OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Approach and atc not good

Post Reply   Page 1 of 8  [ 77 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 58 »
driver170
Post subject: Approach and atc not good
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:20 am

Ok i'll try explain this as the best as i can.

When on descend ATC cleared me to fl070 just before my star i think, can't mind exactly where but it was before my STAR. As i enter my STAR at fl070 do i hold at that alt or just descend and follow my flight path again? Or am i expecting them to descend me? So i continue on my star and start to descend without hearing nothing from atc only time i do is when before final i pressed the key for cleared for final then i got the message is this right? Why didn't atc not descend me to my FAF?

Profile Quote
driver170
Post subject: Re: Approach and atc not good
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:35 am

Also guys i set my last waypoint, KIDLI to 4000 can i set this alt everytime for a flight or does it matter?

Profile Quote
driver170
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:42 am

I also reached the end of my STAR and nothing happened is this the case and you have to vector yourself? Because i've read ATC vectors you?

How does PFE know your at the end of your STAR?

Also when creating a flight do you insert the SID and STARS or leave them out?

Profile Quote
pschlute
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:40 am

If Dave does not mind, I can give some advice as a user of PFE.

There are two ways to use a STAR in PFE.

1. is to tick the box on the SIDS/STARS page. Using this method, atc will simply tell you that you are cleared to final at your discretion , from the LAST waypoint in your flightplan. You will not get vectors to final. You will be told to contact tower when you are on finals.

2. Do NOT tick the box in the SIDS/STARS page, but select a start of STAR in the waypoints page. You will probably be using a waypoint that is 2;3;or 4 from last. This method will have atc tell you at that point to fly your STAR. You should follow the descent instructions on the STAR you are flying, not expect atc to descend you. Your waypoint altitudes in the PFE flightplan should correspond to the STAR altitudes. When you reach the final waypoint at the correct altitude you should hear atc contact you to vector you to final.

Make sure your final waypoint has the correct altitude in the PFE plan, and that if you have set a minimum FAF for the airport in the SIDS/STARS page, it is best if this is the same.

When you create a flightplan you can add some or all of the STAR waypoints if you wish. The only thing that is needed is that the last waypoint in the plan corresponds to the end of the STAR. Also remember, that the last waypoint should be about 30 nm from the airport

Peter

Peter

Profile Quote
driver170
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:16 pm

Hi thanks for your reply!

I've been doing method 1 that you described but i don't know why ATC only cleared me to FL070 i set up my last waypoint for 4000 and FAF 2000?

I don't get it why would you use method 2 as you described? Will that not mess things up?

Profile Quote
driver170
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:17 pm

Also you mentioned when you create a fp you can add star waypoints? How can you do that in pfe?

Profile Quote
driver170
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:30 pm

One other thing my sid or star waypoints don't show up in pfe or don't you see them?

Profile Quote
driver170
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:34 pm

Also if am using the 737 ngx will i have to input pfe waypoints into my FMC?

Profile Quote
pschlute
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:33 pm

driver170 wrote:
Hi thanks for your reply!

I've been doing method 1 that you described but i don't know why ATC only cleared me to FL070 i set up my last waypoint for 4000 and FAF 2000?

I don't get it why would you use method 2 as you described? Will that not mess things up?

ATC should have cleared you to 4000, and as you hit the last waypoint would have told you "cleared to final at your discretion". You then need to fly your own route to final and descend to 2000.

Method 2 is when you have a STAR that is of considerable length and you want to fly it yourself without ATC guidance, but still wish to be vectored to finals. Why would it mess anything up?

Peter

Profile Quote
pschlute
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:37 pm

driver170 wrote:
Also you mentioned when you create a fp you can add star waypoints? How can you do that in pfe?
You need to make sure the flightplan you are using, before you compile it in PFE, has the STAR waypoints you want.

Peter

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 8  [ 77 posts ]
Return to “PFE Support” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 58 »
Jump to: