OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Flying Without SID/STAR

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 21 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
ThomasAH
Post subject: Re: Flying Without SID/STAR
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:41 am

If receiving vectors sometimes work, but is late, there can be two reasons:
- Do you minimize PF3? If yes: Windows reduces the performance of minimized applications, which may cause delays.
- Are you sure that you reach your last waypoint? Depending on your speed you may need to be within 2.5NM of your last waypoint (with a bit leeway if your aircraft is faster) for PF3 to accept that you have reached it.

As others have said: If you have problems during a flight, save the debug log, zip it, and attach it here.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:14 pm

njuser wrote: *  Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:48 am
All good to know. Thank you. (Sorry for the delayed response....work.) So I will not request vectors. When I reach that last way point, just keep flying in that direction until control says something? Should the instructions come almost immediately upon reaching that way point? I find much of the time that they don't. In some instances, I will get lucky and be cleared to lower altitudes and possibly even vectored toward the airport. Once, I was getting close to the airport and even at an appropriate altitude but never handed over to approach or told which runway to expect. This was a while ago, so not sure how to access a log file for that. Regardless, I am sure it was something I did like a missed instruction earlier in the flight or flying at an accelerated sim rate that messed things up. So again, back to the notion that I need a really simply flight plan flown at normal sim rate to figure out where things are going wrong. Thank you again!!
Your log files are in PF3\logs "strange but true!" But you must zip the files forthem to be uploaded. Dave has said many times that PF3 doesn't support acceleration. So sometimes it might work sometimes not. What you are saying indicated that your flightplan is not properly set-up for the flight in question. PF3 will make a pretty good stab at creating a workable fpl profile, but in any case as has already been said you should always check your fpl against "real" data and adjust if and where necessary. That has to be done even in the real world. Even the real "professional" software is lacking.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
njuser
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:41 am

YES!!! Success. Thank you for all the help. So did a short one hour flight and everything worked as it seems it should have using all of the recommendations. I was using the PMDG 777 and set VC to mode 2 (handles comm and flies the plane) to be safe, but didn't really see that the copilot was following ATC instructions. Not sure how that mode works. So I managed the autopilot when I saw that the directions weren't being followed. Not such a big deal since I usually manage the autopilot.

The airport I flew out of usually has a fly runway heading departure so no issues there. Let's say, though, that I fly out of LAX where there is usually the big sweeping left turn on departure over the Pacific or want to fly the Canarse climb from JFK 31L...I'm not sure how to program these departure procedures in the FMC or more importantly request them from PF3 since I think they are departure procedures and not specifically a SID (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG ON THAT)...so my question is: if I fly out of LAX or JFK and for realism sake, make these turns without actually being cleared for them, will that be enough to "confuse" PF3 and lead to some kind of error where I am not vectored later on when approaching my destination. Eg...very unusual to be vectored for a right turn on departure from JFK 31L which has happened to me using PF3...so will ignoring that instruction and make that left turn mess things up before returning to the route plan?

Thanks!!!!

Seth

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:31 am

njuser wrote: *  Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:41 am
I was using the PMDG 777 and set VC to mode 2 (handles comm and flies the plane) to be safe, but didn't really see that the copilot was following ATC instructions.
In CP Mode 2, the copilot just handles the comms. The copilot flies the plane in CP Mode 3.

njuser wrote: *  Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:41 am
Let's say, though, that I fly out of LAX where there is usually the big sweeping left turn on departure over the Pacific or want to fly the Canarse climb from JFK 31L.
In these situations, you are flying a departure procedure and you do not want PF3 vectoring you after takeoff, so you would check (tick) the SID box on the SID/STAR page before your flight. This turns off vectoring after takeoff, so you would not be given an initial heading to fly and you would not be vectored to your first waypoint. You can fly the procedure by hand or enter the procedure in your FMC. PF3 does not know the details of the procedure you are flying and assumes you know what you are doing. If however you want PF3 to vector you in the usual way, leave the SID function off. You will then get an initial heading and vectors to your first waypoint, but you need to follow the instructions. See the User Guide (in your PF3\Help folder) p. 44 for more information.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
njuser
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks! Yes, I meant mode 3 then. Let me confirm on the next flight that I did that properly. Thanks you for the info about the SIDs. I will try that next time as well. Much appreciated.

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:32 pm

njuser wrote: *  Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:12 pm
Thanks! Yes, I meant mode 3 then.
PF3 only controls the native autopilot of FS9/FSX/P3D, but not add-on autopilots of PMDG and many other complex add-ons with custom coding for the AP.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:33 am

ThomasAH wrote: *  Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:32 pm
njuser wrote: *  Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:12 pm
Thanks! Yes, I meant mode 3 then.
PF3 only controls the native autopilot of FS9/FSX/P3D, but not add-on autopilots of PMDG and many other complex add-ons with custom coding for the AP.
That's why I use CP mode 2 as otherwise one often has anomalies. You are so constantly having to check that the PO has/is doing his job one might as well do it oneself, therefore mode 2!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
cmg344
Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:49 pm

What a lot of interesting information does this post have!

Kind regards,

Carlos

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:14 am

cmg344 wrote: *  Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:49 pm
What a lot of interesting information does this post have!
It's just demonstrating one aspect of PF3's flexibility :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
njuser
Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:00 pm

Yes! This has been very helpful to me. Thank you all. Unfortunately, haven't had a chance to try another flight. I'm looking forward to eventually understanding as much as possible to start flying more realistic procedures. And long hauls. :)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 21 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Jump to: