OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Vectored intercept too close to localizer centerline

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Perch8808
Post subject: Vectored intercept too close to localizer centerline
Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:32 pm

This is using beta 3.21.75

I've been ignoring ATC and turning early prior to this flight to make the intercept work but I thought I would follow ATC instructions this time to see how it did. ATC gives the last turn to intercept the localizer too late, I don't know what else I can do to avoid not blowing thru the localizer and having to re-intercept from the other side. One needs to get that last vector 1.5 miles or greater from the localizer centerline if your groundspeed is 160 knots.

IRL a good rule of thumb is to get that last turn at 10% of your groundspeed or expect to go thru the centerline. In this case the aircraft is approaching the localizer at 90+ degrees, no way that last turn within 3/4 of a mile of the centerline is going to work.

Here is a video from the last enroute waypoint to touchdown https://youtu.be/-oCfB9veoBA

Attachments
[ attachment ]
radar vector ILS 04L JFK.png (436.18 KiB) Viewed 14938 times
JFK ILS04L debug_monitor.zip
(470.91 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

Profile Quote
Perch8808
Post subject: Re: Vectored intercept too close to localizer centerline
Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:40 pm

Should be 1% of groundspeed not 10% IE 160 knots the last turn at 1.6 miles more or less

Profile Quote
Perch8808
Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:05 am

2 more vectored approaches tonight, an ILS into PANC and an RNAV into FMNM, both worked just fine. I'm not sure if placing the final enroute waypoint too close to the FAF causes a problem but if the waypoint is 25 miles away everything seems to be OK.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:28 pm
Site Admin

Yes it's always best to have your last waypoint further out... the closer you get the harder the vectoring 'can' be. As for the last turn, at 160 knots PF3 will be trying to turn you at 2.5 miles BUT, and it is a big but (if you excuse my language ;-) ), it can also come down to timing. PF3 is not multi-thread so can basically only do one thing at a time. You may or may not have notice that radio chatter becomes less during your approach vectoring. This is intentional because whilst you're listening to ATC talking to another aircraft or other traffic responding to ATC you obviously can't be given any instructions until that trx has completed.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Perch8808
Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:25 pm

Thanks for the reply Dave. It gives me a better idea where to place the last enroute waypoint.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: