OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Multiple RemoteText at the same time?

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
BF Bullpup
Post subject: Multiple RemoteText at the same time?
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:03 am

Hi there. After a couple hours of labor, I was able to figure out how to get Windows 10 to recognize my flight simming desktop and my Windows 10 tablet/laptop hybrid in my home network. The reason I did all that was because I was trying to get the tablet to be able to show RemoteText captions from the simming desktop in case I need to run to another room with my tablet and don't want to miss an ATC message.

I found an issue I am hoping someone knows how to solve. If I run PF3 and RT on my simming computer, everything is fine. I have installed the PF3 demo in the tablet, including RemoteText (the desktop is the paid version). When I run RemoteText in the tablet, while it is also running in the desktop, RT is able to connect to my desktop. However, I see the "Waiting for connection..." message in the tablet. If I close RT in the simming computer, the tablet is able to show the captions. When I run RT in my desktop, it "Waits for connection..." until I close RT in the tablet. The RT in the desktop is then able to show the captions.

So is there any way to run two RemoteTexts (one on the simming desktop and the other in the tablet) and have captions show up in both rather than "Wait for connection..."? I tried turning off firewall in both computers temporarily, and having one RT use the computer's name and another RT use the local IP address. With both methods I am able to read captions on both computers, but not with both RTs running at the same time, unfortunately. I have also tried installing the PF3 runtimes in the tablet (desktop already has them) - no soap. I would be grateful for any ideas that do not involve FSUIPC. I already use it extensively, but RT's captions and colors are far superior to FSUIPC's text.

As an addendum, for a future update, I would like for the instructions to be updated for the PF3.ini captions=1 fix just so future new users will be able to use RT quickly without having to check these forums.

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Post subject: Re: Multiple RemoteText at the same time?
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:07 am

I don't think this is implemented in PF3.

I already considered to add a webserver to my tiny RemoteText replacement, then this would easily be possible:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2108&p=11993#p11993

But as with many of such ideas, they need more time than I currently have available for such things.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
BF Bullpup
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:45 am

ThomasAH wrote: *  Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:07 am
I don't think this is implemented in PF3.

I already considered to add a webserver to my tiny RemoteText replacement, then this would easily be possible:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2108&p=11993#p11993

But as with many of such ideas, they need more time than I currently have available for such things.
I have tried that script you linked to, but received an error for the line with "except socket.error, inst:" The , was found to be incorrect syntax. At least that is my understanding - I know a few basic programming languages, but not Python.

Even if I am able to get the script to work, I assume PF3 can only send captions to one running application at a time in the same network anyway? Or would that Python script be able to obtain the captions from PF3 without conflicting with RemoteText?

Thank you for your reply.

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:05 am

BF Bullpup wrote: *  Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:45 am
I have tried that script you linked to, but received an error for the line with "except socket.error, inst:" The , was found to be incorrect syntax. At least that is my understanding - I know a few basic programming languages, but not Python.
You tried to use Python 3.x, the script is old and currently only works with Python 2.7.
BF Bullpup wrote: *  Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:45 am
Even if I am able to get the script to work, I assume PF3 can only send captions to one running application at a time in the same network anyway? Or would that Python script be able to obtain the captions from PF3 without conflicting with RemoteText?
It will have the same problem as RemoteText, but with the script you have the text in your "hands" and can do anything you like with it, e.g.
- writing it to a file and then reading this file from two computers, either using a network drive, a web server+browser or whatever
- acting as a proxy to send it to two RemoteText instances
- sending you an Email or SMS if your call sign is mentioned :)

All this needs additional implementation though.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
BF Bullpup
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:09 am

Thank you for your explanation, Thomas! :) For now I can live with only one RemoteText running but the ability to have multiple instances in the same network running would be wonderful for a future update.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:02 pm
Site Admin

This shouldn't be much of a problem... I will look into it later today and if possible will implement it ready for the next release, which will be sometime in July (this year! :lol: )

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
BF Bullpup
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:25 pm

Cheers David!

-Richard

Profile Quote
BF Bullpup
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:41 am

I have been able to get around to using PF3 again. I just realized two RemoteTexts are now supported. It works easily and perfectly on my end. Thank you David and team for making it happen!

Best,
Richard

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: