OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Some problems with PFE

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
dolph98
Post subject: Some problems with PFE
Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:08 am

Hi Dave,
I have been flying a lot lately, using either PFE or another brand of ATC. I use the other brand for uncontrolled airports because I like the company it keeps. For controlled airports, PFE is my choice. I also like PFE for longer flights because of the various voices I get, not the usual 6 or 7 voices.

The issues I have are few but bothersome. First, some of the controllers commands do not come through but the pilot's response does - if it weren't for that I wouldn't know what I was to do. This happens with intermediate altitude commands on climb-out, or heading changes. Second, the controller's voice is sometimes rushed so that parts of what he/she is saying is truncated, particularly numbers like frequencies and that. The third issue is more serious but does not always happen - that is I am instructed to take off or land opposite of the prevailing winds and traffic! This causes untold heartache as you can imagine.

What can I do to alleviate some of these problems? I have thought of going out of FS and giving PFE "high priority" in task manager. Do you think that will help?

That won't fix the take-off or landing directions however. Just so you know, my weather is controlled by Active Sky Evolution, before that it was Active Sky Advanced. The upgrade did not make things better or worse, this landing issue happens intermittently with both versions.

I can send a debug log if you want me to. These problems do not always occur as I stated before so I can turn on the debug level to whatever setting you suggest and wait until it happens then send it.

You and I solved issues in the past so I know I can count on you to be attentive to this.

Thanks in advance.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Some problems with PFE
Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:59 am
Site Admin

First I need to know what version of PFE you are using.... I hope it's 2.11.1

The missing commands tend to be a bad installation so I would suggest you download and install the cummlative update from the sticky post above entitled 'PFE Manual Installation Instructions'. After that you should be on version 2.10 so use the 'Check for Updates' button to get up to 2.11.1

The fast speaking controller(s) should be thought of as a touch of realism. Can you understand every controller you hear in the real world? I know I can't ;-) However, unlike the real world you can suppress any voice set in PFE you don't like the sound of or simply can't understand. Full instructions on how to do so are in the latest user guide (Document Issue 1.11) on page 57, section 7.2.23 Excluding Individual Voice

With regard to the assigned runway (again I hope you're using 2.11.1) this can happen but usually very rarely. I have seen it myself on an approach where AI Traffic actually switch runways but because PFE had detected AI Traffic landing on one runway (before the switch) that is the one I was given. Easiest solution is to simply ask ATC for the other runway. The other time this can happen is if your not using any weather at all or if the wind speed is zero. In that case the AI Traffic usually takeoff/land as if the wind is from 180 degrees... don't ask me why... they just do.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
dolph98
Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:27 am

Thanks Dave,
My version is 2.11.1. There was a posting from me in December last year where I asked if I needed a file called Xinstall3.exe and it turned out I did not. That post is on page 5 of the forum about 1/3 down. At that time, I was searching for an answer to a PFE crashing problem and it turned out to be that I had not rebuilt the database for FSX after building it for FS9. My point is that I reinstalled and updated at that time so I sort of doubt it will help. Anyway, I will try reinstalling again and keep you posted.
I think I will call it subliminal messages to change to another heading or altitude. Yeah, that's it, the controller is messaging me with his powers. 8^)
I have to fly tonight, last night I spent all night installing the new version of GEX and testing it. It is a must have for ground graphics, I can tell ya.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:50 am
Site Admin

If you get the same missing commands please send me the debug_monitor.log

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “PFE Support”
Jump to: