OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Cannot capture localizer

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
pck42
Post subject: Cannot capture localizer
Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:47 pm

Hello Dave,

Flying IFR KISM to KLAL, I cannot pickup up the localizer for an RNAV Approach.

After receiving Clearance to rwy 28 PF3 puts me on a heading of 244 (?). I Change to the localizer and the green arrow is pointing away from the runway.
Hit the approach key and nothing happens. In 0rder to get on the proper course I have to manually fly instead of AP. AND VPTH does not work either. So what am i doing wrong here.
pck42

Attachments
debug_monitor.zip
(212.85 KiB) Downloaded 131 times

Profile Quote
johnhinson
Post subject: Re: Cannot capture localizer
Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:35 pm

It may be different in your similator, but on mine the only ILS at KLAL is Runway 5, with a backcourse beam on it for 28. If yours is the same, you need to lock onto a backcourse (often a B button on autopilot or Ctrl-B on the keyboard). You will need to control your descent manually.

Normally, PF3 will specifically mention ILS when vectoring you for approach, for an ILS backcourse you will get similar instructions as for visual approaches.

John

My co-pilot is called Sid and he's a real Star!

Profile Quote
pck42
Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:20 pm

Thanks for your response, John,

Strange but on my fs220 the ILS rwy at KLAL is 10, LOC 110.1
This works fine for an ILS approach. However, (at least according to AIRNAV.COM) KLAL has RNAV available at rwy 5, 10 23 and 28. That is what I am practicing.
So why would the Localizer be pointed away from the rwy???
pck42

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:40 pm

The ILS or localizer for runway 10 is directional, used for approaches to runway 10. You can lock on to it when you are making an approach to runway 10.

As John said there is no ILS for runway 28. You are landing in the opposite direction to the intended use for the ILS for runway 10. When this happens you can do a backcourse visual approach, which lets you use the opposite runway's localizer for lateral guidance, but there is no glide slope and you will not get vertical guidance.

KLAL has RNAV approaches available for all runways, but an RNAV approach does not use an ILS or localizer. You load the waypoints in your FMC or GPS, and follow the waypoints to the runway. For the RNAV 28 you would use GILDE, ECADE, and CUVNA.

KLAL Lakeland Linder International

KLAL ILS or LOC RWY 10

KLAL RNAV (GPS) RWY 28

If you are doing an RNAV approach and flying waypoints to the runway, you usually do not want to be vectored by PF3 because PF3 does not know the details of the procedure you are flying. When you reach a point where you no longer want to be vectored, press Hotkey 1 and you will be cleared to complete the approach at pilot's discretion. This means no more vectors, and it's on you to fly the rest of the approach procedure to the assigned runway.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: