OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

ICAO code error?

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
martinlest
Post subject: ICAO code error?
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:41 pm

Loading a flight VCCJ to VOVZ.. but when I connect, PF3 tells me that it cannot find the airport 'VEVZ' in the database. (VEVZ is the old ICAO code for VOVZ). I don't know where the instance of VEVZ would occur for PF3 to be trying to load it: all the files I can access (including runways.csv) have VOVZ (and so of course does my flight plan). PF3 then crashes...

Attach the log.. advice on how to fix this (i.e. stop PF3 looking for VEVZ - and then crashing) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Martin
debug_monitor.zip
(13.57 KiB) Downloaded 38 times

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: ICAO code error?
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:04 pm
Site Admin

VEVZ is in the default FS9 and FSX databases but not in P3D or MSFS, so I guess you need to rebuild your database

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:22 pm

Hi... I did rebuild the PF3 database. I think it's using FSX - I don't have P3D or MSFS.

I am a bit confused by your reply though - PF3 says it can't find VEVZ. But that's the old ICAO code - ideally it should not be looking for VEVZ, but VOVZ. Indicates to my mind that a 'fix' made by me, if any, would involve changing the correct new code back to the old one, so that PF3 can locate it, (VEVZ). But shouldn't PF3 not be looking for VEVZ in the first place. That's defunct as a code. Is there anything I can do as 'end user' to fix that, other than try changing VOVZ back to VEVZ?

Thanks.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:21 am
Site Admin

It's looking for the code because I typed it into the sids and stars page you see if it exists, I didn't use your flight plan

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:29 pm

Quote:
It's looking for the code because I typed it into the sids and stars page you see if it exists

Could
be me I suppose, but I've read that several times now and still can't see what it means. I type VEVZ into my SIDs/STARs page in PF3 and it says it couldn't find VEVZ in the database. VOVZ, the correct code, is fine in the same page.

When I connect PF3 to the sim, I am again told that VEVZ cannot be found and PF3 crashes. What steps can I take to have PF3 not search for VEVZ but use VOVZ? Or, as I asked, do I need to revert to VEVZ from VOVZ in any of the files that PF3 uses to create its database. I assume that going back to VEVZ, which doesn't exist in the sim, wouldn't create other problems elsewhere?

Thank you.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:22 pm
Site Admin

Sorry for the type...
Quote:
It's looking for the code because I typed it into the sids and stars page YOU see if it exists, I didn't use your flight plan
Should read
Quote:
It's looking for the code because I typed it into the sids and stars page TO see if it exists, I didn't use your flight plan
If it doesn't exist in your database then that's the problem.... I'd like to try your flight plan here, but my guess is it will work just fine

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:43 pm

OK, thanks for the clarification Dave. Thing is though, it shouldn't exist in the database, 'cos VEVZ is defunct as an ICAO code. I was asking therefore how to fix things so that PF3 no longer looks for VEVZ, not how I can change my database files to go back to that non-existent (at least in the real-world) code. Surely changed ICAO codes can be updated in PF3 to fall in line with real-world (I probably did it more than once over the years, but I don't recall how, if so)?

;)

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:57 pm
Site Admin

Well PF3 uses the same data as FS. How that relates to XP I have no idea. With all other sims MakeRwys extracts the data from FS for PF3 to use. The only sim that;s likely to be anywhere near in sync with the RW is MSFS and possibly P3D to some extent. But provided both are in sync it shouldn't really be a problem, should it?

How do you rebuild the database for PF3 when using XP?

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:34 pm

Quote:
How do you rebuild the database for PF3 when using XP?
I think X-Plane uses pretty much the same method. To update my PF3 database I do what I did in FS9 (as far as I remember: I have only flown XP11 since 2017): Option#1 => Rebuild PF3 Database => check all but the first box => point to runways.csv when asked ... and off it goes.

The problem, whether all is in sync or not, is that all my files (the ones which PF3 uses to create its database, and which I can check in a text editor or similar) correctly use the new code VOVZ- as does XP11 itself, and my addon scenery for the airport too: but PF3 is complaining that it can't find 'VEVZ', the defunct code - and it then crashes ('not responding') - to add insult to injury. :(

The 'solution' would be just not to use PF3 when I fly to or from VOVZ, but I should ask a more general question: when any airport has its ICAO code updated (not a rare occurrence of course) and PF3 is still looking for the old one, how do you update things so that PF3 uses the new code and no longer looks for the old one? I thought I had a link to how to do that somewhere, but I seem not to...

M. ;)

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:56 am
Site Admin

Hi Martin,

It's still not clear (to me) how you update the PF3 database
Quote:
I think X-Plane uses pretty much the same method. To update my PF3 database I do what I did in FS9 (as far as I remember: I have only flown XP11 since 2017): Option#1 => Rebuild PF3 Database => check all but the first box => point to runways.csv when asked ... and off it goes.
With PF3 you MUST run the MakeRwys utility, which extracts all the relevant data from the sim and produces the files required by PF3.
Quote:
The 'solution' would be just not to use PF3 when I fly to or from VOVZ, but I should ask a more general question: when any airport has its ICAO code updated (not a rare occurrence of course) and PF3 is still looking for the old one, how do you update things so that PF3 uses the new code and no longer looks for the old one? I thought I had a link to how to do that somewhere, but I seem not to...
It doesn't matter if an ICAO is changed in the RW, PF3 only knows what is in the simulator, via MakeRwys. There's no way to change this in PF3, you would have to change it in the sim.

My guess is the file containing the ICAO code in question is in the PF3FSXData.dat file, which you cannot change with a text editor

Please attach your flight plan so I can see if it works here

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: