OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Batch / Automate adding SIDs / STARs

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
cnoblesd01
Post subject: Batch / Automate adding SIDs / STARs
Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:38 pm

Hi All, just got this product and so far so good - I like it and the fact I can get right on the forums is a big plus.

So my question is this: Is there a way to batch add SIDs/STARs from the files on PMDG\SIDSTARS files? (or other places that have this data of course) or a format to import them to an file of some sort?

This SIDs/STARs for VHHX alone are over 50....

Thanks All!

-C.Noble

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Batch / Automate adding SIDs / STARs
Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:52 am
Site Admin

I guess this begs the question as to why do you want to copy this data from one file to another file?

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
voju24
Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:21 pm

Hi,

@Dave, I think he doesn't want to have to enter the SID/STAR names, manually and just get the choice for each runway already when he goes to the SID STAR menu for an airport.
Like use the PMDG Navigraph data to prefill the choices in the SID STARS menu.

Best,

David

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:29 pm

I think the list only allows for 10 of each STARs and SIDs not 50 as requested. And I was able to find a minute or two of my precious time to enter them manually. Oh and because PF3 saves the data I won't have to enter them again unless there's a change.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:46 pm

As vololiberista suggested: Entering just what you need is enough, usually most of the STARs don't apply anyway (either due to being for the wrong type of aircraft or for the wrong direction of approach). Just make it part of your flight planning.
Alternatively you could simply use the generic STAR "ST" by not entering any runway-specific STARs, but enabling the STAR feature.

I think Dave has reading AIRAC data on his TODO list (or at least on the list of things to evaluate), but with above things you should already be able to have an enjoyable flight.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
cnoblesd01
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:26 pm

Thanks for the replies.

What I am not sure of - and perhaps is the inexperience talking here - is if I enter a name; how does PF3 know to "do" the ATC for the STAR or SID I've entered into the PMDG 777 FMC?

As for the Flight plan - is it the process to have an intersection that is marked "ST" and then enter the remaining intersections the points that make up the "STAR" points? With alt call outs - how do we set Below/Above? For instance, at VHHX, one of the points in the STAR has a below 8000 / above 6000 intersection. (Or Am I complicating this?)

Thanks in advance - as someone that has only flown VFR in a C172... some of this is new to me.

Cheers!

-C.Noble
PMDG "PAA" 777

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:27 pm

cnoblesd01 wrote: *  Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:26 pm
Thanks for the replies.

What I am not sure of - and perhaps is the inexperience talking here - is if I enter a name; how does PF3 know to "do" the ATC for the STAR or SID I've entered into the PMDG 777 FMC?

As for the Flight plan - is it the process to have an intersection that is marked "ST" and then enter the remaining intersections the points that make up the "STAR" points? With alt call outs - how do we set Below/Above? For instance, at VHHX, one of the points in the STAR has a below 8000 / above 6000 intersection. (Or Am I complicating this?)

Thanks in advance - as someone that has only flown VFR in a C172... some of this is new to me.

Cheers!

-C.Noble

PMDG "PAA" 777
PF3 knows nothing of your FMC.

Sometimes you may have to create 2 fpls one for the sim and one for the FMC. Flying into LOWI for rwy 08 via rw 26 sometimes requires that. But here is fpl from ZJHK to VHHX
FF27 MLT SAMAS SIKOU CHALI CH.

It works both in PF3 and in my INS and is about one hour.
Your initial altitude would be 9,800. Enter DP next to MLT in the wypts adjustments page. Your cruise should be FL240. Enter FL160 next to CHALI and make that ST on the wypt adjustments. CH should be 8,000. Make sure your FAF/FAP in PF3 for VHHX is set to 4,500. Set transition altitude at VHHX to 11,000 and at ZJHK 12,000. This fpl was set up for a landing on rwy 13 at Kai Tak. CH is a published hold so you may be asked to hold there. If so make the necessary procedural turn. Leaving CH descend to 4,500 and turn onto the IGS approach.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:35 am

vololiberista wrote: *  Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:27 pm
cnoblesd01 wrote: *  Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:26 pm
Thanks for the replies.

Cheers!

-C.Noble

PMDG "PAA" 777
PF3 knows nothing of your FMC.

Sometimes you may have to create 2 fpls one for the sim and one for the FMC. Flying into LOWI for rwy 08 via rw 26 sometimes requires that. But here is fpl from ZJHK to VHHX
FF27 MLT SAMAS SIKOU CHALI CH.

It works both in PF3 and in my INS and is about one hour.
Your initial altitude would be 9,800. Enter DP next to MLT in the wypts adjustments page. Your cruise should be FL240. Enter FL160 next to CHALI and make that ST on the wypt adjustments. CH should be 8,000. Make sure your FAF/FAP in PF3 for VHHX is set to 4,500. Set transition altitude at VHHX to 11,000 and at ZJHK 12,000. This fpl was set up for a landing on rwy 13 at Kai Tak. CH is a published hold so you may be asked to hold there. If so make the necessary procedural turn. Leaving CH descend to 4,500 and turn onto the IGS approach.
I forgot to add that of course you can also go to the sids/stars page in PF3 and select the SID and STAR from the drop down list. And you doun't need 50 entries for VHHX. Just add the ones you use regularly.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
cnoblesd01
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:40 pm

I think I'm getting the hang of this.... and see why it's "just" nav points and procedures.

So follow up question: Since all this NAV 'stuff' is fairly new (I've been a VRS SuperBug "pilot" for a few years) and since Kai Tak is the perfect airport to learn on (haha) .. how does one "declare" a missed approach?

And I'm asking this because my mentor was a Brown Shoe and always told me the same applies in business as in aviation: Never embarrass a pilot by asking if he was a fighter pilot; he'd have told you already ... and ALWAYS "Aviate Navigate Communicate"

So in the commercial world of P3D/ATC ... seems if I do not communicate first, ATC loses track of me and the PMDG 777 A/P doesn't know what to do even with the hold point set up in FMC. Sp the next logical question.. once I figure out how to get to the hold pattern; does ATC vector you back for another attempt?

Thanks for all your patience and GREAT information. I've done a few of the demos on youtube... but still learning.

Cheers!

-C. Noble

Profile Quote
cnoblesd01
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:36 pm

Also... I got a subscription to the Aerosoft charts... it's making FAR more sense now as to how this all works. (Somone posted Kai Tak Jeppson charts too)

Still trying to work through how PF3 - P3D ATC - RAAS - FMC all interact...

Which brings up the flight plan vs FMC vs ATC. Seems that the FPL places waypoints in the wrong direction sometimes. For instance, if I go out "KSFO - MOLEN 8", the first waypoint in the FPL is "GOBBS". Since the SID ends at "MOLEN", the FMC wants to go back to "GOBBS". Clearly - I can fix this in the FMC - but ATC wants me to fly "GOBBS => DUBRY =>"

So to be clear(er)

FPL as Filed (ATC directions):
KSFO DCT GOBBS DCT DUBRY DCT VESPA DCT

FMC (before fix where GOBBS and DURBY are behind me @ MOLEN)
KSFO WESLA STINS MOLEN *GOBBS* DCT *DUBRY* DCT VESPA DCT

** But I still want to fly the SID - or preferable, SID NIITE3 (same issues, different path)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: