flight. It would enhance the immersion immensely.

I tried to turn the volume slider all the way to the left but the voice is still there faintly.

Could you perhaps at least change the volume slider so that the voice is completely off when the slider is all the way left?

A more comfortable and elegant solution of course would be a hotkey to mute / unmute the pilot voice.

Since we can individually set the volume of the different sounds during flight I guess this must be possible.

Please. :oops:

Regards

Ralf

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Wishlist: Mute / unmute pilot voice during flight for voice recognition (MCE)
Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:25 pm
Site Admin

Added to the list for consideration ;)

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
RALF9636
Post subject: Re: Wishlist: Mute / unmute pilot voice during flight for voice recognition (MCE)
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:49 am

Thanks.

Here is another idea how to implement this:

Add an option to the VCP mode selecting menu: "Auto-mute pilot voice in VCP mode 0".
Then - with this option set - automatically mute the pilot voice whenever VCP mode 0 is selected during the flight.

So no new hotkey would be needed.

Ralf

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:55 am

RALF9636 wrote:
Add an option to the VCP mode selecting menu: "Auto-mute pilot voice in VCP mode 0".
No extra hotkey is good, number of available keys is sometimes quite limited.
I suggest "Mute voice for user-initiated transmissions" or something similar, so it will work in VCP mode 1, too, or when the user asks for vectors, gives a position report, etc. in modes 2 or 3.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
RALF9636
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:23 am

ThomasAH wrote:
RALF9636 wrote:
No extra hotkey is good, number of available keys is sometimes quite limited.
I suggest "Mute voice for user-initiated transmissions" or something similar, so it will work in VCP mode 1, too, or when the user asks for vectors, gives a position report, etc. in modes 2 or 3.
Might get complicated that way. How would PF3 know if I myself requested vectors or my FO?
I'd be happy if it was connected just to VCP mode 0 so I can easily control it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:24 pm

RALF9636 wrote:
Might get complicated that way. How would PF3 know if I myself requested vectors or my FO?
Ah, ok ... MCE's FO can do requests, too. I only thought about PF3's VCP.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
RALF9636
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:09 pm

ThomasAH wrote:
RALF9636 wrote:
Ah, ok ... MCE's FO can do requests, too. I only thought about PF3's VCP.
Well, actually he can't. All MCE does is send a hotkey that is triggered by a spoken phrase.

But that phrase can either be e.g. "Frankfurt Tower, Lufthansa 123, with you at 3000, to land" which simulates talking to ATC directly (this is what MCE does out of the box).

Or e.g. "Would you please request landing clearance" which simulates advising my FO to talk to ATC (this is what I added to MCE via Voxkey).

In both cases MCE sends the proper hotkey for contacting tower to land. But in the first case the PF3 pilot voice should be silent because I already spoke to ATC whereas in the latter case the PF3 pilot voice should be there simulating my FO who talks to ATC on my advice.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:32 pm

Maybe react to PF3's PTT button:
If it was pressed while another hotkey is pressed (or rather within the GCTimeout), PF3's pilot voice should be silent.
If it wasn't, PF3's voice should be active.
And if PF3's VCP automatically does something, the talking should always be heard, independent from the PTT situation.

Then you just need two different PTT keys: One for talking to PF3+MCE (i.e. to ATC) and one for talking to MCE only (i.e. to your co-pilot)

And for people not using MCE's FO, using different VCP modes becomes possible, e.g. using VCP mode 2 and still being able to request a different altitude via voice.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
RALF9636
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:02 pm

Nice idea, Thomas!

And no second PTT button would be needed because the communication to the MCE FO is designed as "always open" (and suspended when the PTT button is pressed).

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:37 pm

Dave, should I summarize this in the beta wishlist?
(and do you think you could add this in the foreseeable future?)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: