OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

PF3 won't start - only shows a Blank Window on taskbar icon

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
playingitbyear
Post subject: PF3 won't start - only shows a Blank Window on taskbar icon
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:58 am

Haven't used PF3 for about a month. I loaded the latest version of MSFS and then went to open PF3 but it flashed a popup about 1/4 second long that I had to redo about 5 times to catch what it was saying, which I think was "PF3 system check in progress" It then puts an icon in my task bar, but when I hover over it , it only shows a miniature window with a blank screen in the small icon. I tried starting PF3 several times. I shut down and restarted the computer. No luck with that. Then I came to the PF3 website and found the cumulative 3.19.0 update and downloaded and installed that. The install went fine with no errors. When I tried starting up PF3 again, I got the same issue as reported above. As another note, I also tried starting it up with the blank application window showing as an icon in the taskbar and because it said it was doing a system check in progress, I left it open at that state for about 20 minutes to see if it might finish whatever progress it was in and then show up normally again, but to no avail.

Attachments
debug_monitor (2).zip
(1.26 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

Profile Quote
playingitbyear
Post subject: Re: PF3 won't start - only shows a Blank Window on taskbar icon
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:21 am

I found this "Updates" file that has info from the first time I tried to start PF3 up. Looking at the time stamps of around 6:49 pm, this was all before I downloaded the newest cumulative update, but I'm sending this file to you in case it sheds any more light on the problem.
- Mike

Attachments
version 3.15.7.zip
(483 Bytes) Downloaded 56 times

Profile Quote
playingitbyear
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:26 am

and here's the "Startup log"

Attachments
startup.zip
(383 Bytes) Downloaded 81 times

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:29 am

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
playingitbyear
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:41 am

I've been looking for other possible solutions since i sent in my first email and just came across FAQ # 33 and tried that and it worked. I came back here to let you know I'm working ok now and saw your "See FAQ #33" reply. Was hoping to get back to you before you had to spend any time with me since I'm good now. You answered that so quickly that it must be a popular "user error" - One of those - " you can't see the forest for the trees" moments. :-)
Thanks for your help Dan! /Mike

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:48 am

Great, glad it's working :D

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
playingitbyear
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:19 am

Hey Dan - sorry to be coming right back again. After I got the app moved over to where I could see it, I tried to click on "Select a flight plan" and the button depressed but nothing happened and then the app locked up. Tried this several times with different buttons like "Option 1 & 2" but same thing happened. Then I tried pressing "Update" button and got a message saying i needed Net Core, so i downloaded that and the app still locked up. Then I saw FAQ #16 and changed the "Auto Updates to "0" but that didn't help either. I noticed that the "Connect to FS" is grayed out so was wondering if maybe something is not working with Sim Connect and that might be the issue?

Profile Quote
pointy56
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:35 am

playingitbyear wrote: *  Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:19 am
Then I tried pressing "Update" button and got a message saying i needed Net Core, so i downloaded that and the app still locked up.
The new updater requires Windows Desktop Runtime for x86 (windowsdesktop-runtime-3.1.28-win-x86.exe).
Please note: You need to install the x86 version and NOT the x64 version, even if your OS is 64 bit. https://download.visualstudio.microsoft ... in-x86.exe
Please can you make sure that you have installed the correct version.

'Connect to FS' will be greyed out until you have selected a flight plan - I'm not sure why you are unable to do so, hopefully Dave will advise.

Martin

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:56 am
Site Admin

playingitbyear wrote: *  Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:19 am
Hey Dan - sorry to be coming right back again. After I got the app moved over to where I could see it, I tried to click on "Select a flight plan" and the button depressed but nothing happened and then the app locked up. Tried this several times with different buttons like "Option 1 & 2" but same thing happened. Then I tried pressing "Update" button and got a message saying i needed Net Core, so i downloaded that and the app still locked up. Then I saw FAQ #16 and changed the "Auto Updates to "0" but that didn't help either. I noticed that the "Connect to FS" is grayed out so was wondering if maybe something is not working with Sim Connect and that might be the issue?
Okay, since replying to this post earlier I've now deleted that reply

If you download the Interim Beta version (3.19.6) just posted at the top of this forum... run it and then right-click the picture of the aircraft on the PF3 main screen, it will ask you if you wish to reset all the previously saved PF3 display window positions. Just select Yes, then try PF3 again. Everything should hopefully then be back to normal

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
playingitbyear
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:13 pm

Thanks Dave - that did the trick. After a while I realized it wasn't PF3 locking up, it was just waiting for me to make a selection on a secondary pop-up that I could not see. Appreciate everyone's help!

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: