OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Could voice control ever be achieved in PFE?

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 14 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
RojanTrojan
Post subject: Re: Could voice control ever be achieved in PFE?
Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:57 am

@ Jet1

You're correct, that wasn't the sort of thing I had in mind. I've used VOX ATC in the past which uses Microsoft's speech recognition engine to generate the ATC. While it feels immersive being able to physically talk to the ATC and then get a response, I find the synthetic computer voices offputting. PFE's voices feel much more realsitic with their different accents. So that was the sort of thing I was looking for. But... maybe in the future. Dave et al are a clever bunch!

@ Bill

That sounds pretty neat Bill. Dit it take you a long time to do? In fact that was the sort of thing I was thinking of, albeit done by PFE's programming... waiting for the correct verbal instruction before giving the atc response essentially replacing the number choice keys with voice.

Regards

Rhydian

Profile Quote
BillM
Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:29 am

Hi Rhydian,

It probable took a couple of flights to get the bare bones of it set up. All I did was to have FS/PFE/GC all running and then start a PFE session. Then I thought of what I might say to the controller and added that to GC with the appropriate key stroke that PFE would need (saving the new profile as I proceeded). I continued the flight, adding voice commands and key strokes as and when I needed them.

One little trick I developed to keep the amount of voice commands to a minimum was to add in some "wild card" words. Eg. If PFE told me "Speedbird 3 5 3, Climb and Maintain Flight Level One Two Zero", I would reply " Roger, Climb and Maintain Flight Level Dah Dah Dah, Speedbird 3 5 3", and CG would pass the appropriate "Roger" key to PFE. By using the "Dah Dah Dah" wildcard, this will then work for any change of Flight Level, and pass the appropriate "Roger" response. It works because most of the "voice recognition" programmes used by flight simmers cannot really distinguish individual words in a phrase, they work by the overall sound of the phrase.

Once you get your bare bones set of commands, it is then a simple matter to add in alternative variations, all passing the same key stroke.

I hope this gets you started.

Bill

Profile Quote
saunder
Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:21 pm

I know what Rydhian means and I also use VoxATC I find it gets you more involved. Does anyone know if game commander is still available I have not been able to locate it?

Regards

John

Profile Quote
Baman
Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:49 am

Game Commander is no longer available. The nearest equivalent, so far as I know, is Voice Buddy it can be found here http://www.edimensional.com/product_inf ... ucts_id=94

IMHO it is not as easy to use as GC but nonetheless is pretty good.

I use voice control for FDC too; combined with PFE it makes for a very good experience. Surely nobody is using one without the other :o

A good microphone is essential. VB does not allow USB microphones to be used whereas GC does. So if you only have a USB microphone and you purchase VB you will need to add the cost of a non USB mic to the expenditure.

One more thing, I have FDC running on laptop with a separate speaker and PFE likewise. This makes it much easier to hear what is being said whilst keeping the ambient cockpit noise at a realistic level. Doing this really does mean a good mic is required so it does not pick up on ATC when one is running through a check list or 'mishear' commands due to high ambient noise levels.

Hope this helps

Best

Dave
Beta Tester PFE/FDC

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 14 posts ]
Return to “PFE Support” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: