OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

A Couple of General Questions

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
Petercove
Post subject: A Couple of General Questions
Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:36 am

Just curious but if I take off from Amsterdam EHAM where the transition altitude is 3000 ft and land at LIML Milan where its 6000 ft then my understanding is I should set my altimeter to 1013.2 climbing through 3000ft and keep it there until descending through 6000 ft to Milan where I set it to the local QNH as per the ATIS or controller. So I am wondering why when at altitude (eg FL330) where I should be on standard setting (1013) I keep getting given the local QNH as I pass through various controlled airspace zones. If I had a need to depart from my flight plan I am sure the controllers would then give me the local QNH.

My second question is whilst awaiting take off clearance the tower is telling inbound aircraft they are to "continue the approach" so would not the correct read back be "Roger, cleared continue approach" and not "maintain present heading"?

Cheers

Peter

Profile Quote
Dan77
Post subject: Re: A Couple of General Questions
Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:13 pm

Regarding your #1 please zip and post the logs from a flight where this is happening. You really shouldn't be getting a QNH call if you are above TA.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:56 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
My second question is whilst awaiting take off clearance the tower is telling inbound aircraft they are to "continue the approach" so would not the correct read back be "Roger, cleared continue approach" and not "maintain present heading"?
Yes indeed. I must say I never really listen to it... it's just there.. I'll take a look, it will be an easy enough fix so should be in the next release.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:30 pm
Site Admin

Fix will be in tomorrows release :D

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Petercove
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:10 am

Hi Dave,

You requested a log file with the QNH given when above TA. These should feature that issue. Just did a flight from EHAM to LIML and PF3 went well including being able to skip forward to TOD and it went flawless all way to shutdown at the gate. If you find you are still too high at the end of the downwind leg is there any way to request extend downwind to get rid of the height? I find I often end up above the GS and that usually does not end well for a good ILS approach.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments
Logs.zip
(688.71 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:49 pm
Site Admin

It might be me but I couldn't find anything wrong in this log with regard to QNH being given.

There's no way to request an extended downwind leg. You can always configure the FAF Distance to be further out if you wish (option #2 then Advanced Options. It defaults to 7 miles

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:24 pm

Just to expand a bit on Dave's suggestion above, try increasing the FAF distance slightly, to perhaps 9 or so. This will increase the distance at which you intercept the ILS and will take you farther downwind. Setting this value too high will result in a very (unnecessarily) long downwind distance.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:24 pm

Petercove wrote: *  Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:36 am
Just curious but if I take off from Amsterdam EHAM where the transition altitude is 3000 ft
Check and see if you have the local airport TA at EHAM set at 18000. Click the SID/STAR button and type EHAM for the ICAO and press Enter. The transition altitude for the airport should be set at 0, in which case the default value of 3000 will be used. If you have 18000 set for the airport TA, it will override the default value and will be used until you are 30 miles from the airport. Your log suggests that a local airport TA of 18000 is being used for EHAM.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: