OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Question About "ADDED a user request for ATC to give you an 'expected' runway when clearing you for a STAR" Function

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
dtsakiris
Post subject: Question About "ADDED a user request for ATC to give you an 'expected' runway when clearing you for a STAR" Function
Posted: Wed May 03, 2023 2:30 pm

Hello, I have a question about this function that was added with 3.20.0: "ADDED a user request for ATC to give you an 'expected' runway when
clearing you for a STAR." This is a great addition, but is the active runway verified again after the initial clearance? Especially in the US, with it's hour-long STARs, this would be important.

I have attached logs from my last flight to KSEA, where I received R16L with the STAR, but everyone else was landing on the 34's...thanks for checking

Attachments
PF3_Logs_2023-05-01_15-39.zip
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 126 times

Profile Quote
Dan77
Post subject: Re: Question About "ADDED a user request for ATC to give you an 'expected' runway when clearing you for a STAR" Function
Posted: Wed May 03, 2023 3:25 pm

I took a look at your log and it looks like your last waypoint is LMT, which is more than 300 miles from the destination. This may be the STAR transition on the charts but in PF3 the last flight plan waypoint should be about 25-40 miles out. In the US and Canada, since the STARs are so long, much of the STAR needs to be included in your flight plan or the last waypoint will be much too far. See Section 20.5 in the User Guide for more info.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
dtsakiris
Post subject: Re: Question About "ADDED a user request for ATC to give you an 'expected' runway when clearing you for a STAR" Function
Posted: Thu May 04, 2023 4:44 pm

Yes, that is correct, that is how it was filed in real life according to Real World Flightplan Database edi-gla.co.uk. I also set the appropriate STAR in the FMC.

But in the case that the STAR had been included in the flight plan Simbrief exported, I would have marked LMT as the first STAR waypoint in PF3. That wouldn't have led to the same issue?

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Thu May 04, 2023 6:35 pm

dtsakiris wrote: *  Thu May 04, 2023 4:44 pm
But in the case that the STAR had been included in the flight plan Simbrief exported, I would have marked LMT as the first STAR waypoint in PF3. That wouldn't have led to the same issue?
Not exactly. PF3 will attempt to perform an initial weather check at the waypoint you mark as start of STAR, so that much would probably have been the same. The closer your start-of-STAR waypoint is to the destination, likely the more accurate the estimate will be because the weather will more accurately reflect the weather at the time of landing. At your last waypoint, ideally less than 45 miles or so out, PF3 will hand you to Approach Control, once again check for the best active runway, and clear you for approach at pilot's discretion (if you have the STARs box checked). This way the active runway check and approach clearance will occur when you are much closer to the destination.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
dtsakiris
Posted: Fri May 05, 2023 12:00 pm

Okay, thank you for that information. In the future I will choose my flightplans accordingly.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: