OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Qualitywings 787 Reduce Speed to 140 Kts

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
Dave Leesley
Post subject: Qualitywings 787 Reduce Speed to 140 Kts
Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:43 pm

Hi Dave,
just thinking out loud here, I was on final approach to EGLL and was told by controller to reduce speed to 140Kts,my gross weight was over 350000lbs with 48k lbs fuel onboard (testing new profile hence the weight) obviously dropping to that speed created a stall (that also was my fault as I had set it to 140Kts in profile so I take full responsibility for that :oops: ).
If we get a call to reduce speed to xxx Kts and it's too low for our weight can we deny call from ATC so it doesn't nag to reduce speed,maybe a popup saying accept or deny so we can stay at sensible and safe speed incase the user forgets to change it in profile, a sort of override system,

Regards Dave
Forum Moderator

[ img ]
[ img ]

Profile Quote
drumsart
Post subject: Re: Qualitywings 787 Reduce Speed to 140 Kts
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:03 am

+1 8-)

Regards,

Richard Portier
MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core™ i7-4770K CPU Oc @ 4.5GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB|Windows10Pro64|P3Dv5|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:01 am

I would not like to see such a popup (and I assume this would be like the messages you get when requesting a different runway or warp to a waypoint), but something that is simply done by (existing) hotkeys would be fine.

One possibility would be to allow the "N,Negative answer (No)" hotkey in this situation (and maybe later other situations) to say "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.". This would probably need the VCP below mode #2, because a Readback followed by Negative sounds strange.

Is requesting different altitudes still important (or even possible) at this point of approach? So maybe the request higher/lower altitude keys can be interpreted as request higher/lower speed at this point? (e.g. H5 to add 50 kts to your 190, so you still get speed restrictions, but you can adjust them)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:33 am

Dave Leesley wrote: *  Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:43 pm
Hi Dave,
just thinking out loud here, I was on final approach to EGLL and was told by controller to reduce speed to 140Kts,my gross weight was over 350000lbs with 48k lbs fuel onboard (testing new profile hence the weight) obviously dropping to that speed created a stall (that also was my fault as I had set it to 140Kts in profile so I take full responsibility for that :oops: ).
If we get a call to reduce speed to xxx Kts and it's too low for our weight can we deny call from ATC so it doesn't nag to reduce speed,maybe a popup saying accept or deny so we can stay at sensible and safe speed incase the user forgets to change it in profile, a sort of override system,
Dave,
What have you got set-up in your aircraft preset? For the 787 you should have 160 IAS as your approach speed. If you know your a/c is going to be at max landing weight then up that to 170. PF3 should not then ask you to reduce your speed any lower than either of these set speeds. Remember your approach speed is "not" your screen speed. You reduce from 160/170 at about 6DME from the threshold to your you screen speed which is dependant on your weight and crosswind component.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
RALF9636
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:08 pm

ThomasAH wrote: *  Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:01 am

One possibility would be to allow the "N,Negative answer (No)" hotkey in this situation (and maybe later other situations) to say "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.". This would probably need the VCP below mode #2, because a Readback followed by Negative sounds strange.
I like the idea of using N (egative) as a general "unable" reply. For speed and altitude commands it could mean that there won't be any nagging any more - or a clearance to maintain the current altitude resp. speed, for vectors it could be followed by a clearance to final at pilot's discretion.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:29 am

RALF9636 wrote: *  Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:08 pm
ThomasAH wrote: *  Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:01 am

I like the idea of using N (egative) as a general "unable" reply. For speed and altitude commands it could mean that there won't be any nagging any more - or a clearance to maintain the current altitude resp. speed, for vectors it could be followed by a clearance to final at pilot's discretion.
Perhaps "U" could be added to the hotkey list as the call "Unable" exists. But from the point of view of PF3 giving final approach speeds it won't go below what you enter into the a/c preset. For all jet transports except Concorde enter 160kts unless you are going to land at max auw. In which case enter 170. For Concorde enter 190. If you are a "heavy" slow down from 160kts to your screen speed at 6DME from the threshold. Otherwise slow down from 4DME. Your screen speed is your Vat. Which you calculate from the aircraft weight and any crosswind component. Vat+5 for normal landings.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave Leesley
Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:06 pm

vololiberista wrote: *  Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:33 am
Dave Leesley wrote: *  Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:43 pm
Hi Dave,
Dave,
What have you got set-up in your aircraft preset? For the 787 you should have 160 IAS as your approach speed. If you know your a/c is going to be at max landing weight then up that to 170. PF3 should not then ask you to reduce your speed any lower than either of these set speeds. Remember your approach speed is "not" your screen speed. You reduce from 160/170 at about 6DME from the threshold to your you screen speed which is dependant on your weight and crosswind component.
Sorted..i was also using ASN,should have just done a std flight to begin with and no weather,did another and it went flawless, changed profile to read 170kts approach speed :D

Regards Dave
Forum Moderator

[ img ]
[ img ]

Profile Quote
JohnY
Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:07 pm

I know what it should be anyway for each aircraft whether it be for faster jets and slower prop 'planes and I can't be bothered to keep getting nagged for different approach speeds, so I've simply turned off the final approach speed control!

Saves a lot of messing about. :)

John

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:01 pm

JohnY wrote: *  Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:07 pm
I know what it should be anyway for each aircraft whether it be for faster jets and slower prop 'planes and I can't be bothered to keep getting nagged for different approach speeds, so I've simply turned off the final approach speed control!

Saves a lot of messing about. :)

John
PF3 is very flexible in that respect. You probably would not be given speed reductions if you were flying into a quiet airport and therefore the only one on approach. But for busy airports you would expect it. Even so I wouldn't call it "messing about!" I would call it realism.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: