OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Could voice control ever be achieved in PFE?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
RojanTrojan
Post subject: Could voice control ever be achieved in PFE?
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:46 pm

I was thinking about this awhile ago. I noticed that FS2Crew now have voice control in their next piece of software. Is this something that can be achieved with PFE some day?

Thanks

Rhydian

Profile Quote
Ray Lunning
Post subject: Re: Could voice control ever be achieved in PFE?
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:20 pm

What do you mean by "voice control"

Thankyou

Ray Lunning
PFE and FDC beta tester

Profile Quote
RojanTrojan
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:38 pm

I mean speaking into a microphone to interact with the PFE atc rather than pressing the number keys to get a response from a controller. Similar to what is done in VOX ATC. I was just wondering whether it would be possible.

Thanks

Rhydian

Profile Quote
JET 1
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:19 am

It is a nice thought, but in my opinion PFE has loads more development priorities before even thinking about voice control, and speech recoqnition technology must advance too.

Bryan (fs2crew author) was asked on his forum if voice control could be implemented over ATC functions too, essentially the pressing of number keys via speech control. Even he said that due to the complexity involved it would probably take more from the simulation than add to it.

Besides, it's the FO that normally does the talking anyway! It would be lot more interesting to develop the way the FO responds to ATC calls, as most PFE users probably fly big jets.

My suggestion for now is just simply map the most used key (roger) to a joystick button.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:01 am
Site Admin

Hi Rhydian

If you want voice control why not use one of the many applications available... many PFE users already do just that

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
RojanTrojan
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:52 am

JET 1 wrote:
Bryan (fs2crew author) was asked on his forum if voice control could be implemented over ATC functions too, essentially the pressing of number keys via speech control. Even he said that due to the complexity involved it would probably take more from the simulation than add to it.
@ JET 1,

Like you say "essentially pressing number keys via speech control". I thought that maybe PFE shares a similarity with FS2Crew programming, pressing a number key will get you a response. I thought that in the future it may be possible to be able to talk to the PFE sound engine rather than pressing keys. But, I agree with you that there are development priorities that could be looked at first before implementing something as complex as voice control.

@ Dave.

Was just wondering what sort of applications you would suggest. Would they intergrate with PFE's voice engine? I use PFE on all my flights and love it's ATC.

Cheers all

Rhydian

Profile Quote
Andydigital
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:17 pm

Voice buddy is the first one that comes to mind, I think there are even freeware apps that do a similar thing but I cant think of the names of any right now.

Cheers,
Andy.

Profile Quote
RojanTrojan
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:07 pm

I'll check that out, thanks Andy.

Rhydian

Profile Quote
JET 1
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:14 pm

As mentioned, there are other programs available for sending keystrokes using voice commands, but what they do is just "press key 1" or "press key 2" .. hardly realistic by any means. I doubt that's what you were looking for?

Profile Quote
BillM
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:14 pm

Guys,

I use Game Commander to achieve voice control over PFE.

At the start of my session, I say "Clearance, Speedbird 3 5 3, at the gate, ready to copy IFR Clearance". I have already programmed GC to pass the "0" key to PFE whenever I say this, so PFE immediatley responds with " Roger, Speedbird 3 5 3, Cleared as Filed ,....... blah, blah, blah".

You can programme GC to transmit all of the various PFE keys, depending on what you say. You can even transnmit the same key, via different verbal instructions, thereby giving a lot of variation to what you say. GC can also be programmed to only pass what you say by pressing a joystick key ( ie a Push to Talk key).

If you then switch off the PFE screen messages, you get a very realistic ( I'm not a RW pilot, mind you) experience.

Bill

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]
Return to “PFE Support” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: