OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Flying to Salszburg

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
Abcdeflijus
Post subject: Flying to Salszburg
Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:54 pm

I've been flying with PF3 without problems for a long time and this post is not a problem report, I would just like to understand more how this software works.
So wanted to fly to Salszburg (LOWS). This airport in general is complicated for landings, but wanted to see how ATC will handle vectoring for approach.
Well, need to say, it was scary, as it navigated me very close in between mountains and relatively low, what would definitely be too dangerous in real world.
But it did the job, it gave me final vectors for the runway 33 and I landed without issues. Thumbs up for the software! 8-)
I was just wondering, how accurately PF3 does see scenery/terrain? And when approaching on vectors, what are these vectors based on? It was never a problem to fly STAR approaches and I would guess it would also not be for Salszburg on some modern airplane, but I was flying CS 737-200 which is an old fashion horse and does not have proper FMS, so most of the time I am trying to get vectors and visual references for landing. Basically I want to know how realistic PF3 vectoring is, when flying to more complicated airports like LOWS, LOWI or others located in mountain area? Or those airports should always be flown on RNP approaches?
Simulator P3D V4 by the way. Debug attached just in case ;)

Regards, Viktor.

Attachments
debug_monitor.zip
(376.35 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

Profile Quote
Dave Leesley
Post subject: Re: Flying to Salszburg
Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:39 pm

This where "Charts" would come in handy,i believe there is a bit of this mentioned in the FAQ's about flying in mountainous regions.

Regards Dave
Forum Moderator

[ img ]
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:05 pm

As Dave said when flying in mountainous areas it is best to consult the charts and fly a published procedure because they are designed to avoid obstacles, irregular terrain, and restricted airspace. PF3 uses a standard vectoring algorithm that may not work well in these areas. The procedure you fly does not need to be RNP or RNAV or GPS. It can be VOR or circling or anything you are flying without vector guidance.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Abcdeflijus
Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:44 pm

Ok, got it. I do use navigraph charts for every single flight and I am familiar with procedures for Salzburg. In FAQ's about situations like this, it sais to hit hot key #1 and ask to be cleared to finals. So when this should be done? Reaching last point? If it's so, is it not better just to activate STAR approach form menu and simply fly approved version?

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:15 am

If you are certain you do not want vectors after the last waypoint, you can check the STARs box on the SID/STAR page before the flight. If you want to make the decision later, leave the STARs box unchecked and use hotkey 1 after the last waypoint. You may be able to accept vectors if landing on runway 15, but if landing on 33 almost certainly not. You can use hotkey 1 even after you have started getting vectors, if you change your mind or don't like how the approach is going.

By the way if you fly an approach that does not line up with the runway until you are very close to the airport (for example the circling approach to runway 33) you may not get an automatic Tower handoff. In this case you should be prepared to manually tune Tower frequency and hit hotkey 1 to request landing clearance. This can happen with any approach that turns sharply toward the runway very close to the airport.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Abcdeflijus
Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:43 am

Thanks Dan,

Very good point about hand off to tower. In my case I was handed and had enough time to be cleared to land.
What I have notice regarding hand off to tower, that if I declare missed approach (that was on other flight), then I am handed to approach again and when established on ILS on return, it does not automatically tune to tower and report position. Need to manually tune and report intensions, but that does not work all the time. And some times I am only getting contact with tower after landing when it's asking to exit runway and contact ground.
But I guess that should be a different topic and obviously I don't have any debug file for that now, so will wait if it will happen again.
Most likely it's some mistake of mine :mrgreen:

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:32 am
Site Admin

I think Dan and Dave L have covered all of your queries... just to add, PF3 is NOT aware of surrounding terrain, only elevation of airports and the ground immediately below your aircraft. As in the RW when flying to/from mountainous areas charts are essential

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Abcdeflijus
Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:38 pm

They did. Thanks a lot to everyone, appreciate it so much.
The thing is that I am only fanatic pilot and don't know how it works in real world.
I was always thinking, that aviation is very strict and every single step needs to be carried out with precision "as in the book". Never knew that there can be improvisations, especially when flying airliners.

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:03 pm

In the real world if you are IFR you are either vectored or ATC assigns you a specific procedure which must be flown as published. It is strict because ATC needs to maintain separation. In PF3 if you don't want vectors you can choose how you want to fly the departure or approach, so you have a lot more freedom. :)

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Abcdeflijus
Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:34 pm

Isn't reality we all want to achieve when flying? ;)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: