OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Route Setup Advice

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
ridgeandgable
Post subject: Route Setup Advice
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:48 pm

Hi Guys

After taking time out I'm trying to get back into my FlightSim and remembering how to setup my flights

Example... EGPH to EGAA (Edinburgh to Belfast)

I have..

GOSAM (SD)
P600
BLACA (DP)
BELZU

Looking at the charts for EGPH, Max Alt is 6000, so in PF3, do I add 6000 on the edit Flightplan area and give new altitude and the same for the Belzu in Belfast, or do I edit Sid / Stars page and add it in at the Airport section?

Do I need to have Sid & Stars set to active *checked or uncheck)? Ideally, I just want vectors after takeoff with flight following and then vectors to my approach for landing - Whats best setup for that?

Profile Quote
Dan77
Post subject: Re: Route Setup Advice
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:39 pm

Here are a few suggestions. I would leave BELZU out of the flight plan (or deactivate it on the PF3 flight plan page) because it is only one mile from the destination. Your last waypoint will be BLACA (39 miles out). Do not check the STARs box on the SID/STAR page. When you reach BLACA, PF3 will vector you to the active runway for landing.

Your first waypoint is GOSAM. If you want to cross GOSAM at 6000, enter 6000 for GOSAM on the flight plan page. PF3 will resume climbing you to cruise after you cross GOSAM. If you want vectors from the airport to GOSAM, do not check the SIDs box on the SID/STAR page and do NOT set a DP on the flight plan page. Doing either of these will turn on SID mode and you will not get vectors after takeoff. If you do not want vectors and want to fly the published departure procedure (GOSA1C or GOSA1D), check the SIDs box or set GOSAM as DP. You won't get vectors after takeoff and will need to get to GOSAM on your own (by hand, or your FMC).

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ridgeandgable
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:44 pm

Thanks Dan

And I assume that'll be the same for destination. If I want to fly my flight plan as published in the FMC, I would enable STARS and set the ST but if I want the vectors from ATC, disable that.

Cheers, Will give it a try. I did wonder why I got nothing from ATC when I flew it earlier but I had Sid/starts checked, didn't get a descend request or anything after checking in with Scottish Centre

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:17 pm

ridgeandgable wrote: *  Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:44 pm
And I assume that'll be the same for destination. If I want to fly my flight plan as published in the FMC, I would enable STARS and set the ST but if I want the vectors from ATC, disable that.
It's a bit different for the destination because the ST designation and the STARs box are really two different things. The STARs box is very specific and applies to the last waypoint in your flight plan. If unchecked, you get vectors from your last waypoint to the airport. If checked, you do not get vectors after the last waypoint. You are cleared at pilot's discretion for approach to the active runway and need to get there on your own (by hand, or by any procedure you want, with or without your FMC).

The ST designation is optional. You can use it if you want PF3 to issue you a STAR clearance at a waypoint other than your last waypoint, but it really does not affect the flight as you are still expected to follow the rest of your flight plan and the ATC behaviour at the last waypoint is still controlled by the STARs box.

TIP: If you think you may want vectors for landing, do not check the STARs box before the flight. When ATC starts vectoring you at the last waypoint, you can always use Hotkey 1 to request clearance at pilot's discretion if you decide you don't want vectors and would rather fly the approach on your own.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: