OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Assigning destination runway at departure airport?

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
martinlest
Post subject: Assigning destination runway at departure airport?
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:03 pm

Been looking through various threads as I seem to recall there were a number asking this - but I didn't find the answer. Sorry if I am repeating an old question for the umpteenth time (which I am sure I must be!).

Apart from going to the SID/STAR page and closing runways globally (or setting them up for Landing or Arrival only), how to ensure that ATC sends you to the destination runway for which you have already carefully set up a STAR approach (on the flight planner and in the aircraft FMC)? For now, I just ask for the runway I want if I am given the 'wrong one' when ATC ascribes it to me as I near the airport. Was there a better way in PF3? This would be nearer to real-world planning.

Similarly, can one do the same for the departure runway? ATC doesn't tell you which you'll be using until you ask for taxi clearance. Is that the moment (when you ask to taxi) at which PF3 makes the decision, or, if PF3 decides on the departure runway at an earlier stage, would there be some way to know at that time which runway has been chosen? Again, that'd be more 'realistic' than asking for runway changes every other time and ensure that the SIDs/STARs selected would not turn out to be for different runways than will finally be used.

Or maybe I am over-complicating things somehow??

Thanks!

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Assigning destination runway at departure airport?
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:34 pm
Site Admin

Well I don't think yo can setup your FMC for a particular runway at your destination, unless you are setting your weather up with a particular wind direction and then making sure it doesn't change. Remember, PF3 (ATC) will determine the 'correct' runway to use according to (a) if AI aircraft are using it or (b) by wind direction. You really can't decide which runway you want simply by entering it into your FMC, not even in the real world.

Or am I missing the point here?

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:36 pm

Hi Dave,

Well, my impression, not being a real-world pilot (clearly!) but having a large collection of 'cockpit' DVDs, is that the runway for arrival is part of the planning before departure, based on the weather conditions there (one of the reasons pre-flight planning puts so much emphasis on weather conditions at destination). If that weather changes, ATC can of course change the runway as necessary as the a/c nears its destination, and the pilots have to start reprogramming the FMC (or ask for the original runway in any case). The arrival page of the FMC is part and parcel of setting things up before departure (unless I am very mistaken), including the STAR and transitions if appropriate.

It would be great if PF3 allowed this setup so that ATC gave landing instructions for runways accordingly, choosing the approach and runway selected at the time of setting up the FMC at the point of origin. Assuming of course that I am right in this. I think I am, but I dare say anyone who thinks (or even knows) differently will contradict me.

Would such a thing be possible for you to programme into PF3 (sorry!!), in theory at least?

Martin

Profile Quote
Sabre
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:54 pm

I tried ACARS with Remotetext today, and ACARS appear not functional at all. After sending the request the Remotetext just shows ACARS request sent... Nothing more. Please fix it.

Thanks.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:28 pm
Site Admin

martinlest wrote: *  Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:36 pm
Hi Dave,

Well, my impression, not being a real-world pilot (clearly!) but having a large collection of 'cockpit' DVDs, is that the runway for arrival is part of the planning before departure, based on the weather conditions there (one of the reasons pre-flight planning puts so much emphasis on weather conditions at destination). If that weather changes, ATC can of course change the runway as necessary as the a/c nears its destination, and the pilots have to start reprogramming the FMC (or ask for the original runway in any case). The arrival page of the FMC is part and parcel of setting things up before departure (unless I am very mistaken), including the STAR and transitions if appropriate.

It would be great if PF3 allowed this setup so that ATC gave landing instructions for runways accordingly, choosing the approach and runway selected at the time of setting up the FMC at the point of origin. Assuming of course that I am right in this. I think I am, but I dare say anyone who thinks (or even knows) differently will contradict me.

Would such a thing be possible for you to programme into PF3 (sorry!!), in theory at least?

Martin
Well even if I could do what you suggest it would be very realistic if, when arriving at your destination, AI traffic were using the opposite runway would it?

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:30 pm
Site Admin

Sabre wrote: *  Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:54 pm
I tried ACARS with Remotetext today, and ACARS appear not functional at all. After sending the request the Remotetext just shows ACARS request sent... Nothing more. Please fix it.

Thanks.
Asking me to 'fix it' assumes you believe something is broken... but it's not! I think you're using P3D? ACARS ATIS uses the FS Kneeboard which is not supported in PF3. In fact it may not even be available period. ACARS ATIS certainly does not display in RemoteText

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:33 pm

Quote:
Well even if I could do what you suggest it would be very realistic if, when arriving at your destination, AI traffic were using the opposite runway would it?
Yes, that's very true - though I don't have any AI traffic to worry about in the air in my X-Plane setup. But most users will have, of course!

If it were there perhaps as an option (?????) :D

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:51 pm
Site Admin

martinlest wrote: *  Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:33 pm
Quote:
Yes, that's very true - though I don't have any AI traffic to worry about in the air in my X-Plane setup. But most users will have, of course!

If it were there perhaps as an option (?????) :D
Surely, if you plan your flight and setup your FMC for arrival before you actually depart, and you do so by checking the weather at your destination, if that weather doesn't change then PF3 will assign you the correct runway, according to the wind direction. So this shouldn't really be a problem. If the weather does change then don't you want to be landing on the best runway according to the wind or do you just want to follow your pre-programmed FMC regardless?

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:05 pm

Quote:
don't you want to be landing on the best runway according to the wind or do you just want to follow your pre-programmed FMC regardless?
No, if the wind changed I would probably change the runway, all things being equal.

Actually, you are probably right - if I check the winds at the destination then in theory at least setting the appropriate runway at the start of the flight should hold good, barring big weather changes. I'll see how it goes.... I just bought a new a/c in XP11 (ToLiSs a319, which, rare amongst flightsim planes, has full support for SIDs/STARs - amazing how many do not), so I am trying to get this right!

Thanks Dave. I'll post back if things really don't work out for some reason.

Profile Quote
Sabre
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:42 pm

dmarch wrote: *  Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:30 pm
Asking me to 'fix it' assumes you believe something is broken... but it's not! I think you're using P3D? ACARS ATIS uses the FS Kneeboard which is not supported in PF3. In fact it may not even be available period. ACARS ATIS certainly does not display in RemoteText
Why does ATIS work without RemoteText (on a client pc) when on the main screen in P3Dv4.2 then? Yes with some hiccups described in another thread but still works in P3D. So it's not that "period" like full stop.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: