Welcome to our Product Support Forums

FDC / Vista / Error 58

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Dave March
Post subject: FDC / Vista / Error 58
Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:14 am
Site Admin

Thanks to one of our users (Dennis from Southern California, USA) I think we may now have a solution to the Error 58 problem some of you are experiencing after installing FDC on a Windows Vista machine.

The main culprit is the User Account Control (UAC) feature which, although designed to keep your pc safe, is a little annoying to say the least. I turned UAC off from day one, hence the reason why my installations worked every time. By turning this feature ON I can recreate the problem each time.

So, here's what you need to do and please note these instructions assume you are using the standard Vista interface and have not switched to Classic View. You must also be logged on using an Administration account.

If you've already installed FDC on your Vista machine please uninstall it.

Turn UAC OFF by selecting Start / Control Panel /User Accounts and Family Safety / User Accounts

Select the last item on the displayed window which should be Turn User Account Control on or off... you will need to hit Continue on the annoying UAC prompt message at this point

On the next page you'll see an option marked User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer, which you need to unselect, then click Okay and Restart your Computer.

At this point you should be able to install FDC 3.5 from CD (or downloaded installer) with no problems as I can... then use the Updates feature from the main menu to apply version 3.6 and version 3.7 (Remember you won't be able to 'connect' FDC to FS until you have version 3.7 installed).

The same user who passed on this tip found that he was still unable to successfully install FDC unless he also removed his Admin password. This is a little strange because I actually have a password set on my Vista pc due to it being a prerequisite for using Remote Desktop.

What I would suggest is you try the above (UAC) approach first and if you still have problems then try removing your password, which you can do by following these steps:-

Select Start / Control Panel /User Accounts and Family Safety / Change your Windows password / Remove your password (you will obviously have to enter your password to gain access at this point).

Next time you start your pc you will not have to enter a password.

My guess is, should you find you have to remove your password in order to get FDC installed you will probably be able to reset it afterwards, but I haven't tested that. You might even be able to turn UAC back on if that is your desire, but again I haven't tried.

I would obviously like to hear from anyone still experiencing problems after trying these tips. Equally it would be nice to hear from those previously experiencing such problems who are now able to enjoy FDC on a Vista machine.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Andydigital
Post subject: Re: FDC / Vista / Error 58
Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:20 am

When you run the original installer program if you right click on the file and select "run as administrator" you shouldn't have to bother turning off UAC as mentioned above. Also do the same when you come to run the program after it has been installed.

Equally all other programs that you run with FSX/FS9 must also be started in the same way with "run as administrator" selected (only if you have not turned off UAC), this includes FSX and FS9 themselves. The reason for this is that Vista does not allow a program with admin rights to communicate with a program that does not have admin rights, and vice versa.

Cheers,
Andy.

Profile Quote
Lindbergh72
Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:12 pm

I have "run time error 53" - file not found :? after I have installed the latest version... please help.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:30 pm
Site Admin

What's the latest version? What does it say on the main menu screen and when does this error occur?

How did you update? Was it using the Updates button or did you download the accumulative update pack?

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lindbergh72
Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:23 pm

dmarch wrote:
What's the latest version? What does it say on the main menu screen and when does this error occur?

How did you update? Was it using the Updates button or did you download the accumulative update pack?

I updated it today and the error occurs when I start FDC :(

I used the "updates button"

Profile Quote
Lindbergh72
Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:13 pm

Now what? do I have to uninstall FDC and reinstalled again or? :?

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:22 pm
Site Admin

Download and install the accumulative update... no need to uninstall anything

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lindbergh72
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:29 pm

Thanks... It's working ;)

Profile Quote
aleximo455
Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:03 pm

Hey - I recently bought the FDC Live Cockpit 2011 and am having real problems getting it to work. I downloaded it from the aerosoft website, and installed it. i am running Windows Vista Business. It installs fine, but after installing first time i got the Error 58 message. i then uninstalled and reset UAC. After reinstalling that time, i got to the updates box, clicked "yes" for auto updates, but then it closed and doesn't come up with the menu box. I reinstalled again without my admin passwprd, and still after it displays the opening screen (picture of a cockpit) it closes and nothing else opens.

Any help would be appreciated - Thanks

Alex

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:33 pm
Site Admin

Are you running it as Admin?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]
Return to “FDC Support” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: