OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

STAR - what am I doing wrong? (have seen tutorial video)

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
anubhav100
Post subject: STAR - what am I doing wrong? (have seen tutorial video)
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi, I am having the following trouble with STAR that I would appreciate your help on. I have seen the tutorial video multiple times but it did not address my problem.

I am flying from KDEN to KSFO via the route: VOAXA Q136 OAL. OAL is the transition and start for the STAR. The flightplan input into PFE does NOT have any STAR in it. All it has is the OAL transition. In PFE I have setup the following:

- STAR marked as "active" in the SID/STAR page
- Different STAR names put in for various runways (for e.g, 28L/28R have MOD4 for STAR, while the 10L/10R has the LOCKE STAR assigned to them)
- in the "Adjust waypoint.." page, I have set the start of star to OAL i.e, the "ST" market is set on the OAL waypoint.
- I have not changed anything else: Missed Approach Altitude, FAF - are all set to default values

Now when approaching or crossing OAL, I expect PFE controller to tell me "Cleared to MOD arrival, remain on this frequency, I'll have traffic for you" or "Cleared to LOCKE arrival, remain on this frequency, I'll have traffic for you".

However, I get no clearance at all when approaching or crossing OAL. I therefore, have to guess a STAR on my own and fly it. I then end up getting a STAR clearance very late in to the approach along with the runway clearance for approach.

Could you please tell me what am I doing wrong? If the "ST" market for start of STAR is set to OAL, why am I not receiving the designated STAR clearance (for the appropriate STAR) when crossing OAL?

Thank you.

Profile Quote
anubhav100
Post subject: Re: STAR - what am I doing wrong? (have seen tutorial video)
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:34 pm

Also just to add, I just realized I never actually get the "Fly the [name] approach, remain on this frequency, I'll have traffic for you". All I get is the "Cleared to final for the [name] approach, runway blah blah" - and I get this clearance super late in the STR.

Profile Quote
Dave Leesley
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:58 pm

ST is the default PFE Star,if you want to fly a particular Star you will need to insert it on the flightplan page.

Regards Dave
Forum Moderator

[ img ]
[ img ]

Profile Quote
anubhav100
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:08 pm

Sorry Dave, I think you misunderstand (or maybe I do)

I have a specific STAR name (say "MOD"), that has been assigned to the specified runways in the SID/STAR page. So the controlled is (correctly) saying "Mike Oscar Delta" and not "Sierra Tango". That is not the issue.

The issue is that the STAR clearance is not being given to me at the waypoint crossing that I have selected in the "Adjust waypoint, SID/STAR" page. I have an "ST" market denoting the start of STAR for the OAL waypoint (this is also the last waypoint in the flight).

However, I do not get a "cleared to mike oscar delta. remain on this frequency, I'll have traffic for you" when I approach or cross OAL. So I end up flying the STAR anyway..and end up getting a "cleared to final via mike oscar delta" much later.

Basically, the controlled is not telling me to fly the star at the waypoint that I have denoted to be the start of star.

I am also ensuring that I hit on "Save changes" on the "Adjust waypoint, SID/STAR page" and not simply closing it.

Profile Quote
anubhav100
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:31 pm

Just did another flight into KSFO with the BSR2 STAR this time. Same problem - did not get a STAR clearance at the designated start of STAR (which was the waypoint "BSR"). Ended up getting the cleared to final clearance much much later into the STAR.

The debug file can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/imqcvpmuk6wzb ... onitor.log

Profile Quote
anubhav100
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:47 pm

I noticed my log file says "NOT Using SID/STAR or Adjusted Waypoint Altitudes..."

Why would this be the case when I am in fact SAVING the Adjust Waypoint Altitudes page (which automatically closes it. I am not simply closing the page after setting the start of STAR but am making sure I save it.

Profile Quote
pschlute
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:55 pm

I am using PFE with FS9 and I would suggest the following which works for me. Try the flight again but do not tick the box "Stars Active" on the SIDS/STARS page (that just gives you "cleared to finals"). Just set the start of STAR (BSR) on the waypoints/altitudes page of the flightplan.

I also suggest you have at least one more waypoint in your plan, no more than 30 nm from the airport. At present your last waypoint BSR is about 80nm away.

Peter

Peter

Profile Quote
anubhav100
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:05 am

Peter - I just tried your method but no success. I unchecked the "STARs active" option but made sure I set a start of STAR waypoint (BSR) on the waypoint/altitude page.

Did not get any STAR clearance upon passing the BSR waypoint. So I started to fly the STAR myself and started getting vectors from the controller.

Why would the controller not recognize my start of STAR waypoint?

Profile Quote
pschlute
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 am

anubhav100 wrote:
Peter - I just tried your method but no success. I unchecked the "STARs active" option but made sure I set a start of STAR waypoint (BSR) on the waypoint/altitude page.

Did not get any STAR clearance upon passing the BSR waypoint. So I started to fly the STAR myself and started getting vectors from the controller.

Why would the controller not recognize my start of STAR waypoint?
Did you add another waypoint as I suggested ?

Peter

Peter

Profile Quote
anubhav100
Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:02 am

Yes - tried with a waypoint closer to the airport and same problem. No clearance from ATC for the STAR - I never get the " blah blah..I'll have traffic for you" message.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]
Return to “PFE Support” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: