OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

No Scottish Center

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 27 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3
ridgeandgable
Post subject: Re: No Scottish Center
Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:02 pm

I mostly leave radio upto MCE copilot until I'm at cruise :D, Will try and handle the radios myself and see how it goes

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:29 am
Site Admin

That's fine too leave the radios to MCE but surely you have to setup a 'Roger/Readback'. I don't use it myself but like any Voice Recognition software you have to configure it correctly otherwise it won't know what to do.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ridgeandgable
Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:46 am

MCE always reads back any atc instructions if they are handling the radios or I take to long to answer back. I have MCE setup as per their tutorial.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:42 pm
Site Admin

Yes but MCE should also be sending the 'Roger' Hotkey and there are no such hotkeys appearing in the PF3 log so something is amiss.

Do you have the latest version of MCE because they have been updating things to support some of the new PF3 phraseology?

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ridgeandgable
Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:45 pm

I updated MCE last week. I must say I’ve never heard MCE copilot saying roger or MCE tutorial asking me to define any hot keys.

How do I define a hot key for “roger”?

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:33 pm
Site Admin

Well it should be already setup. As I said I don't use it so I asked our resident Guru to explain how it hangs together, here's his response:-
Quote:
you don't hit any hotkeys manually on your keyboard at all when using MCE (at least that's the idea).

There are two modes when using MCE with PF3:

Mode 1: "You have ATC". As far as I am aware that is the default setting of MCE. It means that the user does not talk to ATC but to his first officer (=MCE).
For example you say "request ATC clearance", MCE says something like "okay" and you hear MCE say "Frankfurt delivery, Lufthansa 123 requesting clearance IFR to Heathrow" and MCE will send the hotkey 0 which PF3 detects. You hear PF3 giving the clearance, you hear MCE read back the clearance and MCE sends the roger-hotkey.

Mode 2: "I have ATC". With this setting you talk to ATC directly. You press your PTT-button and say "Frankfurt delivery, Lufthansa 123 requesting clearance IFR to Heathrow". MCE sends hotkey 0. PF3 give the clearance, you read it back while pressing the PTT button and MCE sends the roger-hotkey.

You can switch between these two modes any time by saying "I have ATC" or "You have ATC" (there are other phrases as well like "my radios" etc.). There is no options menu to make this setting.

You can also use a kind of hybrid mode. While in "I have ATC"-mode you say "request clearance" without pressing the PTT-button. MCE will comply as in mode 1, but not automatically read back and send the roger key. You can read back yourself while pressing the PTT-button and MCE will send the roger-key or you can say "reply to ATC" and MCE will do so and then send the roger-key.

You can of course still manually press the hotkeys yourself on the keyboard if everything else fails.

So maybe the user was in "I have ATC"-mode or it was a glitch in MCE. MCE is still being adapted to the new phraseology of PF3. In particular the phraseology around the clearances given on ground have changed a bit and at first MCE did not correctly recognize the transmissions because the keywords changed (e.g. the new "report ready to taxi"). There were some patches by MCE recently and I think it is still in ongoing development. So the user has to make sure to be on the latest version of MCE.

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ridgeandgable
Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:03 pm

Hi Dave

Thanks for that

Usually I run in the "hybrid" style you mention. ON the ground whilst running through the various checklists etc I tell him to ask for clearance, startup & taxi etc while I'm getting ready, then once ready for take off, I'll handle the radios myself

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 27 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page « 1 2 3
Jump to: